Jump to content

Scott's Addition Development


varunner

Recommended Posts


1 hour ago, whw53 said:

What's interesting is that Daniel & Co. actually has plans to put their toes in the water and do a full-up redevelopment of the property they're leaving, depending a number of factors, such as whether they could buy the properties on either side of them. Pretty neat. I'll be very interested to see what becomes of this block (1800 Roseneath).

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This was the 3rd and final installment of Ed Slipek’s review and discussion of Scott’s addition. 
He compares the area to Va beach and mentions a term I hadn’t heard - YIMBY - or yes  in my back yard. I had assumed he’d be somewhat negative on the area but was surprised at how he found so much good and comparisons to Andy Warhol, as mentioned, Va. Beach, feel like he was really embracing this area, fun to read and a perspective I wouldn’t have seen.


https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/07/15/scotts-addition-in-three-parts-life-well-scotts-addition-is-a-beach-guest-commentary/

 

Edited by Hike
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hike said:

This was the 3rd and final installment of Ed Slipek’s review and discussion of Scott’s addition. 
He compares the area to Va beach and mentions a term I hadn’t heard - YIMBY - or yes  in my back yard. I had assumed he’d be somewhat negative on the area but was surprised at how he found so much good and comparisons to Andy Warhol, as mentioned, Va. Beach, feel like he was really embracing this area, fun to read and a perspective I wouldn’t have seen.


https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/07/15/scotts-addition-in-three-parts-life-well-scotts-addition-is-a-beach-guest-commentary/

 

It was a really good article. I'm actually surprised Professor Slipek was as complimentary of the new development in Scott's as he was. The whole three-part series was a great and very enjoyable read. Until today, I hadn't heard of the term YIMBY either - I guess most of us in this UP community would qualify as YIMBYs - I know I absolutely am, particularly given the way he described YIMBYs in the article thusly:

"But yimbies, I’m told, neither sweat inflated rental fees and home costs, nor demand high architectural and construction standards. They also aren’t overly concerned with such aesthetic considerations as context and historic preservation. It’s build baby, build."

Yeah - that describes me to a T!!  (If anything, I'm a YIMBY "purist" ... as Prof. Slipek said - "build, baby, build!" pretty much everything else be damned...)  I love the term, and it's very applicable to some degree or another to many of us on this forum. :tw_thumbsup: And to @Hike's point, this article was a great and fun read - and I'm in agreement: the VAB perspective is one I didn't see coming. Very eye-opening.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/07/20/new-filings-offer-glimpse-of-planned-leigh-addition-project-on-arthur-ashe-blvd/
 

arthur Ashe addition has grown a floor.  8 stories.  But with an SUP timing will definitely push back. The site is really an eye sore these days. 

@wrldcoupe4-- any thoughts as to why the city doesn't simply move ahead with expanding TOD-1 zoning for most of (or all of) Scott's? Wouldn't putting some kind of zoning overlay prevent this kind of holdup by eliminating the necessity forSUP filings?

 

 

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Yea TOD-1 text is actually what's holding this up here as it has specific use requirements for primary streets and the like - esp. with parking, circulation. This area has been zoned TOD-1 since 2017 under phase 1 of the city led pulse stations area related re-zonings. 

Edited by whw53
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

It’s not about the height. 

So what's the basis of the SUP filing?

16 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Yea TOD-1 text is actually what's holding this up here as it has specific use requirements for primary streets and the like - esp. with parking, circulation. This area has been zoned TOD-1 since 2017 under phase 1 of the city led pulse stations area related re-zonings. 

Interesting - so do we have an idea what specifically the SUP is looking to do if the fact that TOD-1 requirements are part of the problem?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

looks like placement, scale of parking within building as well as the ride-sharing\delivery circle feature -

"The permit request, which was slated to go before the Richmond Planning Commission on July 18, seeks exemptions to location requirements for the structured parking, to allow spaces fronting the boulevard in the second-story deck, as well as a drop-off and pick-up area for ridesharing, taxis and vehicles making deliveries. Zoning requirements currently prohibit parking or vehicle circulation along principal street frontages."

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, whw53 said:

looks like placement, scale of parking within building as well as the ride-sharing\delivery circle feature -

"The permit request, which was slated to go before the Richmond Planning Commission on July 18, seeks exemptions to location requirements for the structured parking, to allow spaces fronting the boulevard in the second-story deck, as well as a drop-off and pick-up area for ridesharing, taxis and vehicles making deliveries. Zoning requirements currently prohibit parking or vehicle circulation along principal street frontages."

Thanks, @whw53for the clarification. Good to know. :tw_thumbsup:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

TOD as a zoning district  was a win for less restriction in terms of what you could do or use the property for but it actually laid out a lot of form based controls at the same time. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

45 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Do you think this one will get a tower crane?  7 stories in a pretty confined space…thoughts?  Would love to see it happen on the WTVR-6 webcam!

The thought ran through my mind earlier today as well. It's a good question. I wonder how much of a difference the site footprint makes? Consider that the Commodore over in Manchester is, what, five stories? And it has a tower crane. But the footprint is larger. So - I'm not sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Downtowner said:

Just wanted to update a couple projects I’ve glanced at while on lunch break and going home from my current job site in Gilpin court. I see soda flats is deep into the ground now laying pipe for the building. Then I noticed yesterday that novel on Arthur Ashe near the diamond right next to the greyhound bus station seems to be going well. I saw they were drilling into the ground getting ready to put up pillars for the foundation. Excited to see these two projects are underway. As far as shockoe hill apartments where I’m currently at since the company I work for as doing the electrical found out today we only have four weeks left at that job before we finish our part of it, not sure where we will go next but I will let everyone know and I’m hoping we go back to the pinecrest. So we will see. The only other electrical project that I know of that we are doing is memorial regional out in Hanover. They are adding onto that hospital. 

@Downtowner-- thanks SO much for the updates!

Question: is there -- or will there be -- any digging for the Novel building? 

What with a sizeable hole now on the site of the Soda Flats, anyone up to snapping any pix?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

@Downtowner-- thanks SO much for the updates!

Question: is there -- or will there be -- any digging for the Novel building? 

What with a sizeable hole now on the site of the Soda Flats, anyone up to snapping any pix?


Im sure they will  have to put the underground pvc electrical pipes that shoots up into the electrical room. With the novel I’m sure there will be a lot of trench digging to lay underground pvc electrical pipes.

Edited by Downtowner
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

One of the apartment buildings on Belleville sprouting out of the ground. Think this is the 126 unit project Freeland and Thalhimer are doing. 

 

2E5F819E-83F2-48B5-9151-75EC5A9DAD33.jpeg

Thanks for taking and posting this, Coupe! Wow - they're making light work of it! It's going pretty quickly, all things considered.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.