Rhode Island drivers are bad

Recchia

I love to watch these clowns ride down College and Thomas St from Benefit and bottom their cars out at N. Main St because they won't slow down :lol: But I'm not amused at the drivers in this state who don't know enough not to block pedestrian cross walks at stops signs and red lights. Apparently they don't know what the double and triple white lines are for. :blink:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who is the brain trust that decided it was a good idea to load the Gallery Night Art Buses in front of Citizens, on the Steeple Street Bridge, at rush-hour? Traffic was backing up all over the East Side (it didn't help that a brain trust from National Grid decided to work on the lights at Benefit and Waterman at the same time, turning them off). And of course the back-ups were making people drive more assholishly than usual.

Last time I rode the Art Bus they loaded at the back of Citizens, at the circle. Why did they change this?

Having lived in RI for 9 months, I can offer the following observation:

RI drivers slow up the left lane on the highway more than annywhere else I have driven. I dont mind slow drivers, but on the highway get the hell out of the left lane. Drive slow in the right lane if you want to, not the left.

I commute to MA for work and once I cross into MA, it is always the RI drivers that are backing up the left lane. Annoys the hell out of me.

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllelulah

worst in the country by far

at first i thought all RI drivers were "oblivious" to their surroundings while driving

now i think that they dont care, and they want to control their lil space in the world by driving however they like

its actually a law to not drive in the left "passing lane" for more than like a mile

get the F out of the way and drive 45 mph in the 1st lane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

atleast mass drivers are agressive enough so that if they bothered you, wait a minute and they will have taken off....

• 1 month later...

anyone read the valley breeze in north providence? they have it in my laundromat that i go to (it's about 2 miles from me, but so much nicer than anything nearby).

anyways, there was a column by a comedian, frank o'donnel i think. he talks about rude drivers. unfortunately, you have to pay to read their stories online (the paper is free though). he mentions how he thinks there's some device in the town line that makes drivers inconsiderate when they enter north providence. how no one would consider giving up their right of way to allow someone else to make a turn. he mentions the lack of turn signal use. but he also mentions some bad parts of mineral spring... which i found hilarious.

the worst section, he said, is between 146 and charles st, where there's "47 stop lights, 25 of which are in front of stop and shop".

he also mentioned bad intersections like smithfield rd and mineral spring, by the getty station how every direction gets a left turn signal except going east on mineral spring and south on smithfield rd as if people never turn left from those spots.

while definitely with comedic value, he hit a lot of issues right on the head... some of the problems aren't the drivers, but the traffic patterns and infrastructure (like those lights or the 25 lights in front of stop and shop, i think there's actually only 3 or 4 in front of stop and shop there).

it was worth a read and will brighten anyone's day... especially if you drive aruond there.

the worst section, he said, is between 146 and charles st, where there's "47 stop lights, 25 of which are in front of stop and shop".

he also mentioned bad intersections like smithfield rd and mineral spring, by the getty station how every direction gets a left turn signal except going east on mineral spring and south on smithfield rd as if people never turn left from those spots.

Haha, I never understood the light situation in front of Stop and Shop. I guess we can count our blessings that the 146 North onramp isn't on Mineral Spring.

What's worse than that intersection at Smithfield and Mineral is that stupid parking lot right on the corner for One Stop Liquors. Always a horrorshow getting in and out.

http://www.providenceri.com/press/article.php?id=143

didn't know where else to post thiiiss

interesting quote... i think this is wrong.

The second phase, which is scheduled to begin within the next couple of weeks, will include work on Hawkins Street (from Branch Avenue to the North Providence line),

last i checked, hawkins st is entirely in providence... unless it's supposed to be branch ave from hawkins to the north providence line. i wish they would do branch ave from silver spring to hawkins and then do all of hawkins. i take that intersection a lot and it's in terrible shape. and branch ave is awful going north on it after getting off 95 south.

MEMO to RI License Plate People...

Get out of the high speed lane!

its to the point now where you people can clog up all of eastern massachusetts major highways and im not even joking. my friends and i point out every time a RI driver stays consistently in the high speed lane without passing and moving over causing a moving "pile" of cars all going their slow speed. when we finally catch up to pass we always see a RI plate. we lost count. it was ridiculous to the point where there should be a whole other traffic ticket category for you RIplaters. oh wait, thats already a rule... YOURE NOT SUPPOSED TO DRIVE IN THE HIGH SPEED LANE! YOU ARE TO ONLY PASS in the PASSING LANE. DRIVING IN IT FOR MORE THAN A MILE IS A TRAFFIC OFFENSE..... figure it out

and dont even get me started with the RIplaters who are out on the roads on sundays... completely baffles me

so you're one of them?!?!?!?! oh thank god i found you... muhahahahah its goin down! lol

i do no more than 75 on the highway and tend to drive in the center or left lane on 95 between providence and boston (i stay closer to the right south of providence because it's worse). if i'm passing cars and someone wants to pass me, i let them wait. if there's a large enough gap where i can move over safely and then generally move back to the left, i'll let them by. if there's no many cars on the road, i stay in the center lane to let the wacko's fly by on the left and so i don't get stuck at on and off ramps.

You can drive down 95 and there will be 3 lanes of people all traveling the same speed, then occasionally, a fast high speed lane. But then sometimes its four people, all going the same speed, in four lanes. Aggravating, thank God I'm almost never on a highway.

Here's the one I don't get.

I was late leaving for work this morning because I was at Fenway last night and instead of coming straight home I went out first. So of course most of this is my own fault.

OK, so I end up having to travel during rush hour. In September, on E-W highways, there is significant solar glare during rush hour. But here's the deal, it's been this way FOREVER (ok, technically, not forever, but human history is much smaller than the last time the earth changed it's axis significantly), so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. So you would think that these people would have sunglasses...but no, I see tons of people hitting their brakes every two seconds using one hand to shield their eyes. And don't even let me get into the people who spend more time adjusting their sun visor than actually driving. If you can't adjust the visor in 3.5 seconds your motor skills are likely insufficient for driving a car in the first place.

grr...

I've noticed from my own experience that RI drivers are slower on the highway than drivers elsewhere. In most of the country, traffic regularly travels at 75-80 mph or more, regardless of the speed limit. In RI, on the other hand, very few drivers seem to do much more than 65, even when that is the speed limit. I've always wondered why that is.

I've noticed from my own experience that RI drivers are slower on the highway than drivers elsewhere. In most of the country, traffic regularly travels at 75-80 mph or more, regardless of the speed limit. In RI, on the other hand, very few drivers seem to do much more than 65, even when that is the speed limit. I've always wondered why that is.

this is very true... which is why i always wondered why people consider RI a dangerous place to drive. i generally more fear the drivers who do about 80 weaving in and out of cars.

this is very true... which is why i always wondered why people consider RI a dangerous place to drive.

Because Rhode Islanders actually drive 65 everywhere, the left lane of the highway, city streets, country roads, parking lots, their driveways...

RI drivers, after much observation, are like this...

OBLIVIOUS, b/c they dont realize there is a whole world taking place around them

or

complete jerk$; b/c they know someone is behind them trying to go fast and pass, but they wont let them by driving 63 just like the other 2 cars parallel to them, and dammit they arent moving for anyone... i.e. I own the road...

i feel both ways on different days

• 2 weeks later...

ok, this might be somewhat heartless, but i have to say that funeral processions really annoy me, but this one takes the cake

i'm at a red light and there's a funeral procession driving down the cross street. it's a long one... but they somehow get through it almost completely. a couple cars cut it close, and there's a non-procession car in between a couple others. the light turns red for them. he stops. the people behind in who are part of the funeral procession then lay on their horn like he's not supposed to stop a red light and then swerve out around him, driving in the other lane of traffic, almost hitting me as i tried to drive across the intersection.

i'm sorry, but funeral processions are not given special permission to violate traffic laws, including red lights and stop signs.

Archived