Scott's Addition Development

varunner

10 hours ago, Hike said:

Is it this one,  the one from the webcam at the bottom of the link?  There are 3 projects in the webcam link. I'm not 100% sure if this is the one from your photo to be honest.

https://richmond.com/business/plans-underway-for-one-of-the-biggest-apartment-buildings-in/article_fdf695d1-e20a-5f8c-842a-7f045c50c51c.html

5e530e810b999.image.jpg

Yes sorry! This is the one. The Greystar project. 

Edited by wrldcoupe4
  • Like 3

They don't have a webcam up for it but fencing is up and they have demolished the small house that was situated on the lot that is to be the site of Scott's Collection 3.  All 4 Capital Square pieces are turning dirt!

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, whw53 said:

They don't have a webcam up for it but fencing is up and they have demolished the small house that was situated on the lot that is to be the site of Scott's Collection 3.  All 4 Capital Square pieces are turning dirt!

So  -- do I understand correctly that all four Capital Square projects are/will be rising at the same time?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

So  -- do I understand correctly that all four Capital Square projects are/will be rising at the same time?

Looks like it - note Scott's 1 is already at 2 or 3 stories and i think will top out at 5 o that shouldn't be more than a month or so out. I dont think any of the Scott's pieces have below grade parking, but it could be the Relay site does, in that case it could be longer to see that rise - maybe not though - the tower crane is already up or almost up according to recent discussion?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

Copied from a friend’s FB post.  Still find the design strange, but at least it’s something. 

image.thumb.png.bc573a26258af713aa188e5304b2d894.png

I think it's pretty neat - there's nothing else really like it - keeps with the adaptive reuse vibe of the neighborhood.  Will be interesting to see what kind of retail tenants will take up right on broad  - I don't think Summit has landed anything yet 

Edited by whw53

12 hours ago, rjp212 said:

image.thumb.png.bc573a26258af713aa188e5304b2d894.png

Short flat roof in blue / green glass,  seems like an Insbrook structure from 1985, just finding it hard to like,  hopefully something changes, perhaps another angle image,  some other detail to make it work. Right now, just don't like it much I hate to say.  The rehabbed hotel is set too far back and the scale between the 2 buildings is too big a contrast, just strange.

Edited by Hike

It’s a monstrosity Frankenstein in person. I hate it. Looks like footings are going in for the 12 story building though. 

edit - that’s harsh. I know some may find it less offensive. It just strikes me in a bad way in person. 

Edited by wrldcoupe4
  • Like 4

I can't say that I love what's been done thus far.  The original building still looks the same - bland.  the only difference I see are the windowed rooms along the street and maybe a few more windows on the short side (left).  Will anything else be done to the building itself to look a bit more different?  

14 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

It’s a monstrosity Frankenstein in person. I hate it. Looks like footings are going in for the 12 story building though. 

edit - that’s harsh. I know some may find it less offensive. It just strikes me in a bad way in person. 

Understand your concern over being too harsh, feel the same way. Thinking about what was there, this is, at least, not abandoned.

I remember a year or so ago when we were looking at drawings of this building.  There were green cubes everywhere and I was convinced they were just indicating the shape, that it had nothing to do with the final look.  Nope.  

I like the glass cube parts but the colour scheme (especially the window trim colour ) is dreadful.  It looks like a hotel on Atlantic Avenue. Yuck. 

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

I remember a year or so ago when we were looking at drawings of this building.  There were green cubes everywhere and I was convinced they were just indicating the shape, that it had nothing to do with the final look.  Nope.  

Too funny, thought the same thing, no way they're building that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Looks like footings are going in for the 12 story building though. 

We can at least take some consolation in the fact that the 12-story building is in the process of rising. With The Opus underway farther east on Broad, it's nice that two 12-story residential buildings should be going up at roughly the same time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Brent114 said:

It looks like work could be starting soon on that cohabitation apartment building beside Starbucks on Arthur Ashe Blvd.

Theres a fence up and a bulldozer on site.  

Ah @Brent114 you just made my day! Now I just want to hear that the same is happening at the Soda Flats site soon. 

Edited by whw53
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, whw53 said:

Ah @Brent114 you just made my day! Now I just want to hear that the same is happening at the Soda Flats site soon. 

AMEN to that!! That would be fantastic to get THAT project underway asap!

Say - if anyone is driving through Scott's over the next few days, would it be possible to see a few pix of the construction site of the 12-story apartment building?

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, blake_p said:

Tower crane going up in Scott's Addition.  Form the Scott's Collection II Cam:

UrbanCore_Construction-Scotts_Collection_II-Camera-March_17_2021_3_37_23_PM.jpg

Great reporting!  You can also see what’s going on at the base at this link (scroll down):

https://www.capitalsquare1031.com/construction-camera/

Lots of new tower cranes should be going up across town between now and the next few months - should be an awesome sight to see!

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Can we ascertain whether or not this tower crane is on the site of the 12-story apartment building behind the Summit?

This angle is Northwest so it must be the Greystar project at Moore and Roseneath unless I missing something else along  Leigh/Moore St.

Confirmed:
image.png.a69c5b6d864452255f3e68d868f14705.png