LEWIS PLAZA REDEVELOPMENT: Harris Teeter

NBNY2GRNVL

• 1 month later...

What might explain the delay, according to what I have heard, is the developer was just developing a pad for HT but HT is building their own building on the site.  HT just wasnt ready to get started when the pad was delivered to them.

• 2 months later...

I  was by there the other day and the framework looks to be almost done on the HT. What struck me was  how small the parking lot is in front and it has to be shared with all the other businesses and the bank in front. That is a large store compared to what was there before. I think they made a huge mistake not putting parking underneath the store.  There is a free standing  Wells Fargo ATM drive-thru on the left  which takes  up more spaces. They could have put that  at the bank building on front. 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Starbucks will be included within this Harris Teeter.

Bon Secours is going in next door. 

What’s going inside the old CVS?

Jersey Mikes is now open right nearby. 

The improvements for the shopping center with Moe’s and Verizon are starting to look really good. 

Edited by gman430

3 hours ago, gman430 said:

Starbucks will be included within this Harris Teeter.

Bon Secours is going in next door. 

What’s going inside the old CVS?

Jersey Mikes is now open right nearby. 

The improvements for the shopping center with Moe’s and Verizon are starting to look really good. 

Exciting to see this come together!   On the downside, Augusta at this intersection is going to be a train wreck.   Really wish they could have worked with Scdot to get a left turn lane in at this stoplight somehow.  

Edited by chuckyvt

• 2 weeks later...

Has Harris Teeter really thought this investment through?  Greenville is a much more competitive market than it was in the ‘90s, when the chain opened a few stores in town and closed them.  Back then the only options were Bi-Lo, Ingles and Winn-Dixie, other than the Fresh Market.  Now Publix, Lowe’s Foods and Whole Foods are also around and are stiffer competition.

17 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Has Harris Teeter really thought this investment through?  Greenville is a much more competitive market than it was in the ‘90s, when the chain opened a few stores in town and closed them.  Back then the only options were Bi-Lo, Ingles and Winn-Dixie, other than the Fresh Market.  Now Publix, Lowe’s Foods and Whole Foods are also around and are stiffer competition.

I suppose it's at least partly because HT is now owned by Kroger, and so has deeper pockets at its disposal.

HT's '90's investment in Greenville was half-hearted, at best. Three locations including  the "warehouse" at Roper Mt. Rd and 385. Publix easily knocked them out with a wave of new stores, and is also investing a lot here in the CLT area right now. CLT is as competitive as GVL.

Personally, I prefer HT to Publix. Whole Foods and Fresh Market are familiar rivals, and aren't direct competition, anyway.

Edited by Exile
addendum

4 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Harris Teeter will do great on Augusta Rd. There is no Lowe's Food or Whole Foods in that area. This  store looks nicer than any Publix and certainly BI-LO around here.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I tested out going to the HT at Lewis Plaza today vs. the downtown Publix:

1. The HT is very close to Crescent Avenue, but navigating Augusta Road (vs. a straight shot down McDaniel to Publix) might be a disincentive for people who live midway between both stores.  

2.  The parking lot in front of the HT seems kind of small for such a large store.

I would expect some people in Alta Vista to shift from Publix to HT but there is so much continuing growth downtown that the Publix should continue to do fine.

Where do people in Chanticleer and the west side of Augusta Road grocery shop now?  Surely not the Bi-Lo next to Kmart...or do they?

Also, Lewis Plaza is basically gone now: just a few smaller stores left!

Edited by PuppiesandKittens

11 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Where do people in Chanticleer and the west side of Augusta Road grocery shop now?  Surely not the Bi-Lo next to Kmart...or do they?

Also, Lewis Plaza is basically gone now: just a few smaller stores left!

Many of those Augusta Rd shoppers go to the Publix on S Pleasantburg.

1 hour ago, Exile said:

That's right.

That Publix's survival amazes me; but I wonder what effect HT will have on it. Interesting to see.

The McAlister Square Publix always seems pretty busy, despite being in a semi-derelict area.

Publix seems to get higher customer-satisfaction scores than Harris Teeter, so Publix has that going for it.

With all of these "better" grocery stores in town, makes me realize how horrid the grocery store scene was when I was a kid (when only Bi-Lo and Winn-Dixie were the options in town that I knew of).

1 hour ago, Gville29601 said:

How is the parking? Doesn't seem like enough spots for such a large store.

The parking lot was slammed, but the store didn't seem overly crowded. There were a lot of people there, but the larger store footprint made it seem less crowded than a normal weeknight at the DT Publix; dodging other people, their carts and the like. They may wish they had more parking once the weekend rolls around. 

Edited by Joey_Blackdogg