Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mallguy

Greenville Summit

3 posts in this topic

I've posted about this building before-the yellow former hotel that is across the street from First Presbyterian and diagonally across from the Aloft hotel.  I've always been intrigued by it.

Why hasn't it been renovated like the Poinsett Hotel was?  Is its interior just nothing to be excited about, and too costly to fix up? 

Are there are any plans or rumors about it?  It's certainly a good location now.  I assume that there are so many new hotels coming downtown that it would be a while before such a large block of hotel space would be needed.

I also remember going to the Poinsett Hotel in the '80s when it was senior housing.  The main restaurant (overlooking Main Street) was open then, even though the rest of the building was a retirement center. I wonder if the main restaurant space in the Greenville Summit could be fixed up and open to the public in that way?

I remember when it was a dumpy hotel in the '70s, then closed, and then derelict, and then fixed up in the '80s, but it's looking pretty ragged again (not as bad as it was, though).  Couldn't it be turned into better housing than it is now-perhaps a small hotel and condos?  While I'd be reluctant to move its current residents, such a prime piece of real estate surely hasn't found its best use as low-income housing.

It would look bad to make seniors move form their home just to make a buck, especially when the Scott Towers units haven't been replaced yet. 

1 person likes this

Also, if the property happened to be under a LURA contract it could be years before you may be able to do anything other than affordable housing.  I don't know if it is or not, but I would not be surprised.