SAVE THE SULLIVAN TOWER

smeagolsfree

36 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I wanted to let you all know I spoke to someone yesterday that has a pretty good idea about the Lifeway redevelopment and he said that plans are for the Sullivan Tower to come down.

It is time to head this off before it happens and Make Some Noise to Save this building.

We cant afford to lose another art deco building and for that matter one of the first tall buildings downtown.

Time to rattle the Historic Nashville cages?

This is distressing. It is one of the few elements of the whole complex that I think is worth saving/integrating into a new plan. The other is the Frost Building.

For those who might not be familiar with these grand structures, here are a few pics:

Sullivan Tower (1953):

Sullivan Tower Lifeway Campus, Aug.jpg

The existing Lifeway Campus With Sullivan Tower and Frost Building in lower left portion:

LifeWay exisiting site.jpg

Frost Building (1913):

Frost Building Lifeway.jpg

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, if any one would have had any "411" on that tower, then it would have been NoChesterHester, who made several references and hints to the campus as a hold, as well as having given his opinion that the interior of the tower was far less than glamorous, as it might appear from the street ─ that "... inside the Sullivan tower it is a miserable building..", in the thread he started last March as "LifeWay Campus Sale and Redevelopment"

On 3/26/2015 at 8:19 PM, NoChesterHester said:

Frost Building is a great building. If you have ever been inside the Sullivan tower it is a miserable building. It is also built like a fortress at a time when cities were more about internalism than connection. I don't find the exterior horrible, but it isn't as majestic as some one here make it out to be.

I like it. Uptown isn't a real moniker anyway. It could be perceived as up Broadway since it is up the hill. It could be perceived as a higher class district than the beer hall Honky Tonk character.

I'm not construing the quote to imply that the building would have been slated to come down, even though at present, the controlling interest has changed since then.  I just never at once held any sustainable confidence that the structure would remain, particularly since I curiously have suspected the unspoken probability of foreboding ill-fate of that building, particularly with posts within that topic indicating that the Cross Building itself likely would remain (and from which I inferred to suggest that other structures likely would be totally transformed or leveled).  Just saying....  That's the reason I drove around it several times last fall and "kissed it goodbye".

I have heard (long before now) that the Sullivan building is not in good shape. But that doesn't mean it's not salvageable. Wait for the structural engineers to make a professional determination first

Ironically, I had heard the Frost building is still a keeper

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

^^  Agree.      btw, the Billy Graham statue on the grassy knoll across the street was recently removed.    Wondering if Billy will resurface at the new Lifeway headquarters.   Not that I have any particular fondness for that statue, just found it curious that it was removed.  

Photo (and blurryface) courtesy of Google.   Preaching to the fire hydrant. 

Billy_Graham.png

Edited by CenterHill
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think this one will wait till the next round.

We have a number of multi acre projects being worked on or in the pipeline.

One City

Capitol View

Rolling Mill Hill project

Lifeway

Demonbreun Hill / old Elmington capital group land with several multi story buildings.

East bank project roughly 105 acres

Not to mention the two tower project on second and who ever buys the Tennessean site

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...