Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DanRNC

Carolina Hurricanes

5 posts in this topic

The older Hurricanes thread is now archived so this is being renewed, but may not last long as all signs, the latest fire sale, point to a Canadian relocation for this team, most likely Quebec. What is the word down in the Raleigh area regarding this?

They've been one of the more successful expansion Sun Belt teams, and do have a strong base down in Raleigh.  I just don't see them moving any time soon.  Maybe I'm biased since I grew up on the Canes.  I think this fire sale was more a way to invigorate and plan for the team next year.  They have a decent year currently, so who knows.  But I would doubt they move before other Sun Belt teams, like the Florida Panthers or Phoenix Coyotes, relocate. 

I would honestly be surprised if the Hurricanes relocated to Quebec City in the near future (or anywhere for that matter) as long as Karamanos still owns the team.. Though, could be a different situation when he sells them (is he still actively trying to do that?). Also, I remember there was some heavy speculation about that late last year when the new Quebec arena opened up, but right now the Canadian dollar isn't doing well and that makes this option less likely. The Raleigh-Durham market is only growing and has a strong economy. The one thing the Canes don't have going for them right now is that they are dead last in attendance, despite being a decent team this year. That doesn't help the rumors though, even if it's not likely. For the life of me I can't figure out why Florida has two hockey teams. I don't know the current situation of the Florida Panthers, but I think that would be a logical candidate as well. The Lightning actually do pretty well in Tampa.

6 hours ago, DanRNC said:

The older Hurricanes thread is now archived so this is being renewed, but may not last long as all signs, the latest fire sale, point to a Canadian relocation for this team, most likely Quebec. What is the word down in the Raleigh area regarding this?

You don't seem to know much about hockey.  Here's some more info on the "fire sale" as you call it.

http://www.canescountry.com/2016/2/29/11135150/2016-nhl-trade-deadline-hurricanes-trade-john-michael-liles-to-bruins

Or generally smart GM moves when you consider they were 3 unrestricted free agents.  Basically dumbed down... we got some prospects and draft picks for loaning out our rent-a-players to playoff teams.  If we want them back Canes can re-sign them in the off-season.  Whether they do that or not will come down to contract demands from the players and their value on the free market.

Actually I know quite a bit about hockey and when you unceremoniously unload the face/captain of your franchise and make no real moves in free agency it signals they are not committed to winning in NC. Of course, they blabber about "rebuilding" but this really is the pre-sale, pre-relocation yard sale.  The Hurricanes have some of the lowest attendance in the league and no buyer, in his right mind,  is going to absorb those losses.