Scott's Addition Development

varunner

Wldcoupe4, is this the news you were talking about?

Need Supply Co is moving its HQ from Carytown to Scott's Addition and will fill the old Evatran building:

https://www.richmond.com/business/local/need-supply-co-relocating-headquarters-to-scott-s-addition-taking/article_3ceb372e-575f-5db9-b60d-68b39069ed55.html?utm_source=RTD Email&utm_medium=_Breaking NewsActive Subscribers&utm_campaign=_Breaking News

My question is this...what happened to Evatran?  I know they didn't get bought out by the Chinese company, but did they just dissolve and go away?

Edited by eandslee

13 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Wldcoupe4, is this the news you were talking about?

Need Supply Co is moving its HQ from Carytown to Scott's Addition and will fill the old Evatran building:

https://www.richmond.com/business/local/need-supply-co-relocating-headquarters-to-scott-s-addition-taking/article_3ceb372e-575f-5db9-b60d-68b39069ed55.html?utm_source=RTD Email&utm_medium=_Breaking NewsActive Subscribers&utm_campaign=_Breaking News

My question is this...what happened to Evatran?  I know they didn't get bought out by the Chinese company, but did they just dissolve and go away?

Their whole product idea was very stupid.  It takes me less than 5 seconds to plug in my car at night and I can't imagine paying any money for a "solution" that creates a trip hazard in my garage for the entire time I'm not using it for the sake of saving 5 seconds.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jbjust said:

Their whole product idea was very stupid.  It takes me less than 5 seconds to plug in my car at night and I can't imagine paying any money for a "solution" that creates a trip hazard in my garage for the entire time I'm not using it for the sake of saving 5 seconds.  

If I remember right they were bought out for quite a bit of money by a Chinese company. I guess other people are interested in wireless car charging. I know I like it on my phone, and that's probably even more lazy than not having to plug in your car haha.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here’s another 6-story development planned in Scott’s Addition one block off of Broad street that will bring more height to the area!  This is great news, but I really wish another architect would be selected to design these buildings.  I have yet to see a design that I really like from Walter Parks. This design is not that great...although it might fit into the neighborhood with its mid 20th century look to it.  Construction will probably begin next year:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2018/10/24/six-story-development-nest-across-lunch-supper/

• Like 3

I like the look of this one.  I like my apartment buildings to look like apartment buildings.  The brick thing with arches undef construction on Roseneath is the worst.  

At first I thought this was fronting Broad.  I liked it  better  for that location.  I suppose the design could be more homey for Marshall Street but overall I like this one (and I’m still hopeful that the one downtown will surprise us). 

• Like 1

The one on Marshall Street in Jackson Ward is the best looking one under construction, IMO.  More of those please. 

I do typically like a form fits function design better than “luxury”.   These nondescript (but attractive) buildings seem to make Richmond more “city like” to me.  The “look at me” trash that is  permeating the South really bothers me.   I’ll take Upper West Side (or 60’s DuPont Circle) over Greenville any day. 

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 1

I also live in a Walter Parks condo on Broad.   The finishes are cheap but they are generally non-offensive.  

I’m hopeful that the inset balconies will really be orange,  something with  a pop. 

The 40+ year old precast building on Grace (near Harrison) stilll looks good to me.  That precast brick stuff never looks good though.  Glad it isn’t being used much here. 

Edited by Brent114

I’m pretty sure it’s orange plank, so I don’t think there is any brick issues to worry about. As far as overall appearance, I’ll agree, it isn’t the prettiest building in the neighborhood, but it’s buildings that aren’t always as pretty that really add character to neighborhoods. I think this is a great infill development and could lead to more height in Scott’s addition on broad. Glad to see these sort of developments popping up, really shows the demand for apartments in the city!

• Like 2

What’s your idea of an attractive 6 story apartment building  built this century?  The new construction at the GRTC site on Cary turned out nice (Midwest feels). 

I haven’t really seen anything much better in Chicago, Denver or  Milwaukee (the last three places I’ve visited)  but I’ve seen a lot worse (Manchester I’m looking at you). 

Looks like Seattle is building nice stuff but that aesthetic prolly won’t work here. 

• 2 weeks later...