Homewood Suites - Main and Markley

vicupstate

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously, if you want to be on Main Street across from a baseball stadium the city has heavily invested in, then you should be able to afford brick or limestone. Not EIFS. 

The changes make it look like it could be built next to an airport or a suburban mall. 

Edited by FUgrad02

Woof! This should generate outrage. Classic bait and switch. These out of town developers continue to over-promise, under-deliver. I really hope the DRB steps up and doesn't feel pressure to allow this one through. Too important of a corner to allow cheap design/materials. 

Just now, gvegas12 said:

Woof! This should generate outrage. Classic bait and switch. These out of town developers continue to over-promise, under-deliver. I really hope the DRB steps up and doesn't feel pressure to allow this one through. Too important of a corner to allow cheap design/materials. 

The best hope we have is that their new guidelines have been written strictly enough for them to actually have a say. They can't just block one's right to improve their property. There must be a legal framework in place for them to reject a proposal, and I don't think we've seen this challenged since the new guidelines were passed. Here's hoping a precedent is set in August and protects the aesthetics of our beloved downtown! 

26 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Attend the DRB meeting and let them know you don't like the proposed changes. Complaining on this forum won't do any good. 

Yeah, I'm not driving down from Maryland for that. I'm just making an observation and a comment on an online forum.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2017 at 0:42 AM, westsider28 said:

I did some Googling and found an updated 3D rendering. (I included the original rendering below it for comparison.)  Changing from brick to EIFS on the upper 2 floors definitely takes the appearance down a notch.  Seems alright otherwise.

Homewood_Final-Option-1.jpg?fit=1200,675

597031c98be81_GVLHWS.jpg.ec2eb52a98ada37ed8ffc66a80868cd0.jpg

The devil is In the details and the new is very lacking. A much inferior product. They basically took away all the details that gave it some appeal , character, and class, and made it look like every other boring box being built right now. BOOOOO! Come on DRB, get some backbone or get lost.

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/news/drb-tells-developer-proposed-hotel-go-back-drawing-board/

(fist pump after reading this from the article): "Fountaine said the new look of the parking garage was unacceptable because Rhett Street is a pedestrian street and the new look of the garage is “very industrial.” “We cannot have an exposed garage structure like this on this street,” she said. “I hope your clients understand there is additional cost building a hotel on Main Street rather than a block off or in the suburbs,” she said. “This is not on some exit on 385. It’s on Main Street, not only Main Street but in the West End in which brick is dominant.”

Nice work, DRB. Way to step up for Greenville!

• Like 3