Rhode Island drivers are bad

Recchia

i'm sorry, but funeral processions are not given special permission to violate traffic laws, including red lights and stop signs.

Actually, I believe they are. If not in RI, they are in MA. It is my understanding that in MA it is unlawful to cut in to a funeral procession, and funeral processions can run red lights.

Does anyone know if this is the case in RI? I just assume it is.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, I believe they are. If not in RI, they are in MA. It is my understanding that in MA it is unlawful to cut in to a funeral procession, and funeral processions can run red lights.

i've read the laws about it. they're not allowed to run them. the general rule is that common courtesy should be given to them, meaning you should let them pass and not cut into them. they are generally given leniency by the police and allowed to run the red lights, but they're not immune to traffic laws. and there's no law that states that people cannot cut into them. it happens, they drive on streets. other people have places to go as well. at the very least, when approaching a red light, they're require to stop to make sure no traffic is coming before proceeding, much like emergency vehicles do. but the law only allows for emergency vehicles to run red lights and stop signs.

From the Rhode Island General Laws:

ok, i can't find where i read that funeral processions are not allowed to run red lights or stop signs...

after reading the law about cutting into funeral processions, at least one of the vehicles that swerved around the guy who stopped at the light did not have any lights on or flashers on or anything saying he was in the procession, leading me to believe that it was perfectly legit to end up in front of him.

regardless of who was at fault, i believe it is illegal for them to drive in the left side of the road to run a red light because someone not in the procession stopped at it.

ok, i can't find where i read that funeral processions are not allowed to run red lights or stop signs...

after reading the law about cutting into funeral processions, at least one of the vehicles that swerved around the guy who stopped at the light did not have any lights on or flashers on or anything saying he was in the procession, leading me to believe that it was perfectly legit to end up in front of him.

regardless of who was at fault, i believe it is illegal for them to drive in the left side of the road to run a red light because someone not in the procession stopped at it.

Meh, I doubt a cop would ever pull over a vehicle participating in a funeral procession, law or no law. Most people at funerals are from out of town and often don't even know where the procession is headed, they just follow the leader. It's unreasonable to expect the whole train to stop because the tail got stuck at a red light. I think it was perfectly acceptable for cars to go around the a-hole who jumped into the line.

Meh, I doubt a cop would ever pull over a vehicle participating in a funeral procession, law or no law. Most people at funerals are from out of town and often don't even know where the procession is headed, they just follow the leader. It's unreasonable to expect the whole train to stop because the tail got stuck at a red light. I think it was perfectly acceptable for cars to go around the a-hole who jumped into the line.

well, like i said, the ones that went around the guy who "jumped into the line" didn't have their lights on or anything that identified them as part of the procession. so it was perfectly reasonable to assume they were not part of it.

well, like i said, the ones that went around the guy who "jumped into the line" didn't have their lights on or anything that identified them as part of the procession. so it was perfectly reasonable to assume they were not part of it.

Ah, well if none of the cars had any sort of marking saying they were in the procession then I can understand someone slipping in between on accident. A few funeral processions I witnessed in Worcester has cops already situated at major intersections to stop traffic and let the train through. Worked really well but obviously not very practicle to expect it for every funeral. Maybe it's a service the funeral home could provide privately though.

Ah, well if none of the cars had any sort of marking saying they were in the procession then I can understand someone slipping in between on accident. A few funeral processions I witnessed in Worcester has cops already situated at major intersections to stop traffic and let the train through. Worked really well but obviously not very practicle to expect it for every funeral. Maybe it's a service the funeral home could provide privately though.

depending on the expected size of the funeral, many do hire cops to do that. it would be something the funeral home would have to request and pay for. i've seen that as well and those seem to work best.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been meaning to post comments concerning those new LED moving image roadside billboards when Ch 12 did a story on them tonight. It seems that there is a danger of drivers paying too much sttention to them and not enough towards their driving. The one visable from Rt 195W ( the board is actually on the east bound side ) is pretty kewl at night. And yes, it makes me stare at it instead of watching the road. The DOT states that they have been receiving complaints about them.

I've been meaning to post comments concerning those new LED moving image roadside billboards when Ch 12 did a story on them tonight. It seems that there is a danger of drivers paying too much sttention to them and not enough towards their driving. The one visable from Rt 195W ( the board is actually on the east bound side ) is pretty kewl at night. And yes, it makes me stare at it instead of watching the road. The DOT states that they have been receiving complaints about them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am going to give up driving for the month of December from now on.

P.S. If I go by ONE more Dunkin Donuts where the drive thru lane is backed up into traffic I will personally explode each and every car in the drive thru line. I don't understand people's logic waiting in that massive slow moving line, GO INSIDE!

• 5 months later...

Archived