Bridgestone Arena: further development of property

markhollin

7 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Yep.  Pretty sure all the Preds games are sellouts and I think they may now have a waiting list for season tickets?

Yeah, I believe it’s around 110 games now. There is a waiting list. They also changed the way they do half season plans. You now get half the games and another season ticket holder gets the other half. You’re also only guaranteed one game per round in the playoffs with the half. It’s what led us to sign on for the three year full plan. 

• Like 1

This off season I believe they're installing new ribbon boards that will encircle the entire arena bowl. I would guess that the future A/V updates would involve updating the control room and replacing the jumbotron. They were both last updated in 2007 if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by Alley
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, nashvylle said:

10 years ago, would you say Fenway was still historic without any world series for a century and a "curse"? What about Wrigley?

I really do not like Nissan Stadium, but if the detroit lions can possibly add a retractable roof to their 18 year old stadium (for MLS), if Green Bay can add thousands of more seats in a major renovation, if Miami Dolphins can seat protection throughout their stadium in a major renovation, same with Wimbledon and Arthur Ashe.... Nissan can be renovated to be able to host Super Bowls and NCAA Final Four, and we don't have to spend $1.5BN minimum to do it. 

Wrigley was def historic 10 years ago. The fact that I know all about Fenway and can't stand baseball probably speaks for it's historic value. 

But I agree with what you are saying on Nissan benefiting from having renovations. My argument was just that making the renovations is not going to make it historic. I 100% think they should keep the team at it's current location. I think the team would really benefit in the long run with having a stadium so close to downtown, especially if they could replace what is around the stadium. Add in renovations and then have 5-10 years of performance like the late 90s/early 2000s and the franchise could change drastically.  

• Like 1

Like you guys said, historic comes from nostalgia. Unfortunately the Titans haven't been around long enough to have truly developed that nostalgia.  Fenway and Wrigley have their own unique nostalgia that is different from all other sports, they are lucky enough to have sports teams that have been to the bottom (for long periods of time) and the top. But the venues themselves present very unique features. The Green Monster in left field, the ivy on the outfield wall. Iconic pieces that ingrained themselves into baseball lore. Lambeau is different because it is predicated on the fact that the team has been extremely successful and the fact the team and stadium is owned by the citizens of Green Bay (at least the team is, not sure about the stadium). Boston is incredibly thankful that ownership did not build a new stadium. 

Nissan's nostalgia will grow as the teams history increases and as long as the ownership group works on the stadium like the preds ownership has, the stadium will stay relevant. As a designer (who has never worked on stadium project) the profession of designing stadiums also needs to change so that they arent so set in stone and can be flexible as the stadium ages. The location of Nissan is  ideal, and I would think it would do nothing but hurt the team to move it elsewhere. The sea of asphalt being developed and creating a neighborhood around Nissan will go a long way for the stadium itself as well.

• Like 3

Twenty year season ticket holder here.

• Nissan could still work well if extra room on the upper deck concourses were provided along with more variety in dining and tables to sit and eat at (a poor man's club section).
  • They need ped bridges from the upper deck to the Woodland Street and Seigenthaler bridges with unique gates.
  • No dome is necessary, but some shade would be nice. Those 95 * days on the concrete can be brutal. A soccer stadium style roof would work well.
  • They need various sections fenced off to proved ticket integrity. Right now, you can buy a $10 ticket and move over to the $100 seats with no problem if seats are available.
  • Similar fixes can be provided to the lower bowl with Plazas opened up for comfortable eating along with better restrooms.

No Super Bowl or Final Four would be held here, but a billion dollars would be saved.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, PHofKS said:

They need various sections fenced off to proved ticket integrity. Right now, you can buy a $10 ticket and move over to the $100 seats with no problem if seats are available.

Ideally, there wouldn't be empty seats for people to move down to. That comes from putting a better product on the field. Otherwise, ushers should be checking patrons tickets as they come into the section. I haven't been to Nissan is several years but I've been to a dozen other major league sporting events and every game I've been to has ushers at each section entrance checking tickets. Better training for ushers would be cheaper than building a fence. Also, I may be mistaken, but I believe fencing off sections is against NFL Policy.

• Like 4

On 7/17/2018 at 3:58 PM, Tenn2Tex said:

According to the 2017/18 stats, the Preds averaged above capacity for the 41 regular season home games. So statistically they averaged more than sellout.  http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance

I do not believe those numbers at all.  There is no way we averaged 97% capacity the year we had the #3 overall pick.

10 hours ago, 21jump said:

Ideally, there wouldn't be empty seats for people to move down to. That comes from putting a better product on the field. Otherwise, ushers should be checking patrons tickets as they come into the section. I haven't been to Nissan is several years but I've been to a dozen other major league sporting events and every game I've been to has ushers at each section entrance checking tickets. Better training for ushers would be cheaper than building a fence. Also, I may be mistaken, but I believe fencing off sections is against NFL Policy.

Honestly, who cares if people from the cheap seats come down.  And please, do not fence off sections of the stadium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster

4 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

I do not believe those numbers at all.  There is no way we averaged 97% capacity the year we had the #3 overall pick.

Not sure when we had the #3 pick, but we have 100 consecutive sellouts. 

https://www.nhl.com/predators/news/preds-praise-fans-as-100th-consecutive-sellout-arrives/c-297423060

I found this quote interesting (and relieving) 

https://twitter.com/joeygarrison/status/1019984647734939648?s=20

image.png.113c751dd3c30598baf6d1691e594f40.png

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

Honestly, who cares if people from the cheap seats come down.  And please, do not fence off sections of the stadium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster

10 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Not sure when we had the #3 pick, but we have 100 consecutive sellouts. 

https://www.nhl.com/predators/news/preds-praise-fans-as-100th-consecutive-sellout-arrives/c-297423060

I found this quote interesting (and relieving) 

https://twitter.com/joeygarrison/status/1019984647734939648?s=20

image.png.113c751dd3c30598baf6d1691e594f40.png

It was 2013-14, if you use the drop-down in the link to change the year. I’m sure the fact that 2013-14 was lockout-shortened has something to do with that. 

• Thanks 1

Whatever, I was at those games.  Tickets were stupid easy to get back then and you could see and feel that the attendance was low.  And forget avg 97% capacity.  You used to be able to buy gameday specials to sit in the lower bowl with a drink and hotdog for what it costs to buy a single upper bowl seat to today's games.  Now you can't get a ticket to the lower bowl for less than $120.

And of course teams count tickets sold and not butts in seats.  This was all started because a quote of mine from two years ago was used, after a Cup run, of course the attendance is going to be up after something like that. 

All I'm saying is take those ESPN numbers with a grain of salt.

23 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

Actually, the season (partial due to lockout) that the Preds "earned" the #3 pick was 2013, and they averaged over 99% capacity.  It was following the 2011-12 season when they were so strong, and there was high anticipation for better results than they got.  Of course, they were decimated by injuries, and finished near the bottom of the standings.

Nashville 24 407,386 16,974 99.2
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, glamdring269 said:

I know this isn't a Preds draft thread but really can't remember any time in recent memory that the Preds had the 3rd pick.  I do remember having the 4th pick (Seth Jones) but that was unexpected due to injuries.  Honestly it really ended up being just the right time to have a bad year.

I always wonder what would have happened if one of the three teams in front of us in the draft that year had decided that they wanted a defenseman instead of a forward. I definitely think it turned out for the best but the “alternative histories” are fascinating to think about. 

9 hours ago, glamdring269 said:

I know this isn't a Preds draft thread but really can't remember any time in recent memory that the Preds had the 3rd pick.  I do remember having the 4th pick (Seth Jones) but that was unexpected due to injuries.  Honestly it really ended up being just the right time to have a bad year.

You're right, I'm speaking of the Seth Jones draft year.  The season leading up to that was not averaging 97% capacity.

That includes the upgrade to a full 1080p system, capable of super slo-mo replay to show fans additional looks at the action from angles never seen before.

Ha, like they actually play in game replays.  Anything besides a goal or crowd shot they do not show.  Really frustrating when we want to see why a penalty was or was not called.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
5 minutes ago, markhollin said:

The Nashville Predators and Mayor David Briley's administration have reached an agreement that will keep the hockey franchise at Bridgestone Arena for decades to come, while phasing out payments from the city's general fund.

The Predators currently receive about $8.4 million annually in incentives and subsidies to run the arena efficiently and book as many non-hockey events as possible. The team will continue to receive incentives to bring in concerts, but the operating subsidy that Metro pays out of its general fund will be eliminated over the 30 years of the deal, sources told The Tennessean.

The Predators will also continue to receive funds from ticket surcharges to pay for capital projects at Bridgestone Arena.

Details of the agreement are expected to be unveiled next week.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2019/05/09/nashville-predators-bridgestone-arena-lease-deal/1152293001/

Just on the surface that's a win-win-win agreement IYAM.

• Like 1