DTR Food Court

RALNATIVE

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I saw that in a few places. He's apparently also trying to include non-food local businesses with an eye towards sort of incubating them. Eat. Shop. Not a bad idea, though I have a healthy doubt of the guy who thought a white table cloth restaurant and a night club would work in the same building in Raleigh. I do hope this works though and appreciate the willingness to try and provide what I assume was what his radar indicated locals might be interested in. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Tenkai said:

It would appear that the inclusion of nonfood local businesses has been scrapped. If true, that's a shame. 

I would agree with that decision. There are already plenty of places downtown to buy trinkets and crafts, but few quick eat places. I'm hoping that this food market will fill that niche.

I will concede that we don't need another place for trinkets and small crafts.  The last thing we would need there would be more t-shirts with outlines of the state on them.  I'm sure, though, that with careful curation one could find an array of local people who are producing high quality goods but that can't afford to set up a full shop in the downtown area.  

Having spent way too much time in there when it was Jillians, I had a gut feeling it wasn't big enough to be both things. Luckily the Warehouse District has a strip of Design Box, VAE and 311 (yeah majority art and trinkets) and Raleigh Denim. With the ban on clubs in the Dillion, and Kane steering the rudder, that is poised to be non-food/beverage retail as well. I suppose I am in the camp of "it is what it is"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
17 hours ago, DPK said:

Nice, there will actually be some form of street entrance on Morgan.

Yeah that is key IMO. I always thought Empire should have pre-configured the space to be a better Morgan St presence. If the Dillion north apartments have street level retail and the envisioned Ark Royal hotel has at least one retail space, then the entire block would be an active street presence to some degree....though to be honest, the inward facing nature of this idea still isn't a great truly urban configuration, but I understand the existing building isn't built that way and must be dealt with as-is to a degree. 

• 8 months later...

Huh. Not what I envisioned at all. Might be pretty cool even. Its definitely an answer to Raleigh's very small supply of actual street facing storefronts. The renovations are looking to be full bore right now, looking from the sidewalk...

1 hour ago, InitialD said:

This sounds a lot like 7th Street Public Market in Charlotte, which I hope is true because it's one of my favorite spaces in Charlotte: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.227669,-80.8380537,3a,88.3y,42.55h,97.67t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spItxCCS8jowAAAQvO0GGnw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I am hoping it turns out like eastern market in DC (first thing that comes to my mind that might be similar). 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2017 at 0:07 AM, RALNATIVE said:

and the people who live in that area are as well.

I live at the Hue and am pumped. Just hope the restaurant vendors are affordable (and they should be given the fact you just pick food up from them and they aren't paying for seating space.

16 hours ago, Raleigh said:

I live at the Hue and am pumped. Just hope the restaurant vendors are affordable (and they should be given the fact you just pick food up from them and they aren't paying for seating space.

I live at the Dawson and am thrilled that I can now just run around the corner and have several quick food options. That is priceless for me.

1 hour ago, RALNATIVE said:

I live at the Dawson and am thrilled that I can now just run around the corner and have several quick food options. That is priceless for me.

I live at the Lincoln and even though it's a decent walk I'm pretty excited about it.  I am more excited about Stones Warehouse, obviously. 

39 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I live at the Lincoln and even though it's a decent walk I'm pretty excited about it.  I am more excited about Stones Warehouse, obviously. 

Great project too. Though I drove by Stone's the other day to see how it was progressing, and as I turned off Chavis Way, a couple young guys looked at me and one hooked his left arm in front of him with a straight right arm over it and cocked and fired a pretend pistol. So everyone in the neighborhood may not be thrilled about it. 

Archived