Leaving The Forum For Awhile

Paramount747

It has come to my attention by a few posters who mis-interpret my postings as negative, that I should take a break and leave the forum for a time. I tried to answer their criticisms in a few posts as professionally as I can, but alas, they still miss my point. I was even accused of being unhappy by someone I have never met. 

As you know, I recently lost my father and my mother is still battling cancer. My wife had a major illness as well. As of a month ago, my sister-n-law had a major stroke and we almost lost her. So with these family issues as well as work related issues, I will resign from the forum for an indefinite amount of time.

I simply will not offer any academic as well as critical assessments of Nashville per the request of some members on the board. As one stated to me "I come to the forum for information, not debate, criticism, or discussion on how the city needs improvement..."

I have been informed by some members that if one does not consistently say how perfect and wonderful Nashville is, one need not contribute. I was told my criticism of the restoration of the Embers/Climax Saloon Building was unwarranted. Again the point was missed that Nashville has traditionally picked and chosen what buildings to save based on what political agenda was at the time, and not what the real issue was. I suggested the UMPH campus had given Nashville a cultural and religious iconic stature because of their mission and their product offerings to the world. All the Embers Building and Climax Saloon gave us was a place of prostitution. I suggested the city ignoring UMHP demolition was misplaced when they decided it was relevant to save the Embers and not UMPH. Again, I was criticized for being negative.

Urbanetics and architectural and cultural debate is not wanted because it is seen as negative. Message received.

I understand. I am looking for a forum where debate is encouraged, criticism is welcomed, and cultural relativism and progressive ideology is embraced.

This is no longer that forum, and I understand.

With that I bid you adieu.

Best, 

John

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John, Sorry that you feel a need to take a break, but I understand. I would offer that, when you return, continue to post what you think or feel and do not take any responses personally.... the board has changed tremendously from '05 and that brings the good with the bad but mostly good. I disagree with 80% of your posts (I am sure your support for my views are similar if not lower) yet I am always informed and entertained by your perspective. Cheers

There have been times I have needed a break. I just back off from posting and I understand completely  John.  Take your time. All of us handle things differently, so please don't criticize someone for a personal decision they feel they have to make. We all have different stresses in our lives and some people handle some things better than others.

9 hours ago, Paramount747 said:

It has come to my attention by a few posters who mis-interpret my postings as negative, that I should take a break and leave the forum for a time. I tried to answer their criticisms in a few posts as professionally as I can, but alas, they still miss my point. I was even accused of being unhappy by someone I have never met. 

As you know, I recently lost my father and my mother is still battling cancer. My wife had a major illness as well. As of a month ago, my sister-n-law had a major stroke and we almost lost her. So with these family issues as well as work related issues, I will resign from the forum for an indefinite amount of time.

I simply will not offer any academic as well as critical assessments of Nashville per the request of some members on the board. As one stated to me "I come to the forum for information, not debate, criticism, or discussion on how the city needs improvement..."

I have been informed by some members that if one does not consistently say how perfect and wonderful Nashville is, one need not contribute. I was told my criticism of the restoration of the Embers/Climax Saloon Building was unwarranted. Again the point was missed that Nashville has traditionally picked and chosen what buildings to save based on what political agenda was at the time, and not what the real issue was. I suggested the UMPH campus had given Nashville a cultural and religious iconic stature because of their mission and their product offerings to the world. All the Embers Building and Climax Saloon gave us was a place of prostitution. I suggested the city ignoring UMHP demolition was misplaced when they decided it was relevant to save the Embers and not UMPH. Again, I was criticized for being negative.

Urbanetics and architectural and cultural debate is not wanted because it is seen as negative. Message received.

I understand. I am looking for a forum where debate is encouraged, criticism is welcomed, and cultural relativism and progressive ideology is embraced.

This is no longer that forum, and I understand.

With that I bid you adieu.

Best, 

John

C'mon, John. It's OK. Don't let a disagreeable experience drive you off again. I agree with you that the UMPH building should've been saved, though so should the Embers. The purpose they served in the past isn't really as important as their architectural value is at present.

Don't stay away now !

Have a good break! Like stated above we all need a break from time to time. I hope when you come back there will be a renewed love for the forum because you are a good member on here. I do think some posts come across as "negative" but I have always had the mindset that it just shows your passion for Nashville. You want it to be the best it can, so it i understandable to see the criticism for some projects. It also just shows who you are. You are not going to sugar coat a project, and are not afraid to speak your mind. A great attribute, but can be difficult for some people to deal with since this is the internet.  

Anyways, I will keep you in my thoughts during your difficult time. Looking forward to your next screen name as well

Archived