Scott's Addition Development

varunner

1 hour ago, Urbs42 said:

Raleigh is building both, and doing it better and faster than Richmond. And it's only going to pull further away. 

Raleigh isn’t becoming more urban very quickly though.   I was recently there.  It’s very underwhelming.  I hadn’t been in about ten years and have been reading about all of the development there over that time period.  I was expecting a transformation .  The suburbs looked way bigger.  Downtown looked pretty much the same as it did in 2005.  There were more buildings, of course, but it was still disconnected from the rest of the city.   I expected the Warehouse District to be twice the size that it is (I used to spend a lot of time down there until about 2007, at that time the Warehouse District seemed to be blowing up).  Can you even walk more than blocks in any direction?  

Downtown Richmond is pulling even farther away from Raleigh.   Development is happening in contiguous neighborhoods.  Some of those neighborhoods have only recently become residential.  So our walkable area has expanded and filled in from Rockets Landing to I195  (over six miles) and it isn’t along  just one street either.    

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

RVA should be more like Charleston, Savannah,

NO!!! NO!!! NO!!! AND A HUGE NO EFFING WAY!!!

PLEASE STOP with the damn Charleston/Savannah comparisons. RVA IS NOT LIKE THEM and these are horrifically poor examples of what RVA should strive for. JESUS!!

WHY for God's sake do SO many in this city of ours INSIST on limiting RVA to these time-capsules that are locked away under domes?  San Fran, Portland, I can agree with. Boston and Philly is more where we should be going.

RVA MUST offload this damn Charleston/Savannah fetish. It's disgusting.

1 hour ago, Urbs42 said:

Raleigh is building both, and doing it better and faster than Richmond. And it's only going to pull further away. 

That is not a knock on Richmond - I live here and love it, and couldn't pull for its continued success any harder.  Just calling a spade a spade. 

EXACTLY!!! BULLSEYE!! That's the crux of my argument.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, carolina1792 said:

Comparing Richmond, a city with 200+ years of being a city with booming growth in the 1700's, 1800's and early 1900's to Raleigh, a small college town until 20-ish years ago?  

Who cares about a plethora of history when the city boomed 100 or 200 years ago - when NOW, she's lagging FAR behind competitive cities on almost all measuable economic metrics that drive growth and development?

I guess if folks are satisfied with an entree of minnows or if folks are satisfied trying to beat out a dropped third strike, then falling back on the history and accomplishments of six, seven or eight generations ago is enough for them. MAZAL TOV and enjoy! Halavai, I want home runs, not attempted bunt singles. RVA can do a LOT better than that.

Yes - we're growing and thank God for that! I'm happy she's moving in the right direction. I just want her to pour some gasoline on the lit match and really take off. The Legos announcement is a great start and very gratifying.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

RVA should be more like Charleston, Savannah, SanFran, Portland category.

Yea i don't dwell too much on the comparison with Raleigh,  but this short list of cities is pocked with bad planning as well and should be held away even further.  Heavy handed growth boundaries, elitist zoning  and just poor administration in a number of other areas have made these latter 2 cities extremely hard to live affordably and to do business in.  The former 2 are too consumed with their historical scale.  Playgrounds for the rich? all 4 of these fit the bill. 

Edited by whw53
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

NO!!! NO!!! NO!!! AND A HUGE NO EFFING WAY!!!

PLEASE STOP with the damn Charleston/Savannah comparisons. RVA IS NOT LIKE THEM and these are horrifically poor examples of what RVA should strive for. JESUS!!

RVA MUST offload this damn Charleston/Savannah fetish. It's disgusting.

There’s a reason that people travel to Savannah and Charleston over Charlotte, Raleigh and even Atlanta from across the country and the globe.

I agree that we don’t have to  have lowerise buildings everywhere like they do in those cities, but there are elements from Savannah and Charleston that RVA should strive to have. While Charlotte and Raleigh are growing very fast, which I don’t have a problem with and I want them to grow too, we shouldn’t try to emulate their growth as most of the newer buildings in those cities either look like they belong in a Houston office park or west broad village.

I’d rather have Richmond’s neighborhoods and good urban planning with a slower growth rate than a few dozen flashy skyscrapers announced each year surrounded by suburban office parks and  1990s era suburbs with an astronomical growth rate.

Edited by blopp1234
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

Raleigh isn’t becoming more urban very quickly though.   I was recently there.  It’s very underwhelming.  I hadn’t been in about ten years and have been reading about all of the development there over that time period.  I was expecting a transformation .  The suburbs looked way bigger.  Downtown looked pretty much the same as it did in 2005.  There were more buildings, of course, but it was still disconnected from the rest of the city.   I expected the Warehouse District to be twice the size that it is (I used to spend a lot of time down there until about 2007, at that time the Warehouse District seemed to be blowing up).  Can you even walk more than blocks in any direction?  

Downtown Richmond is pulling even farther away from Raleigh.   Development is happening in contiguous neighborhoods.  Some of those neighborhoods have only recently become residential.  So our walkable area has expanded and filled in from Rockets Landing to I195  (over six miles) and it isn’t along  just one street either.    

I'm sorry, Brent, and I mean no disrespect to you personally, but WHO GIVES A #$%& whether or not Raleigh is becoming more urban or suburban? What does that matter? The crux of the matter is the bottom line of economic drivers. They (Raleigh) are pulling in big companies, they are landing robust numbers of jobs, they are not seeing projects get truncated or canned altogether because of higher construction costs. If you've been reading @upzoningisgood's informative explanations on bullishness (or lack thereof) in the market - you can see CLEARLY what I'm talking about - that Raleigh's economic factors are FAR ADVANCED AND WAY BEYOND ours right now. And as @Urbs42said - they're pulling away and will continue doing so.

It's not about style - hell, it's not even about Raleigh getting a 20-story apartment building. PLEASE stop conflating big population growth with the KIND of population growth and KIND of resultant urban development. RVA will never be a "suburban city" - and thank God. It's not a trade-off. I want the big population growth IN THE CITY!! Okay - fine - spread it across the region throughout the metro area. Whatever. But talk to me about style when RVA city gets to 450,000 in the city - and 2M-plus in the metro. THEN we can have a discussion about the style. But RVA lacks the economic substance - and that substance is borne out in RAW NUMBERS in terms of population. And as @upzoningisgoodand @wrldcoupe4have pointed out again and again and again - RVA DOES NOT HAVE THE MARKET SIZE TO SUSTAIN THE KINDS OF PROJECTS WE WANT TO SEE HERE UNLESS POTENTIALLY CONSTRAINING FACTORS ARE ALMOST NON-EXISTANT AND ECONOMIC CONDITIONS ARE, ESSENTIALLY, PERFECT!!! THAT is the bottom line. If economic waters are smooth (lower construction costs, low inflation, etc.) then RVA booms (as we saw particularly from 2019 through 2021). But put the slightest speedbump in place - spikes in construction costs, fuel, higher inflation, staffing issues post-pandemic - and suddenly projects start getting truncated, shut down altogether or delayed for extremely long periods.

Raleigh HAS gotten big enough to withstand higher construction costs. Nashville, Charlotte - all of these other cities - have grown their market sizes to the point that you're NOT going to see a butchering of projects like what happened with Block D or with 512 Hull Street.

WHY ARE FOLKS NOT GETTING THIS????

This is about MARKET SIZE and ECONOMIC DRIVERS that impact development. It's not about pretty architecture vs shiny tall buildings. It's not about a brand-new suburban city vs a legacy urban center. ITS ABOUT THE NUTS AND BOLTS OF WHAT DRIVES URBAN DEVELOPMENT!

JESUS! My blood pressure is through the roof - I need to step away from this right now.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

There’s a reason that people travel to Savannah and Charleston over Charlotte, Raleigh and even Atlanta from across the country and the globe.

I agree that we don’t have to  have lowerise buildings everywhere like they do in those cities, but there are elements from Savannah and Charleston that RVA should strive to have. While Charlotte and Raleigh are growing very fast, which I don’t have a problem with and I want them to grow too, we shouldn’t try to emulate their growth as most of the newer buildings in those cities either look like they belong in a Houston office park or west broad village.

I’d rather have Richmond’s neighborhoods and good urban planning with a slower growth rate than a few dozen flashy skyscrapers announced each year surrounded by suburban office parks and  1990s era suburbs with an astronomical growth rate.

We're never going to lose our neighborhoods. It's not a matter of the style of development. There is NOTHING about Charleston or Savannah that RVA should emulate. AT ALL. Putting us in the same conversation with them is disgusting to me and I wish to GOD this city would stop with the Charleston/Savannah worship. RVA is several classes ABOVE BOTH cities. Talk about Philly or Boston - then you've got something.

Okay - you want slow growth. You're okay with bunt singles. The "classic" RVA "thinking small" mindset.  Which is okay - to each his own. We're gonna have to agree to disagree. Because I'm not satisfied with bunt singles. I want grand slams.

I don't understand the mindset through. It's not about "emulating" Charlotte or Raleigh or Atlanta. I don't see what's so God-awful about kicking up the growth-rate. We can still have OUTSTANDING urban planning. If anything, RVA HAS the infrastructure in the legacy urban core to handle a significantly larger population base. RVA as a city of 450K would function JUST FINE - we won't lose the Fan or Church Hill or Ginter Park - just because Monroe Ward has a ton of high rise residential buildings or because Manchester or Scotts are wall-to-wall built up and uber developed - or because City Center is a REAL city center or because the Diamond District has become a model hot-urban-core growth district that other cities - Charlotte and Raleigh included - envy. I don't see RVA LOSING anything by growing bigger more quickly (even if it's not meteorically explosive) without clamping undue "governors" to restrict the growth.

I'm not asking for RVA to suddently turn into Tokyo, for God's sake. I just want her to move up more than a 16th of an inch at the time.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

but WHO GIVES A #$%& whether or not Raleigh is becoming more urban or suburban? What does that matter?

Those that have to live there.... Like me.

What are big skyscrapers and economic expansion good for when I don't enjoy living in my own city any longer?

Why doesn't the city just sell Byrd Park and build more condos, apartments, retail,etc.? Our economic driver will be off the charts!

B/c we lose a park. We lose an identity. We lose a tourist attraction. We lose character. We lose uniqueness.

Same for JRPS trails. Why not just build big mansions to overlook the river? B/c we lose more than we gain. 

Not exactly to our point but this is related:

AhDchW2.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Those that have to live there.... Like me.

What are big skyscrapers and economic expansion good for when I don't enjoy living in my own city any longer?

Why doesn't the city just sell Byrd Park and build more condos, apartments, retail,etc.? Our economic driver will be off the charts!

B/c we lose a park. We lose an identity. We lose a tourist attraction. We lose character. We lose uniqueness.

Same for JRPS trails. Why not just build big mansions to overlook the river? B/c we lose more than we gain. 

Not exactly to our point but this is related:

AhDchW2.jpg

But those arguments make NO sense, @ancientcarpenter-- total non-sequitors BECAUSE IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN, NO MATTER HOW BIG RVA REALISTICALLY BECOMES!!! (I can see some point to this if suddenly RVA boomed to a city population of 1.5 million in the next 10 years - but not kicking up the growth rate to a point bit faster than she's growing right now)...

WHY is this ALWAYS the fallback position? RVA as a city of 450,000 WON'T LOSE A DAMN THING! She won't lose Byrd Park... she won't lose JRPS, she won't lose character, uniqueness, attractions. PRESENT TO ME A REAL ARGUMENT, PLEASE - because THIS argument is utter folly -- AND YOU DAMN-WELL KNOW IT!

For the love of GOD - WHAT DOES IT TAKE?? Improving RVA's ecomonic drivers and significantly boosting her population IS NOT A ZERO-SUM GAME!

Again I ask - WHY IS THIS THE FALLBACK?? This is the EXACT same mindset of the fallacious NIMBYs on West Grace who are having strokes over the POSSIBLITY of a few 20-story buildings NORTH OF BROAD. 

WHY in RVA must EVERYTHING be an effing ZERO-SUM GAME when it comes to growth and development???? Can SOMEONE PLEASE explain this to me? Why is growth and development viewed as some kinda of horrible "trade-off" where RVA MUST "lose" something in order to gain population or to boost her economic drivers? I mean - SERIOUSLY? I mean no disrespect, @ancientcarpenterbut JESUS, I want some of what you're smoking because this argument that RVA is somehow going to be "diminished" or "lose" something by kicking up her growth is simply out of touch with the reality of RVA's situation. NONE OF THAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN IF RVA grows at a faster rate! NONE! ZERO!

Which means - we WON'T lose Byrd Park, or Monroe Park, or "the ruvvah" or ANYTHING that makes RVA unique, spectacular and wonderful. IF ANYTHING - a BIGGER RVA will serve to ENHANCE those gems!! NOT REPLACE THEM!

AGAIN - I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT CONVERTING RVA INTO TOKYO!!! Can we PLEASE be realistic here?? I just want RVA to grow at a pace faster than a 16th of an inch at a time.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Brent114 said:

The building across from Main Street Center is being converted to housing, it’s pretty close to finishing up actually.   

As for what I’m missing….it’s nothing.  Have you been to Raleigh in the last 20 years?  I don’t think you have.  And from what I gather from  your posts, you haven’t been to Richmond  in 20+ years either.   No shade.  You don’t live in this part of the country, so why would you have been to either? :) 

On paper Raleigh is doing something special.   In reality the experience of being there hasn’t changed much at all in 20 years.  Richmond is building real urban energy.  Raleigh is building suburban energy.   The influx of people there hasn’t made city life any better (because the city isn’t attracting urbanites). 

I have ZERO interest in Richmond becoming a big suburban city.  That said, the thing that the region needs to do to make that happen is expanded (and reliable) air service to the West Coast (with more Midwest destinations).  We also need to grow the local colleges and universities.  Apple couldn’t choose Richmond because there aren’t 10k people here (I know, people can move for the jobs) ready to fill those jobs and there aren’t flights to CA (we’ll see if the SF flight remains). 

Our  local colleges aren’t great at churning out STEM graduates (if you want to be competitive for companies like Apple).  UR is a small liberal arts college.  VCU is mostly medical and art (the engineering school is taking off though).  Rural high schools have a larger student body than Randolph Macon.  Virginia State could grow into an employment pipeline but it’s mostly out of sight, out of mind. 
VUU is also as small as a rural high school and is a liberal arts college. 

As for dreaming bigger, that’s rich coming on the heels of a discussion about a single 20 story building in one of America’s least interesting cities.  I’m over people comparing Richmond to Raleigh because there are dozens of other metros (including two here in VA) that are building the same things (and again even Richmond is building projects on this scale right now today).  

@Brent114-- a few thoughts:

1.) The building across from Main Street Center converting to residential: Check!! Thanks for the update on that one! Glad to hear it. :tw_thumbsup:

2.) Been to Raleigh or RVA in the last 20 years: No and yes. I haven't been to Raleigh since going on business trips as an employee of Philip Morris back in the mid-late 90s. I was last in RVA 20 years ago for my mother's funeral. As we've talked about on here, if I can pull things together enough to make it happen on my end, that might change at some point in the fall. I very much want to come home and visit my city and meet some of y'all on here who might be around. I'm still working on what I need to do to make it happen (it's not just a matter of booking flights, picking up and coming for a few days or a couple of weeks - I've got other logistics I need to consider). Nonetheless, it's in the planning process at this time. :tw_thumbsup:

3.) RVA somehow becoming a "suburban city" a la Raleigh - is a complete, total non-argument. It won't happen unless there was to be a complete, 100% merger with Henrico, Chesterfield or both - and even then, RVA has TOO LARGE of a legacy urban core. So this argument is fallacious right from the start because you're suggesting something that physically cannot happen.

4.) Colleges: Good analysis on the local university scene. This alone gives RDU-CH a CLEAR and rather robust advantage over RVA, given what UNC, NC State and Duke are churning out. NOT a knock on our institutions of higher learning - just stating simple facts.

5.) Air service: SPOT ON! The CRAC committed the fumble that keeps on bouncing in 1978 by adopting the position of "just say 'NO' to hub" ... We're behind SO many eight balls now, some 45 years later, that I honestly believe that window is all but shut for RIC to ever be anything more than a nice, reasonably connected regional domestic airport.  Forget what CLT has done and forget the cluster of DC-area hub-ports: ORF and RDU are doing better (even though RIC was outpacing ORF pre-pandemic - but Breeze setting up a focus-city in ORF is a real gut punch to RIC)  RDU has almost no competition (comparing RDU to CLT is apples-to-oranges - CLT is starting to get into the rarified air that the likes of ATL and ORD occupy. They're not quite there yet, but they're getting close!)  But RDU is operating at about 3X RIC's volume give or take. They will continue to grow passenger traffic at a significantly greater rate than RIC year-over-year for the foreseeable future.

STILL - improvements to service at RIC will go a long way toward helping our economic drivers. But I firmly believe that it will take an act of the Creator on par with the splitting of the Sea of Reeds in Exodus for RIC to land a hub. I won't say "never" - but I am pretty sure I can say "not in my lifetime" even if I make it well into my 80s (so we're talking, say, the next 25 years or so).  And that TOTALLY sucks!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

The thing is RVA isn’t growing at the pace of a 16th of an inch. In fact it’s one of the fast growing metro areas on the eastern seaboard, beating out most of the northeast and a large chunk of southeast metro areas in growth rate. Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta and Greenville SC are some of the only metros on the east coast growing faster than us. We had a higher growth rate last year than the Orlando metro area. ORLANDO FOR PETES SAKE!!!!  

I don’t think anyone on this forum doesn’t want Richmond to grow, or even for it not to grow quickly. No one in this forum was against the rezoning north of Broad street, I don’t think anyone is against thousands of jobs coming downtown, no one on this forum is against thousands of residents moving downtown. We all want Richmond to grow and be successful and equating those of us who don’t think Richmond needs an HQ2  location to get to that point to NIMBYS is insulting. Richmond has made leaps and bounds in economic development, even since the mid 2010s and that tends to get ignored some times because we are envious of the Austins, Raleighs and Charlottes of the world.

The city is most definitely on the right track and will keep its identity, even with an HQ2 but it doesn’t necessarily need it to reach the level of growth we want. RVA is becoming more popular with each day that passes and companies are starting to realize that, from Costar to Lego to Breeze all adding or expanding operations here. It won’t be long before another major company adds hundreds, if not thousands of jobs here. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

The thing is RVA isn’t growing at the pace of a 16th of an inch. In fact it’s one of the fast growing metro areas on the eastern seaboard, beating out most of the northeast and a large chunk of southeast metro areas in growth rate. Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta and Greenville SC are some of the only metros on the east coast growing faster than us. We had a higher growth rate last year than the Orlando metro area. ORLANDO FOR PETES SAKE!!!!  

I don’t think anyone on this forum doesn’t want Richmond to grow, or even for it not to grow quickly. No one in this forum was against the rezoning north of Broad street, I don’t think anyone is against thousands of jobs coming downtown, no one on this forum is against thousands of residents moving downtown. We all want Richmond to grow and be successful and equating those of us who don’t think Richmond needs an HQ2  location to get to that point to NIMBYS is insulting. Richmond has made leaps and bounds in economic development, even since the mid 2010s and that tends to get ignored some times because we are envious of the Austins, Raleighs and Charlottes of the world.

The city is most definitely on the right track and will keep its identity, even with an HQ2 but it doesn’t necessarily need it to reach the level of growth we want. RVA is becoming more popular with each day that passes and companies are starting to realize that, from Costar to Lego to Breeze all adding or expanding operations here. It won’t be long before another major company adds hundreds, if not thousands of jobs here. 

Let's clear up some confusion right now about one point: I am NOT equating any individual or groups on this forum with the NIMBYs. What I AM asserting is that the MINDSET that RVA somehow becomes "diminished" or "loses" something by more rapid growth is the very same mindset that the NIMBYs in our city exhibit every time they come out against something. Their assertion that the Fan would somehow be "diminished" by 20-story buildings north of Broad Street is the EXACT SAME MINDSET that says that RVA will somehow "become diminished" by growing faster. It was a specific response to @ancientcarpenter's contention of "why don't we just bulldoze Byrd Park and LOSE OUR IDENTITY..." Because THAT IS ESSENTIALLY THE SAME ARGUMENT CONSTANTLY PROFFERED BY THE NIMBYs. If RVA grows, RVA loses her identity.

I'm attacking the mindset and the parallel argument - not the people making the argument. Let's get that understood right here and now, yeah?

RVA could land TEN HQ2's and she won't lose her identity. I don't understand the mindset of "RVA doesn't need an HQ2" - can you help me understand? Because that flat out doens't make sense to me, particularly where there is SO MUCH to be gained by RVA serving as the headquarters city to a wide variety of large companies. I don't think your assertion that RVA "doesn't need" HQ2's would sit well with the folks at the Metro Richmond Chamber of Commerce, whose mindset has ALWAYS been to KEEP RVA as a PREMIERE headquarters city for business. Grabbing two or three more large companies won't harm RVA in the deleterious ways some appear to be promulgating.

Again, we'll have to agree to disagree on the point about HQ2's. RVA could do well with a few more. I would argue - it's not that she "needs" them - but that she DESERVES them! She is MORE THAN WORTHY of serving as the HQ city for prominent companies that will bring thousands of jobs, thousands of residents - IMPROVED AIR SERVICE - and will tick up our economic drivers to the point that disasters such as Block-D or 512 Hull either no longer happen or become extremely few and far between.

True - RVA HAS made progress by leaps and bounds on the economic development front - but I would argue it's been ONLY since the early-to-mid 2010s. Two points worth repeating:

1.) Recall that aside from one state office building and one VCU Health-related building, NOT ONE single "highrise" building (something 10 stories or taller) was constructed during an excruciating 15-year period from the completion of the Riverfront Plaza in 1990 until the Vistas on the James building in 2005. NOT ONE!!!

2.) Recall that the city spent the better part of four decades hemorrhaging population (from 1970 to the mid to late 2000s - she lost (depending on what baseline is used for the calculation) upwards of 68,000 residents. So if we were to take the growth the city has enjoyed over the past 10-20 years in terms of population, and add back the 68K residents she lost - even just minimially (not factoring in percentage growth based on a base population year-over-year, the totals for which would be significantly higher over the span of 50 years) - she would MINIMALLY have a population of over 300K. Even just playing "monopoly money" with population figures - I calculated out that a very modest 1.5% ANNUAL growth rate from 1970 through 2020 with the percentage based on a given year's newly calculated population figures inclusive of prior-year growth - had RVA NOT lost those 68K residents, she would have - CONSERVATIVELY - a population right now of around 450,000. And I'd be pleased as punch with that!

Maybe she'll hit 450,000 population in my grandkids' lifetime (and I've got a ways yet to go before there are any grandkids in the picture - I had younguns later in life - in my mid-40s - and my oldest is 13.) But RVA sure as heck won't get there in my lifetime.

WHICH TOTALLY SUCKS!!! :tw_neutral:

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, blopp1234 said:

RVA is becoming more popular with each day that passes and companies are starting to realize that, from Costar to Lego to Breeze all adding or expanding operations here. It won’t be long before another major company adds hundreds, if not thousands of jobs here. 

I do agree with you here, re: RVA becoming more popular and more known. It's a trend that will undoubtedly continue.

And as for it not being long before another major company adds a ton of jobs here: You know my saying on that: from your keyboard to God's eyes, my friend! :tw_thumbsup:

4 hours ago, whw53 said:

New rezoning filed this week , which would take half a block along Rockbridge to TOD-1. Property comprises the Ambience Lofts.

If this is to set up a re-development play - this could mark the first time a property that characterized  the first wave of residential re-adaptation in Scott's is revisited  as Scott's enters a second wave of redevelopment largely charactered by new construction.  

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/ce152130-7460-4b3c-8536-ad2f613d9b63

1716Summit.jpg

In plain terms, this means ... ?

The folks who own this property might tear this building down and replace it with something significantly larger?

37 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

In plain terms yes. 

Coolness! Thanks, Coupe!

Okay - another question: @whw53said this potentially marks the first time that a property that characterized the first wave of residential re-adaptation in Scott's is revisited. So do I understand correctly that this property was repurposed as a residential property some years ago when Scott's first began transitioning into a an urban-core residential neighborhood? And now the owners of said property are circling back, looking to replace it with something significantly bigger?

Is that the long-and-the-short of this story?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Would it kill the developer to add a smidge of color to this thing? Architecture design firms must be the most boring places to work for nowadays. 

I am surprised that so many of these building seem to be going with a very standard "slate grey' motif. A touch of color would be nice.

Love it when in-migration happens, whether its residential or business. Today it's business: Investment advisory firm moving from southwest suburbs to Scott's Addition. A personal fun fact: the former candy factory into which this company and the Veil Brewing taproom are moving is directly behind the buildings in which the envelope printing company my father worked for and later managed was located. How sweet is that? :tw_wink:

From Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/06/28/local-investment-advisory-firm-trades-midlothian-turnpike-for-scotts-addition/

Screenshot (1993).png

• Like 1