Scott's Addition Development

varunner

• 2 weeks later...

Best for last  ..at least in my opinion..., we finally have some permit action for the Soda Flats project - a RSMP commercial stormwater management plan and an LDIS land disturbance plan were submitted to the city this week for that site.

Now if we can get some news on the Outlier project around the corner - it would be great to have both these projects along with the 3 Scott's Collection pieces under development at the same time or quick succession. While none of these 5 projects is big in and of themselves, they are within a 2 or 3 blocks from each other and significantly denser than anything in that part of eastern Scott's. Those numbers add up and each project being unique in design should make it interesting.   Additionally, while I like the Scott's Collection pieces the Soda Flats and the Outlier are more significant in my opinion because they will provide some urban definition along Broad and the Blvd respectively. 

LDISsodaflats.jpg

RSMPsodaflats.jpg

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

One thing I have to give Richmond compared to many sunbelt cities, is although the new architecture is similar (varying boxes) the size of the projects are more modest.    I think the modest sized apartment complexes give a more organic urban environment than the giant blockbusters you'll see in more autocentric sunbelt cities.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, whw53 said:

Heading down Broad that way today, I'll take a detour.

Thank you, sir! :)

20 hours ago, rjp212 said:

One thing I have to give Richmond compared to many sunbelt cities, is although the new architecture is similar (varying boxes) the size of the projects are more modest.    I think the modest sized apartment complexes give a more organic urban environment than the giant blockbusters you'll see in more autocentric sunbelt cities.

That's a good point. Makes it more cohesive - rather than a cluster of larger buildings surrounded by basically nothing but highways and parking lots.

Here's hoping, however, that the buildings WILL begin to get bigger, taller, more robust as the area begins to really densify. I really like how over in Manchester there are now quite a few larger/taller buildings on the drawing boards. That mix of highrises and large apartment boxes will have it's own cohesion. Hopefully the 12-story building in Scott's Addition will get underway soon - and set the stage for more of the taller buildings to start rising there.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, whw53 said:

Week of 2\7 - Permit & Plan applications of note

1. Scott's Collection 3 - Demolition permit issued for residential structure on site.

2. Loft@Broad  - Building plan submitted for foundation  of 12 story tower.

3001WLeigh.jpg

1211MacTavish.jpg

Fantastic!! So glad to see movement now on the 12-story building. 

Clarification on the long term intent at 2902 Blvd (the current Wesco site) owned by Thalhimer. The ordinance intended to facilitate the rezoning to TOD-1 was introduced at City Council on Monday and has been referred to the city Planning Commission. Application materials shed some light on the proposal here - well, at least share that redevelopment is in play. 

Click on 'Applicant's Report' at this link-

https://richmondva.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=4793513&GUID=C5B7A25E-3966-40F5-8E09-B740343798A6&Options=&Search=

Snip here-

2902BLVD.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thinking a little more about this co-housing development -- if it's six stories, it's probably between 70'-80'.  If my memory is correct, that would be much taller than anything else on that stretch of AAB (does anything even hit 30'?).  This would set a nice precedent for future development and, hopefully, is a harbinger for a much more urban corridor.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Wahoo 07 said:

Northside apartments, Arthur Ashe Boulevard rezoning move forward - Richmond BizSense

More rezoning on AAB.  Article is short on specifics, but the owner is envisioning a multi-story development.  Hopefully, this group will be the first to crack sixty feet north of the railroad tracks.

This would be a great start to ratcheting up the intensity of development and the density and massing in that area of Scott's Addition north of the Acca Bridge (is it still called that today? That's what it was known as way back when).  The renderings in the Richmond 300 plan of what that part of town could look like over the next 10-20 years or so is fantastic. I pray I live long enough to see this come to pass.  This particular rendering looks very much like North Shore communities along the lakefront on the North Side of Chicago. To see it happen in Richmond would be fantastic!!!

ScottsAddition.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Sorry my photo is for the project at Roseneath and Moore, across from Stella’s. Drawing a blank on the name. 

Is it this one,  the one from the webcam at the bottom of the link?  There are 3 projects in the webcam link. I'm not 100% sure if this is the one from your photo to be honest.

https://richmond.com/business/plans-underway-for-one-of-the-biggest-apartment-buildings-in/article_fdf695d1-e20a-5f8c-842a-7f045c50c51c.html

5e530e810b999.image.jpg

Edited by Hike
  • Like 1