Scott's Addition Development

varunner

5 hours ago, whw53 said:

16 acres along Leigh St. at Blvd are for sale including the MovieLand site. This entire site is zoned TOD-1 which means whatever gets built here would need to conform to good urban design. It looks like the offer could be for all 16 acres or just the vacant outer parcel of 5 something acres. Either way, these are some of the biggest parcels of land for sale in Scott's right now - hopefully we get someone in here provides a great mixed use development. I wouldn't mind seeing more row homes in this area, maybe on the parcel farthest from Blvd - and then, in the MovieLand parking lot, something more dense.

https://www.cbredealflow.com/handler/modern.aspx?pv=tfXTxDllHNcjvXX6sxUAb-8-9EUVPrBO1JyD_C8XsqY#_top

Oh my!! This CERTAINLY appears to have a LOT of potential!

So wait what happens to movieland? Are we expecting them to shut down for good? I hope not. I love that place. But I do go to cinebistro a lot too. I hope cinebistro doesn’t leave Richmond I love that place. If anything cinebistro should relocate to another part of town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, whw53 said:

Link  to construction cam for Scott's Collection 1 project - will include in description on development map

https://www.capitalsquare1031.com/construction-camera/

Great find!  Here's the fullscreen link to the camera: https://public.earthcam.net/ScottsCollectionIEarthCam/scotts_collection_i_project/camera/view_1

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, blake_p said:

Oh wow!  Anytime we can find a construction cam is GOLD to me!  Awesome!  Thanks for finding and for posting!

I look forward to watching this go up!

7 hours ago, eandslee said:

Oh wow!  Anytime we can find a construction cam is GOLD to me!  Awesome!  Thanks for finding and for posting!

I look forward to watching this go up!

This really is amazing, seeing Richmond changing like this right before our eyes. Trust me when I say what we are seeing truly is unprecedented in my lifetime regarding RIchmond.

I'm still mind-blown that city planners are even viewing it as a realistic possiblity that Richmond's population could hit 340,000 in the next 16-plus years. If jobs keep being created - if companies continue to relocate to Richmond - if the typical migration follows those jobs - and if the developers keep pouring in to try to at least keep pace with the inmigration, I'm starting to think it's actually reachable.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

More on the Bow Tie site - Bow Tie recognizes they are sitting on increasingly valuable land, probably wanting to see how the market will respond to it. I didn't know at the time they purchased and renovated the building into the theater in 2011 that they had envisioned a built out site. In fact I wasn't sure I knew that Bow Tie itself was the land owner. Angle seems to be we want to keep cinema buildings in any agreement but show us what you want to do with remaining land or piece of land.

https://richmond.com/business/bow-tie-cinemas-has-put-its-movieland-at-boulevard-square-property-up-for-sale-owner/article_1cabe142-88bb-5f89-a7eb-c7a4bf7a763b.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 2:35 PM, whw53 said:

@Shakman - you got your answer on the hotel. Should break ground within the next few weeks. Update on the 2 West Broad projects west of expressway from RTD came out today.

https://richmond.com/business/hundreds-of-apartments-take-root-on-west-broad-street-near-umfs-campus/article_f817804b-2f7d-5c24-b06c-92ac18680e10.html

Elevator shafts are now up for the hotel.  

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, eandslee said:

Awesome find!  You are faster than Richmond Biz Sense!!!  Thanks for posting!!

slow day at the office,..boss watching the stock market, coworkers checking their fantasy leagues and I'm nerd deep in the Richmond permit portal site...

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Shakman said:

Hoping for structures that are aesthetically attractive.

I'm excited to get more info - only 203 apartments but 2 six story buildings on that size piece of land  means that these buildings should be more vertical oriented than 'snaky', which although only 6 stories could create some nice urban differentiation. I thought at one point - maybe Pulse plan?- that the goal was to connect Norfolk street over the tracks to Hamilton Street. If so, then it could be the site plan having two buildings is leaving room for that to still occur ....a building on each side of that future extension? That would explain the 2 buildings - otherwise I'm not sure exactly why the developer wouldn't just do a single large building like Relay project will be...a single building at 6 stories could easily hold 203 or probably more units even - wouldn't have to be much  larger than a project like the Summit really. 

Edit - ok this is from the Richmond 300 plan (which adopted some illustrations, ideas from Pulse plan so may have seen it there as well). Although the plan is not binding it looks like goal 9 under Scott's Addition is to lay a bridge from Norfolk to Hamilton. The land is not public so they would have to negotiate with the developer on this if they wanted to tackle it now. But the Richmond 300 isn't technically the city's comp plan yet - it goes before council in December. Even still, I don't know exactly what levers the city has lets say if the site plan didn't leave room for this and the proposal was acceptable under current zoning (B-7).  I don't think the city can force the developer on private land to concede that but could make it difficult. The PDR staff would really have to care about that particular plan element though - if there is not a concrete plan for that road and it is just a planning idea and nice picture then i doubt they would hold it up, maybe make some suggestions to leave a parking lot there instead of having a building cover that stretch. Or it is entirely possible the developer and its consultants were aware of this and built it into the proposal (going back to the POD application).

norfolk300.jpg

Edited by whw53
add info
  • Like 4

Interesting story in the Richmond BizSense this morning: Frontier Project vacating 3005 W. Marshall Street - the building is being put up for least - wonder if a developer could come in and wave enough scarola around to entice the current owner to sell. Looks like a fantastically developable portion of a block - could support a decent-sized residential building!

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/11/06/frontier-project-vacates-scotts-addition-office-for-small-space-at-common-house/

• Like 1

On 11/5/2020 at 1:53 PM, whw53 said:

!!NEW PROJECT ALERT!!  A plan of development has been submitted for 2 six story buildings long Belleville St. which will contain 203 apartment units.

Developer is Bonaventure - here is a link to their portfolio - looks like they are typically suburban but know how to build urban if they need to (look at the Hampton project listed).  They get +1 for doing construction webcams. 

http://www.bonaventureconstruction.com/our-projects/#Completed

belleVilleAerial.jpg

BelleVilleInfo.jpg

And it’s ugly...

0542C0E7-C831-428E-AB81-A4F3D83CE6C7.png

• Sad 1