Scott's Addition Development

varunner

What a great location to develop something hopefully big. I was looking on the development map to tie in the location relative to other projects - it's catty-corner across Sheppard & Broad from the Soda Flats and one block east of (and across Broad from) The Summit. Wow - think of what the extra density will mean there.

Edited by I miss RVA

16 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

That old Gusti building had a really cool skin underneath. I was hoping they could keep it. The variety of the urban fabric is important. 

Coupe - this is a fairly recent picture - I don't recall seeing this building with a different skin (maybe it had one and I just didn't notice!) ...

Gusti.jpg

On 11/11/2021 at 10:37 AM, whw53 said:

Did anyone notice something in the 2019 RBS article: Those lots on Grace Street - 2906, 2908, 2912, and 2918 -- were part of the sale when these folks bought the site from Manuel Loupasi. Interesting that only the Broad Street lots are currently being developed. I'm curious if the developer is looking at putting a second development on the combined Grace Street lots?

2900Broad.thumb.jpg.d756b22cccd086210d4ea572393a1b84.jpg

Gusti-2.png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Yep the original facade is still intact behind that. 

Interesting. Any idea how long ago the new skin was put on? My dad worked for 40 years in Scott's Addition - and back in the very late '80s to early/mid '90s I worked just a couple of blocks up Cutshaw when WTVR AM/FM had studios there. And for the life of me, I can't place the original facade in my mind.

12 minutes ago, DowntownCoruscant said:

As an aside, the seller of these properties, Manuel Loupassi, passed away recently. I knew him and his family well. A good man.

I'm so sorry to hear of his passing. I met him several times back in the '90s. Agreed, a very good man. It's Richmond's loss, to be sure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

His story was all American. Immigrated, worked hard, built everything he had from scratch. 

I remember the first time I met him and shook his hand - it was at the Robin Inn (but of course!!!) in the early '90s. He was so very kind to my (at the time) wife and me. She and I ate there quite a bit  during the '90s and we always felt special when he recognized us and would come and chat with us. I'm very much saddened to hear of his passing.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Oh no problem! 

Man -- this is going to be a sweet looking building right at that spot on Arthur Ashe Boulevard. I can't wait to see how it looks, what with the other construction there.

I will say that it's sad that these are all becoming carbon copies of each other - the design is quite boring but it works because of the zoning and requirements, still boring though. Just my opinion and taste.

I do absolutely LOVE that it is going to be a "Co-Housing" building which is really unique and fun to bring to RVA, especially in that prime location. Really cool approach that's different from other buildings going up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ancientcarpenter said:
I will say that it's sad that these are all becoming carbon copies of each other - the design is quite boring but it works because of the zoning and requirements, still boring though. Just my opinion and taste.
I do absolutely LOVE that it is going to be a "Co-Housing" building which is really unique and fun to bring to RVA, especially in that prime location. Really cool approach that's different from other buildings going up. 

At least it's relatively small- I'll give some leeway design wise to projects whose site plan isn't obnoxiously expansive. It leaves room for projects or renovations to each side- the variance therein will create the differentiation I think we seek. To say it it differently -  I'm ok with normal sized buildings looking more normal. If you're going to bust a block though you gotta take the architecture up a notch. I think Otis did that and i'm hoping the project that comes out of the Leibovich Assemblage will do the same.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1

Came into some info at the bar tnight- the 'Carlton st condo project' is to be called Mason Yards. Builder will be Stylecraft Homes. (Relationship with Spy Rock is also giving us 'The Overlook at Brewers Row' cross from Hardywood )

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 3

That lines up -  LD plan filed 11\12 notes that same name. Project is moving.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/0190dcfe-589e-49a5-b315-7b8896965bc8

Also, note the update to the permit system this month - you can track the status, outstanding items more easily. 

• Thanks 1

WOW!! This is like the Mother Lode of new Scott's Addition projects! So tying the renderings to the article - five floors of occupiable space atop two levels with of parking (which counting the windows adds up - the buildings look to be about 7 stories tall) ... holy moly!

THIS is certainly a game-changer in Scott's! 

• Like 2