Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
organsnyder

Rockford Construction mixed-use project at Madison Ave and Cottage Grove SE

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just saw the following announcement on the GPNA Facebook page:

Rockford Construction will be building in our area. The addresses for the proposed developments are 1515 Madison Ave and 355 Cottage Grove St SE.

The plan is for 32 apartment units on the second and third floors, with office and community space on the first floor. SEEDS of Promise will be holding a community meeting with them on March 11th at 1:00 pm at 1408 Madison SE. If you are interested in hearing more about this plan, and have any questions, please be sure to attend this meeting.

This is the first I've heard of this project. Not sure if they are planning to use any of the existing structures. The building on Madison looks like it would be perfect for this sort of re-use: built in 1919, brick, hardwood floors, looks to be in solid shape. Not sure about the rest of the structures on the properties. Also not sure if this is slated to be LIHTC or market rate.

I'm glad to see some activity in that area. There are quite a few other under-utilized properties, including some other large old industrial spaces (at least one of which has the Azzar name on it).

Edited by organsnyder

The building with The Hubb LLC painted on it?

4 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

The building with The Hubb LLC painted on it?

Yes, Rockford bought it from the Land Bank a couple years ago.  Nice inside deal that never hit the market ;)

Looks like LINC might be looking for a bit more info on this project:

Wow. The proposal [PDF] is quite fascinating. This is a lot bigger than a single multi-use development.

I'm torn on this. On the one hand, I'm extremely excited to see this sort of attention—by a for-profit developer—finally being paid to this area. There is a lot of potential here, and the Cottage Grove industrial sites are somewhat of a wasteland. However, their apparent lack of community involvement is concerning: In addition to LINC's concerns, I never once heard anything about this during my three years on the GPNA board (my term just ended this year), even though half of the Cottage Grove area highlighted in their plan is within GPNA boundaries.

The proposal is certainly written with investors as the primary audience rather than the community. Hopefully they will improve their communication with the neighborhoods going forward.

58 minutes ago, organsnyder said:

Wow. The proposal [PDF] is quite fascinating. This is a lot bigger than a single multi-use development.

I'm torn on this. On the one hand, I'm extremely excited to see this sort of attention—by a for-profit developer—finally being paid to this area. There is a lot of potential here, and the Cottage Grove industrial sites are somewhat of a wasteland. However, their apparent lack of community involvement is concerning: In addition to LINC's concerns, I never once heard anything about this during my three years on the GPNA board (my term just ended this year), even though half of the Cottage Grove area highlighted in their plan is within GPNA boundaries.

The proposal is certainly written with investors as the primary audience rather than the community. Hopefully they will improve their communication with the neighborhoods going forward.

Well with my elementary education level in property development :), tying up the properties with option agreements does have to be done in "secrecy" because once word gets out, the remaining property owners start jacking up their prices and the project could become non-viable. And I'm sure they're just options at this point in time for most of it. Edit: it actually spells that out on page 31.

It does seem more like a prospectus to investors, rather than a plan being presented to the city or the neighborhood.

Once they get all of the properties on option agreements, and investors interested, then to me the next step is community engagement to see what kinds of jobs and residential units people in the neighborhood would like to see (since diversity of housing and increasing employment in that area are two of the stated goals of the plan).

Another edit: page 26 lays out the community engagement portion, and different organizations that they may reach out to. LINC's one complaint was that they were named as a "partner" on this project, which I can't seem to find. Only LINC is shown as an organization that they've had initial conversations with.

Interesting conundrum.

1 person likes this

I've just heard that this document was indeed not intended for public consumption. As the document lays out, they're just beginning the very early stages of community engagement.

I agree with GRDad—they couldn't possibly have planned this project in the open. LINC, as a developer themselves, should know this.

This is an extremely exciting development. I am still concerned about the racial, class, and insider-vs-outsider conflicts that are inherent to a project such as this (and shame on LINC for fanning the flames [or perhaps lighting the spark] before the project was even announced), but Rockford's approach appears to have the best interests of the neighbors in mind. I'm very familiar with their Cottage Grove target area (I live just a half-block outside of it), and it has always seemed to me to be a perfect opportunity for development. Many of the properties are vacant or underutilized (Azzar owns some of them), and the surrounding neighborhoods are fairly stable. This project looks more like an attempt to strengthen the existing community, rather than a greedy outsider capitalist looking to smother and supplant it.

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, organsnyder said:

Sounds like Rockford's plans are moving forward. Interestingly, part of it involves purchasing land from LINC:

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/features/111016-On-The-Ground9.aspx

Interesting. I would say that with the Doug and Maria Devos Foundation involved, I doubt it will just be made into your run-of-the-mill mixed use project. Unlike some of the more controversial investments from the other Devos foundations, Doug and Maria Devos have given a lot to GRPS, including UPrep and other initiatives. 

We shall see.

1 person likes this

On 3/4/2016 at 7:42 AM, organsnyder said:

Just saw the following announcement on the GPNA Facebook page:

Rockford Construction will be building in our area. The addresses for the proposed developments are 1515 Madison Ave and 355 Cottage Grove St SE.

The plan is for 32 apartment units on the second and third floors, with office and community space on the first floor. SEEDS of Promise will be holding a community meeting with them on March 11th at 1:00 pm at 1408 Madison SE. If you are interested in hearing more about this plan, and have any questions, please be sure to attend this meeting.

This is the first I've heard of this project. Not sure if they are planning to use any of the existing structures. The building on Madison looks like it would be perfect for this sort of re-use: built in 1919, brick, hardwood floors, looks to be in solid shape. Not sure about the rest of the structures on the properties. Also not sure if this is slated to be LIHTC or market rate.

I'm glad to see some activity in that area. There are quite a few other under-utilized properties, including some other large old industrial spaces (at least one of which has the Azzar name on it).

I believe I had heard they intended to renovate and use the existing brick building and then continue to develop around it.

There are currently no development plans for this site.  In fact Urban Roots was told that they can continue their operations there next season and are encouraged to continue to engage in the planning process for this area as urban farming most certainly can and should fit in the redevelopment plans for the area in the right location and context.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, lighthousedave said:

There are currently no development plans for this site.  In fact Urban Roots was told that they can continue their operations there next season and are encouraged to continue to engage in the planning process for this area as urban farming most certainly can and should fit in the redevelopment plans for the area in the right location and context.

Thanks for intel Dave!