Scott's Addition Development

varunner

Still so many questions as to the site plan that the article did not give any information on. If BizSense was able obtain the full POD docs and submittals then how come all we get is a lousy rendering of a side of 1 building. I'm sure the developer also had to provide a site plan and other mock ups etc. If BizSense can access these city docs, why can't we? I may reach out to the Planning Department to see what I can obtain.  I agree - architecture is blah, reminds me of that building over near Hardywood that Spy Rock is going to put in. Sometimes these turn out ok, at least it is smaller. 

Good news is that there will be commercial space which was not in the permit description, so that is a plus.

Also a plus is the mention that the Relay project developer has received demolition permits for that site...should hopefully see that land turning by end of year.

Edited by whw53
  • Like 2

I don’t know how I feel about commercial space in 2020.   Even before the pandemic it seemed largely obsolete.  

I like what it does at the street level but there just isn’t the retail demand or office space/services demand to fill the existing spaces, much less new ones. 

I prefer the new model of putting the leasing office and gym at the front of the building at street level.   It gives the illusion of commercial space without relying on nonexistent market demand to fill it. 

Now if this was a 16 story building I’d be more into it.  I love  all of this infill but even if every empty lot in SA gets filled with a 6 story apartment  building  it still won’t result in enough people to support a thriving retail district. 

• Like 3

I think keeping some space open as 'flex' is great - not every building is going to get a restaurant/cafe/store but look at all the small tech start ups trickling in to Scott's. Often they only need a few rooms. The Scout project was able to lease out their 'commercial' space to 2 different tech groups that needed office space. I think these flex  spaces are attractive to a workforce that may live and drink in Scott's Addition anyway. 

• Like 1

Brent - all excellent points. Particularly that last one. While certainly SA will enjoy some nice population density given the current trend of residential projects that keep rolling in, I agree - without some BIGGER buildings (up to that 12-story zoned limit - OR - perhaps taller with SUPs) the neighborhood won't reach an optimum density to support thriving retail, pandemic or no pandemic. That is one advantage Manchester has had in its resurrection - already several larger buildings between 10 and 14 stories - twin 11-story buildings set to hopefully break ground soon - a 12-story building (PortRVA2) still on the planning books ... so height is definitely adding quite a bit of density there. Hopefully the 12-story building planned in SA will get underway soon. I do wonder if all it might take is one bigger building to rise to "break the ceiling" so-to-speak for other projects.

• Like 2

Another question re: the Richmond BizSense story: the pentultimate paragraph reads as follows:

Another out-of-town developer is making an even bigger bet than Bonaventure on Scott’s Addition. South Carolina-based Greystar filed plans last fall for 350 apartments at the former Relay Foods warehouse at 1601 Roseneath Road. Work has not yet begun on that project, though last month demolition permits were filed for the site.

Has anything happened with this particular project other than demolition plans filed? No as-of-yet-unpublished site design plan, renderings or descriptions are floating around?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Another question re: the Richmond BizSense story: the pentultimate paragraph reads as follows:

Another out-of-town developer is making an even bigger bet than Bonaventure on Scott’s Addition. South Carolina-based Greystar filed plans last fall for 350 apartments at the former Relay Foods warehouse at 1601 Roseneath Road. Work has not yet begun on that project, though last month demolition permits were filed for the site.

Has anything happened with this particular project other than demolition plans filed? No as-of-yet-unpublished site design plan, renderings or descriptions are floating around?

This is out there as of 2 months ago:

https://www.divaris.com/properties/?propertyId=Scotts-Addition

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Icetera said:

Thank you, kind sir!  I think it's up on here in this thread a few pages back as well. Somehow I didn't make the connection between this particular project and the street location. So many projects, it's hard to keep up with which is which - certain a good "problem" to have!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Happy Friday!! Lofts @ Broad (is that still the name?) developer has officially submitted plans / applied for permit for the 12 story tower behind the old Holiday Inn...

Awesome!  Did they have any renderings attached to that submission?  I wonder if they modified their rendering a bit...was just curious.  Thanks for posting!

• Like 1

Just now, eandslee said:

Awesome!  Did they have any renderings attached to that submission?  I wonder if they modified their rendering a bit...was just curious.  Thanks for posting!

I can never seem to access any documents related to these submissions -  not sure what is supposed to be public or not. Somehow BizSense gets these renderings so there must be  a way - unless they are getting them straight from the developer...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

Another large assemblage of land has been put on the market.  Along with the Movieland lot, a developer could really do something ground breaking here. 

image.jpeg.a4c665f4304341cff942628b37b56a4b.jpeg

It would be nice to see the Cort Furniture façade reutilized as a lobby.  I am wonder what Buzz & Neds' plans are?

• 3 weeks later...