Scott's Addition Development

varunner

With all the developments in Scott's Addition, it definitely needs its own thread. 

http://wtvr.com/2016/02/22/scotts-addition-breweries-flock-to-area/ 

saba2.jpg?w=1200&h=804

A new three story office building and 2x 4 story apartment buildings coming to Scott's Addition. 

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/article_01dbb95e-10c6-5559-be8c-e2557f89bd25.html 

56d0da5f3d278.image.jpg?resize=760%2C379

• Like 3

6 hours ago, varunner said:

With all the developments in Scott's Addition, it definitely needs its own thread. 

http://wtvr.com/2016/02/22/scotts-addition-breweries-flock-to-area/ 

saba2.jpg?w=1200&h=804

A new three story office building and 2x 4 story apartment buildings coming to Scott's Addition. 

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/article_01dbb95e-10c6-5559-be8c-e2557f89bd25.html 

56d0da5f3d278.image.jpg?resize=760%2C379

This looks like a great project. What's more, one of our own was part of this deal.  Awesome!

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I don't think they are super bad looking. Sure, there could be a better design out there, but what's important here is that this brings in more residents in the area and it sets a new standard with the height.  From a developer's point of view, adding additional flair and elaborate design adds cost which cuts into their bottom line...and no one is going to do this unless they can make enough money to make this project worth it.  So, it's not the best design, but I think it works. Just because it looks new doesn't mean that it looks like a transplant from NOVA or Short Pump...in fact I'm getting tired of hearing people say that as an argument against the design. 

1 hour ago, hikendesign said:

What a good problem to have - we get to fuss over the design details for buildings in the city instead of watching them go up in the suburbs or another city. 

Completely agreed! Do I like the design of these buildings? Not really. Am I totally okay with them being built in Scott's Addition? Yes. First of all the neighborhood doesn't really have complex or historical architecture. So while they don't fit into the existing fabric it's not like they are destroying a long standing and established environment or feel of a neighborhood. I will take the added people any day, and maybe years from now when Richmond has the population I would like it to have, then I'll be more critical over the architecture. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, jbjust said:

So am I the only one who thinks these are hideous?  Looks like something you'd see at Tyson's Corner straddling Route 7. 

I tend to agree with you. The height is a little out of place, but surely they are expecting pushback and will settle for something a tad shorter. My biggest gripe is that the architecture is totally out of place. It doesn't have to look like a mid rise warehouse but it could take more inspiration from the grittiness of the neighborhood. Density is good (low rise warehouse adaptive reuse alone won't create the vibrancy the neighborhood needs) but let's try a little harder to build things we'll be proud to have for the next 50 years. Lastly, the big parking lot on the roseneath frontage (what will be a main thoroughfare in the neighborhood) is awful. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This really just doesn't bother me that much. They haven't decreased the amount of units, in fact it looks like they've possibly increased them. Height in Scott's Addition just isn't important to me at all. Residential and commercial development is what the area needs, tall buildings are really unnecessary there. Not that I would have minded the height.

I have always hoped for more height around the I-195 corridor around the Broad Street interchange to fit in with some of the existing development to create a proper Mid-town, so this is highly disappointing.  With the potential views I could have understood where someone would be interested in buying a condo in this area but otherwise they would just be better off investing in a town-home just south of Broad or renting (unless these condos are cheap).

Edited by Icetera
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...