Scott's Addition Development

varunner

15 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Construction fencing is now up for this project.

Also, we officially have gone vertical with the project in front of UMFS with rebar in place for the first columns.

Nice classic Mustang in the artist's conceptual rendering, BTW!  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Shakman said:

I'm not seeing any opportunities for ground floor retail.

Retail is going to be a hard sell right now in this market.  Any smart developer should be using “flex space” on the street level,  that can be changed from residential to commercial as the market evolves. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Planned renovation to 3410 W Leigh St (next to Starr Hill)

HOLY MOLY!!!  Where did you find this? Is there a news story attached to it? My father managed the printing company that was located in these connected buildings - 3410-12 W. Leigh. The large window in this artist's rendition (right side of the picture near the cyclist) is where my father's actual office was -- the existing window was/is smaller and a little closer to the doorway. The architect is putting in a solid doorway - it used to be all glass. 

WOW... This is EXACTLY where my father's office used to be. I used to look out both the window and the doorway at the (now long-gone) asphalt plant when I was a kid during the summers I'd go there to hang out. (My family's pre-cursor to "bring your munchkin to work day" -- only mine lasted for three months every year!) This brings back SOOOOOOOOO many cool memories! My mom would work there during the summer months -- and I LOVED hanging out there because I could spend more time with my dad. Plus, when I got old enough, I'd walk around to Curles Neck Dairy to get lunch at the Dairy Bar -- their milkshakes were EPIC!!

My dad worked at the printing company there from 1946 until the late 1980s, when he finally retired. He managed the company for about 20 years. I don't think this address was the original location of the company when my dad joined after he came home from World War II. My guess is that the company bought these buildings some time in the 1950s.

O... M... Goodness... If only you knew how much of my childhood (the stretch from the late 1960s through the mid 1970s) was spent in these buildings!  LOL!! This is amazing!! I had the time of my life in those days. I'm in my late 50s and I occasionally dream about those days hanging out (and helping out -- I used to fold boxes and box tops!) way back when. My first wife worked for my dad here in the 1980s.

Leigh-Office.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This article was not shared before, but one our our own posted about this on a another thread on 26 June.  I love it when we find out about developments before the press!

This development will be interesting.  I can only think that college kids or single people would ever want to live in a place configured like this one.  Is it affordable?  I’d hope so considering the living configuration, but we shall see. 

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, rjp212 said:

And right on cue, the general public is complaining about

“lack of parking”  

“Scott’s Addition has horrible traffic”

”there goes the neighborhood”

”destroying any character left of Scott’s Addition”

It is tearing down a long vacant blue cinder block building with a massive parking lot.  Nothing about it is cultural or architecturally significant. Traffic is bad in the neighborhood for 30 minutes a day and usually because of some out of towner who doesn’t understand one way streets.  Parking does not make a city, in fact it detracts from it.  It is a niche product that hopefully will be an affordable option for people who typically couldn’t live in the area.  Which in turn makes a neighborhood feel more lively by having a mix of people.  Since they don’t have to pay for a parking premium, those residents will choose to walk or use the abundant public transit options in the neighborhood.   I’m not a huge fan of the generic architecture but it’s a small filler project that will add more to the neighborhood than the architecture detracts.  

LOL what?! My God, some Richmonders are so regressive. If they think Scott's Addition has horrible traffic, they can't possibly have been to a larger city. And I'm all for destroying the character of run-down manufacturing buildings, warehouses, and empty parking lots, to provide something that people can actually use and isn't just an egregious eyesore.  Some people just don't like any kind of change or progress.

Edited by Richmonder23
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Great update on some Scott's Addition developments. I think this will be in tomorrow's Metro Business section of the RTD for anyone looking to pick up a paper copy.

https://richmond.com/business/apartment-construction-boom-taking-place-in-scotts-addition-with-hundreds-of-new-apartments-planned/article_50608f43-30c0-5b6d-88d7-6903a258f2b6.html

• Like 4