Scott's Addition Development

varunner

http://richmondbizsense.com/2017/06/08/new-office-building-proposed-for-former-interbake-warehouse-site/

While this is more Scott's Addition adjacent, new offices are proposed for part of the Interbake site.  I hope that this is not the final rendering as it looks more like a suburban office park structure.  It needs a few more floors.

I like it overall, a couple more floors would be nice (I think 5 would be perfect there), but it's a lot better than whats currently there. They did say "If tenant interest outpaces the building’s proposed footprint, Leibovic said, the developers may pack on more square feet", so perhaps it will gain a floor or two.

• Like 2

That section--between Scott's Addition and Carver--makes up a crucial part of the BRT walk shed.  Having an office there will be a great addition.

Now if we can only get that Whole Foods to open and the Sauer Company to (re)develop the old Sears and Tax buildings on Broad.

• Like 1

I really want my company to move into this place. We are currently at 3311 W. Broad street but have to move out after being bought by bigger company (current owner of our building is an employee and corporate wasn't a big fan of that). Really I just don't want to move out to the suburbs.

1 hour ago, RiverYuppy said:

That section--between Scott's Addition and Carver--makes up a crucial part of the BRT walk shed.  Having an office there will be a great addition.

Now if we can only get that Whole Foods to open and the Sauer Company to (re)develop the old Sears and Tax buildings on Broad.

Agreed.  I took a look at the area on Google maps and there are a lot of parcels that are not at their highest and best uses. 

36 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

If everything goes well, construction to begin in the 2nd Quarter of 2018.  Construction to to take 18 months. Site is only a block from The Pulse - hope many more developments along the route start popping up!  This is a very good sign!

2 hours ago, jbjust said:

What is their history with this kind of project?  Any risk this turns into Mosby West?

Well it says this is the largest project they've tried; so no real track record on anything this big. It's supposed to be mixed income and seeing that it's in Scotts Addition, one of the hottest neighborhoods in the city attracting tons of millennial's, businesses, and more I doubt it will turn into a Mosby west. A lot of what makes Mosby, well Mosby is that its concentrated poverty and surrounded by more concentrated poverty. This on the other hand will be mixed income, surrounded by a thriving neighborhood.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jbjust said:

What is their history with this kind of project?  Any risk this turns into Mosby West?

I wouldn't always associate mixed income with public housing. There should be a decent amount of market rate apartments in these which, as mentioned above, will increase the economic diversity in the building. This is one of the most important aspects in preventing things like Mosby. I think this will be a fantastic project, and show how much mixed income can help our cities.

This article from September provides a bit more details.

If those details are still accurate, some things to note.

• There will be 30,000 square feet of commercial space
  • The parking deck might be demolished and replaced with more housing units (more density)
  • There are between 175 and 225 apartments expected in the development
  • Some apartments will be market rate.  Others will be income limited, for example two person households with an income of $28,000 to $58,000.

12 hours ago, CitiWalker said:

That was a dumb statement....not all low income people are the same...It irritates me when people look down on others because of income...

That is exactly why I asked what their history was of running this sort of project.  Low-income housing can be done well to the benefit of the entire city and neighborhood or they can be done very poorly which harms not only the neighborhood but the low-income people looking for a solid housing option.  If you think there is no potential for a low-income development creating problems for a neighborhood, you have your head in the sand.  

51 minutes ago, jbjust said:

That is exactly why I asked what their history was of running this sort of project.  Low-income housing can be done well to the benefit of the entire city and neighborhood or they can be done very poorly which harms not only the neighborhood but the low-income people looking for a solid housing option.  If you think there is no potential for a low-income development creating problems for a neighborhood, you have your head in the sand.  

It's a valid concern, it's one of the concerns I have with the Citadel of Hope project. While it is supposed to be mixed income, which is great, I'm concerned with the ratio of low income to market rate apartments and it's so close to what is already a highly concentrated area of poverty that I'm afraid the low income tenants will be heavily influenced by that.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2017 at 10:11 AM, jbjust said:

What you are saying is called an assumption. All I am saying is I am educated, earn a great salary, pay my taxes,and support my city in many endeavors. Yes I grew up in one of the city's housing projects. Just because you are low on money does not mean you are destructive. No need to stereotype low income people is my point.

5 hours ago, CitiWalker said:

What you are saying is called an assumption. All I am saying is I am educated, earn a great salary, pay my taxes,and support my city in many endeavors. Yes I grew up in one of the city's housing projects. Just because you are low on money does not mean you are destructive. No need to stereotype low income people is my point.

It's not a stereotype, it is a risk factor.  If you think that introducing a poorly-managed high-density low income development in the middle of Scott's Addition isn't a risk factor, then you're being disingenuous.  That is why I asked about the property manager's history.  

• Like 1

I haven't heard much in the way of bad things about Better Housing Coalition. Pretty strong board of directors and management board here:

https://www.betterhousingcoalition.org/who-we-are/board-of-directors/

https://www.betterhousingcoalition.org/who-we-are/bhc-management-board/

There is a place for organizations like this to ensure the city's public servants and working class have safe communities they can afford to live in. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I haven't heard much in the way of bad things about Better Housing Coalition. Pretty strong board of directors and management board here:

https://www.betterhousingcoalition.org/who-we-are/board-of-directors/

https://www.betterhousingcoalition.org/who-we-are/bhc-management-board/

There is a place for organizations like this to ensure the city's public servants and working class have safe communities they can afford to live in. 

Wow.  That is a pretty all-star lineup.  

• 3 months later...