Scott's Addition Development

varunner

23 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

Frankly I was never a fan of it anyway.  As planned it was a very large park, and we have other parks in the area already. I don't see people using a park like that, there is a public park area there already at the Commanders practice facility and no one ever uses it at all.  Make the park smaller and give me more density.  

I tend to agree. Honestly the area could do with more, smaller pockets of green space. Scott's Addition is all concrete and asphalt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 123fakestreet said:

Frankly I was never a fan of it anyway.  As planned it was a very large park, and we have other parks in the area already. I don't see people using a park like that, there is a public park area there already at the Commanders practice facility and no one ever uses it at all.  Make the park smaller and give me more density.  

Parks work when you surround them with active uses and density. The park you mention is isolated and not well connected, so nobody is going out of their way to get to it.  The Richmond 300 plan had a Central Park that tied into the planned greenway, museums, signature pedestrian bridge, and ballpark.  A 5 story mega block structure with surface parking does nothing to enhance the neighborhood outside of add people. 

Seeing as they also own neighboring parcel, they had a real opportunity to make a urban node. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 123fakestreet said:

Yep, been saying for a while SA needs a park. Put one in DD as well, keep it reasonable sized and central. But kill the huge crescent.

Absolutely. Urban neighborhoods without parks are exhausting and feel like a money pit - no where to go without having to spend money. Couple that with no/small balconies and no porches then you get a $1500/month isolation chamber with netflix.

Parks and libraries are one of the few places left where one can go without expecting to spend money. You can just be. One can only spend so much time at breweries and brunch restaurants until it gets repetitive and exhausting...but I guess that's why it's 99% rental market in SA and not ownership.

Edited by ancientcarpenter
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

So there’s a fence up around the Soda Flats site (along both Broad and the side street).  Could this be starting?  Perhaps just demolition? 

About damn time!  This one has been near the top of my list.  Bring out Snoopy or wait for the port-o-potties? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

So there’s a fence up around the Soda Flats site (along both Broad and the side street).  Could this be starting?  Perhaps just demolition? 

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Brent114 said:

I think we need to start following fence companies' schedules, not development reports or RBS.

That's where the real action is!

It's like during war: Don't follow where the enemy is headed...follow where their logistics are headed. That will tell you more about their strategy than anything else. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I flipped that one and Mason Yards to orange on the dev map and added in the Level 2 development from yesterday. Any action at the Bonaventure site? I know the Freeland site is already turning dirt but wasn't sure about that one.

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, whw53 said:

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb

Hell, I'm Jewish - and I'll happily say a heartfelt  "AMEN!!!" in response!   :tw_thumbsup::tw_wink:

Let's get this project rolling, brother!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Would be a huge disappointment if this parking strip was around in 2030. C'mon guys - they are offering to maintain and improve the parking experience even. To the Hem folk - Development here only pushes the value of your holdings up, no? Look around - you invested in Scott's for a reason, don't try and hold it back now. To the Dalian folk - does any project on this site really need to chew up the whole block or can a development be phased in? 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/04/25/neighboring-scotts-addition-property-owners-in-legal-fight-over-parking-spots/

Edited by whw53
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, whw53 said:

Would be a huge disappointment if this parking strip was around in 2030. C'mon guys - they are offering to maintain and improve the parking experience even. To the Hem folk - Development here only pushes the value of your holdings up, no? Look around - you invested in Scott's for a reason, don't try and hold it back now. To the Dalian folk - does any project on this site really need to chew up the whole block or can a development be phased in? 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/04/25/neighboring-scotts-addition-property-owners-in-legal-fight-over-parking-spots/

Agreed, @whw53 ... I'm concerned, particularly as we see extremely elevated construction costs, particularly materials, starting to put speedbumps up in the way of the runaway freight train of progress that RVA has been enjoying over the last 2 or 3 (or more) years, this kind of thing is something we don't need. No reason at all to derail this train. I hope this can get resolved and/or that the Dalian group can do a workaround and phase in development if necessary. Ironically, as RBS reported, this is one redevelopment project for which there has been no official announcement of hard-and-fast plans, no renderings, no descriptions - so at this point we don't know the scope, size or scale of this project. Here's hoping it's a large project - and - that this kerfuffle over the parking lot can be resolved quickly and favorably to both parties so ground can be broken and buildings constructed.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, benstyree said:

Soda Flats site has been cleared!

49B9F350-1167-4E68-B982-B3D3B52CC087.jpeg

Thanks so much for taking this and posting, @benstyree  . Most definitely VERY good news!

Curious to know who has the jump so far this year - Scott's or Manchester? Do we know exactly how many projects are actually underway in both districts at this time? (By underway - I mean, either ground has been broken or minimally the site has been cleared and the excavators will be arriving shortly...) This would include projects like the Otis in S.A. and the Tidewater in Manchester - still being built/not completed/opened yet.

Edited by I miss RVA

11 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Thanks so much for taking this and posting, @benstyree  . Most definitely VERY good news!

Curious to know who has the jump so far this year - Scott's or Manchester? Do we know exactly how many projects are actually underway in both districts at this time? (By underway - I mean, either ground has been broken or minimally the site has been cleared and the excavators will be arriving shortly...) This would include projects like the Otis in S.A. and the Tidewater in Manchester - still being built/not completed/opened yet.

I've been trying to keep both districts up to data on the dev map. Scope out that orange. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Great pictures, thank you for posting. I drive by there a few times a week and this work must be relatively new or I'm blind... but then again, I haven't used my car in a while.

If anyone is interested, this is what renderings are for new site. I do wish it had porch balconies to make the space feel more open and social. Overall, I like it... amazing what some art on a wall can do to a building:

BROADVIEW.jpg

The size of the building will give it quite the commanding presence along that stretch of Broad Street. Can't wait to see what might rise across the street and down a block or so on the former Lupassi-owned property.

• Like 1