Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
westsider28

Spartanburg Regional Medical Center Campus

6 posts in this topic

I was checking a construction bid website and found a Spartanburg Regional medical office building project.  It will be across Church Street from Archibald Rutledge next to the hospital's parking lot (map).  Aimee Street will be brought around to intersect with Centennial.  It's an interesting building.  It will be built near the street, but the entrance will be from the back (parking lot side).  Due to the grade, it will be 2-floors street-side and 3-floors on the parking lot side.  And it will be a really modern design on the parking lot side, but more traditional-looking and brick street-side.

Here's a site plan and rendering and some elevations North & East; South & West. (links are to PDFs)

The first of many new pieces on the SRHS campus. The collective impact of what SRHS and Wofford are doing to their campuses over the next few years is going to be incredible.

2 people like this

Spartanburg Regional gave an update on some of their future plans at a Chamber event on Friday.  The Chamber's Twitter account posted a photo of the aforementioned medical office building.  It looks a bit different than the plans; not sure which is more accurate.  But it looks pretty nice.

56eed09fbca8e_SMCMOB(2).jpg.a09fb563bab6

I hope they build another parking deck at some point.  There's way too much surface parking, particularly across Church St.  It would be nice to keep all hospital development on one side of Church.  Then the other side could be developed as apartments with retail/restaurant space or something.

Where exactly will this office building be built?

See my "map" link in the first post.  Basically right across Church Street from the Archibald Rutledge senior housing building.  Kind of disconnected from the main hospital, which is interesting.

I updated the projects map to show this change.

I'm disappointed that the back side of the building is facing the street. While it's not in the 'urban core' of the city, we still shouldn't ignore elements that make the entire city more walkable. Seems like the hospital would support that concept. Further, if the day ever comes where they need to build a parking deck in the back, the front door will barely be visible.