Bridgestone Arena: further development of property

markhollin

Recently the Nashville Predators' management team began discussion about further development of the site that would include possible restaurants/clubs along Broadway; adding a small permanent stage within the plaza facing the corner of Fifth and Broadway; and a possible hotel over the parking garage facing the corner of Sixth and Demonbreun.  

Questions to be considered: 

1) Would the existing parking garage at the NE corner of Sixth and Dembonreun be razed in order to build further footings/infrastructure for a high rise hotel? This is a prime location, being directly across the street from the front entrance of the Music City Center. Because the footprint is relatively small (about the size of Gulch Crossing Building with 30% knocked off), even a 250 room hotel would probably rise at least 25 stories.  Would they dig a deeper foundation that would allow for several levels of underground parking?  Would they also need incorporate another 2-3 levels of parking at ground level and above with restaurant/retail/hotel lobby wrapping around? 

2) Would the existing structure that faces Broadway be razed (or at least have the front wall taken out) in order to transform that stretch into restaurant/bar space?  Would it end up being a story for two taller than currently?  Would it include rooftop bar overlook with great views all the way down Broadway?

3) Would they retain the cone-shaped Rehearsal Hall that is on the NW corner of Fifth and Demonbreun? It takes up over 1/3 of the footprint on the southern end of the complex.  The hall was used quite a bit in the first ten years of the arena's existence, but usage has been sketchy of late. That space has a lot of potential as a possible permanent theater.  Could probably seat 1,200-2,000 people depending on the layout. Since Nashville continues to grow as one of the top entertainment destinations in the nation (even internationally), it would seem that another concert hall would have potential, especially with the aggressive Predators' front office booking shows in order to keep further revenue pouring into the facility which they manage.  

Looking forward to creative input and discussion about these exciting possibilities.

Here are shots of the facilities as they exist now.  

Section facing Broadway.

Bridgestone Arena facing Broadway.jpg

Garage facing the corner of Sixth and Broadway.

Bridgestone Arena Garage lot 1, Feb.jpg

Bridgestone Arena Garage lot 2, Feb.jpg

Overhead view with Rehearsal Hall at lower left

Bridgestone Arena overhead 1.jpg

Overhead view with Rehearsal Hall at lower right, parking garage lower left

Bridgestone Arena overhead 2.jpg

Interior views of Rehearsal Hall.

Bridgestone Arena rehearsal hall 1.JPG

Bridgestone Arena Rehearsal Hall 2.jpg

Outside view of Rehearsal Hall the faces the corner of Fifth and Demonbreun

Bridgestone Arena Rehearsal Hall 3.jpg

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 4

just curious, but would it be possible for them to expand Bridgestone to seat more people?? I'm not saying that needs to happen now, but in the future for the building to remain viable to hold large events would the arena ever come to a point that it is just to small for a growing city and entertainment destination!? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Titans10 said:

just curious, but would it be possible for them to expand Bridgestone to seat more people?? I'm not saying that needs to happen now, but in the future for the building to remain viable to hold large events would the arena ever come to a point that it is just to small for a growing city and entertainment destination!? 

I'm certainly no authority on the subject, but it doesn't seem like it would really NEED expansion as the city grew, only because it's already roughly the same size as most arenas in most other cities.  

• Like 1

They definitely should do whatever it takes to turn the garage into a hotel.  Perfect location.

They also should definitely start over with that northwest section (the office area) and turn it into either retail, restaurants or a high-rise hotel or office space.

Lastly...could the rehearsal hall be fitted for a downtown IMAX?

• Like 1

That rehearsal hall is a HUGE draw for them.  There is no way they would convert it.  They've actually got some artists to add an additional Nashville show by giving them serious discounts to renting it.  (Source: Bridgestone employee during Daddy/Daughter Preds Hockey game tour)  It's also used as circus staging, media area for tournaments and music industry stage construction.  It's a huge asset.  Unfortunately it's facing a significant intersection.  

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Titans10 said:

I think due to the design of the structure, it would be difficult to add more than a few hundred seats without a major financial commitment. And, as BnaBreaker stated, the building is fairly competitive with facilities worldwide when it comes to capacity, luxury suites, etc.  

13 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

That rehearsal hall is a HUGE draw for them.  There is no way they would convert it.  They've actually got some artists to add an additional Nashville show by giving them serious discounts to renting it.  (Source: Bridgestone employee during Daddy/Daughter Preds Hockey game tour)  It's also used as circus staging, media area for tournaments and music industry stage construction.  It's a huge asset.  Unfortunately it's facing a significant intersection.  

Thanks for the background info, TheRaglander.  I wasn't aware that it was being used as much as it was a while back.  I was on Mayor Bredesen's committee for researching and brainstorming on the arena back in 1993.  I was one of the few in the group who pushed hard for the idea of a rehearsal hall (we were losing a lot of business to Pensacola and Lakeland, FL arenas on large tour rehearsals at that time).  Perhaps they could market it for additional purposes beyond the ones you mentioned.  It is a an interesting space in a prime locale.

I also was one of the the few on that committee that stated clearly that hockey layout and infrastructure needed to be in place.  Very glad that the others listened to my reasoning.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

I think due to the design of the structure, it would be difficult to add more than a few hundred seats without a major financial commitment. And, as BnaBreaker stated, the building is fairly competitive with facilities worldwide when it comes to capacity, luxury suites, etc.

20,000 appears to be about the upper limit for multi-purpose arenas. But the Preds probably wouldn't appreciate an increase in capacity outside of Saturday games (or when the Drunkhawks come to town...).

That being said, it doesn't appear technically difficult to expand the south end over the garage. It would be ugly but the seats would have pretty good views thanks to the arena's design. If it partially expanded to the size of the north end's upper deck, capacity would go up by about 2,500.

Speaking of the garage, it doesn't look like it was built to accommodate another structure above it (judging by the size and spacing of the vertical members on Google Earth). The roof also overhangs a portion of it. And as I recall there's a loading dock and access tunnel for trucks underneath, so it's constrained in that direction too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nashville Cliff said:

Or better yet, the Titans' owners could build a domed football stadium.

Or better yet, the Titans could go to Saint Louis or elsewhere and we could raze the stadium and build a nice large urban residential neighborhood with nice pedestrian spaces, shopping, office towers, restaurants, and utilize the land 24/7/365 rather than 30 times a year while the rest of the year it's a desolate urban wasteland! The Titans are an example of how big time sports ruined and  decimated our city landscape. At least the arena and news Sounds ballpark are better utilized.

Edited by Paramount747
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Paramount747 said:

Or better yet, the Titans could go to Saint Louis or elsewhere and we could raze the stadium and build a nice large urban residential neighborhood with nice pedestrian spaces, shopping, office towers, restaurants, and utilize the land 24/7/365 rather than 30 times a year while the rest of the year it's a desolate urban wasteland! The Titans are an example of how big time sports ruined and  decimated our city landscape. At least the arena and news Sounds ballpark are better utilized.

You could remove the Titans from this post and it could be taken from new urbanism propaganda. 

It didn't work, btw. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bigeasy said:

How is the Sounds ballpark better utilized than Nissan Stadium? Serious question. The area around the Sounds was already developed some, so if you just look at the actual property the baseball stadium is on I don't know how you could argue it is better utilized than the Titans. The Titans stadium did wonders to that side of the river. Without them we probably wouldn't have a nice park on that side, a renovated Riverfront building, and the foot traffic across the pedestrian bridge would be very minimal if even existent. 

I get that not all people like the NFL, but I would be disappointed if they left and the stadium was gone. I also think it would hurt the city. No more college bowl games, soccer games, CMA Fest, and other large concerts. Sure the Titans suck right now, and the stadium isn't the best, but the Titans are a great asset to the city/state. (in my opinion)

Amen

• Like 2

Here is the article from last June that initiated the speculation as to possible additional uses on the arena property…in this case another Omni Hotel location facing Broadway.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2015/07/08/groups-discuss-idea-hotel-bridgestone-arena-space/29888677/

Here is a spec rendering from PHofKS on how a 400-room hotel might fit on that uniquely-shaped lot:

Arena Hotel Fantasy_zpsyz2ttb0r.jpg

Edited by markhollin

25 minutes ago, wreynol4 said:

What are the odds of this happening?  Seems like there was an article last year that said they were putting these plans on hold for a tower there.

It was brought back up a couple weeks ago.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson%20/2016/02/23/bridgestone-arena-additions-development-explored/80817044/