Bridgestone Arena: further development of property

markhollin

2 hours ago, nashwatcher said:

IMO

1) raze the wall facing Broadway. use brick, blend it in, and give it the 'Good Ole Nashville Broadway' feel that tourists from all over love. rooftop bars. sure. makes it more festive along Broadway for tourists. slam dunk.

2) raze the parking lot in the back. such a prime location for a hotel. you could do the same retail/restaurant/entertainment wrapped around the building like you do on Broadway. you've got all the Music City Center visitors facing this side, and as SoBro continues to grow you'll have many more potential patrons. build the hotel with some serious height. slam dunk #2.

3) rehearsal hall = IMAX theater. residential downtown living is growing rapidly. we've reached a critical mass and it will continue. the theater would be a hit.

I agree with one & two, however leave the IMAX for Lifeway Campus in my opinion. The additions of restaurant/bar on the Broadway-side would already make the Bridge the best arena in the NHL. Adding hotel to it would make it the most interesting venue perhaps in the world.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nashwatcher said:

2) raze the parking lot in the back. such a prime location for a hotel. you could do the same retail/restaurant/entertainment wrapped around the building like you do on Broadway. you've got all the Music City Center visitors facing this side, and as SoBro continues to grow you'll have many more potential patrons. build the hotel with some serious height. slam dunk #2.

Huge +1 for this. That parking garage seems downright tiny by today's standards. Surely it only barely holds the capacity of the arena (or maybe not even that). If they doubled the size of the garage and put a large tower on top of it, that would guarantee the garage being used pretty much 24/7 and certainly better utilized than it is today.

7 minutes ago, Vrtigo said:

Huge +1 for this. That parking garage seems downright tiny by today's standards. Surely it only barely holds the capacity of the arena (or maybe not even that). If they doubled the size of the garage and put a large tower on top of it, that would guarantee the garage being used pretty much 24/7 and certainly better utilized than it is today.

The attached garage only holds a few hundred cars.  It was primarily made for staff usage, and as perk for high-end season ticket holders, or for those willing topaz ridiculously high rates to park during events.

My hope is that someday First Baptist will sell/lease their lot that is directly across 6th Avenue (just to the south of the church) for a major development that would include another 1,000 capacity garage beneath, wrapped by retail and a major hotel on top.  Certainly that spot would be primo for that. The church could have it in their agreement that they would have access to 500 spots on Sunday mornings (about the only time the ever use the lot themselves), and perhaps even get a % of parking revenue throughout each week.  It's a ridiculous shame that lot is just surface parking at this stage of SoBro's boom.    

Would it be loud inside a hotel connected to the arena and facing Broadway? I am never downtown so I wasn't sure on the noise level. I know events at the arena wouldn't be that late into the night, but I wasn't sure if street level activity would be an issue until the wee hours of the morning.

• 5 months later...
8 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Seems to me that the "back" tower over the garage should be a tall hotel tower with the MCC right across the street.

As I recall, Sean mentioned that there were some challenges with having too many floors or additional weight above that existing parking garage area, which has several layers of load-in and team parking beneath ground level.

• Like 2

From a visual perspective, I'm not a fan of covering up the beautiful curved, glass elevation at the plaza.  I realize the additions there might make for a better fan/user experience, etc. but the view looking south on 5th from Broadway toward the CMHoF is one of my favorite in the city.  I love the way those curves play off of and compliment each other.  

• Like 2

Metro should sell the office/hotel portion to the highest bidder and use the proceeds to fund the arena upgrades... ERGO limitation metro $ utilized. 

I do really like these proposals. We have the best location of the arena in the country, and these upgrades can ensure it is one of the best arenas in the country too. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
10 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Fenway Park, Lambeau Field, MSG... 

I agree, and think the same can and should be applied to Nissan Stadium. 

Don't know if I can make that bridge to Nissan. Fenway and Lambeau are historic. Nissan, well. Bridgestone with its location and already iconic space needle can be. 

To really update Nissan the way it needs to be you are probably better off just starting from scratch.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DDIG said:

Don't know if I can make that bridge to Nissan. Fenway and Lambeau are historic. Nissan, well. Bridgestone with its location and already iconic space needle can be. 

To really update Nissan the way it needs to be you are probably better off just starting from scratch.

Nissan would need major improvements, but not $1.5-$2.0 BN worth of improvements to make it historic and last another few decades. 

You can't make a stadium historic with development/improvements. The team/fans make it historic. 

Fenway is historic because the Red Sox have been around 100+years , rank in probably top 5 for wins in baseball, and won multiple World Series. Same for Lambeau. It is a historic venue because the Packers are one of the oldest franchises, have an incredible fan base, and the most championships of any team. 

45 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

10 years ago, would you say Fenway was still historic without any world series for a century and a "curse"? What about Wrigley?

I really do not like Nissan Stadium, but if the detroit lions can possibly add a retractable roof to their 18 year old stadium (for MLS), if Green Bay can add thousands of more seats in a major renovation, if Miami Dolphins can seat protection throughout their stadium in a major renovation, same with Wimbledon and Arthur Ashe.... Nissan can be renovated to be able to host Super Bowls and NCAA Final Four, and we don't have to spend $1.5BN minimum to do it. 

Hard Rock Stadium is a completely different stadium now with their renovations. It was basically an entire gut job for around $500 million. I grew up in south Florida and Joe Robbie was worse, in my opinion, then Nissan Stadium. My wife and I went down last year to a couple Hurricanes games, and I was blown away with what they were able to do. I would be in favor of something similar here instead of them trying to build a new stadium.  

• Like 3

On 3/3/2016 at 5:44 PM, grilled_cheese said:

The largest capacity NHL arena is the Bell Centre in Montreal at 21k.  Bridgestone is just above 17k and Nashville isn't going to sell out for an entire season unless the Preds win a couple cups so there is no benefit to adding more seating.

According to the 2017/18 stats, the Preds averaged above capacity for the 41 regular season home games. So statistically they averaged more than sellout.  http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance

• Like 3

On 3/3/2016 at 6:44 PM, grilled_cheese said:

The largest capacity NHL arena is the Bell Centre in Montreal at 21k.  Bridgestone is just above 17k and Nashville isn't going to sell out for an entire season unless the Preds win a couple cups so there is no benefit to adding more seating.

Haven't the Preds sold out like 90 consecutive games?

• Like 3