Will Nashville ever see another amusement park?

VSRJ

1 hour ago, VSRJ said:

I just can't imagine why the resort wouldn't move forward with something like this. It connects the resort with the mall and offers entertainment (and revenue possibilities) between the two.

It takes out part of their floodwall and their events center. How are we going to see Disney on Ice then, dude?

Since the Minnie Pearl building is gone now they do need to look at something like this to link up the resort, Opry House, and the mall, as well as clean up the back-of-house for the convention center. That whole area right now is a dead zone.

I know I've posted this video on here before in a previous Opryland discussion, but it seems like a good time to post it again.  Here is a P.O.V. video from Chaos's twin brother called Revolution at a park called Bobbejaanland in Belgium.  It is exactly like it, built by the same company, the only two like it in the world...and Revolution is still in operation.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bigeasy said:

Hmmm, I didn't know they were just sitting in a field. So we could technically open up a new park and have some of the older rides come back?? That would be awesome!

They're long gone now, unfortunately...

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, wreynol4 said:

I would expand this question to : "Will Nashville ever have a new amusement park, new Nascar track/race, PGA golf event?".  I am shocked for such a trendy city we have basically non of these.

I wonder if it's because we are a trendy City, that we don't have those.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

One of the big problems facing Opryland was referenced in the article-it needed 4000 seasonal employees every year. In the labor market of the last two decades, where would they have found those employees? This was a struggle at the park in the early 90s when I still worked there. Lots of days office staff had to go out into the park to cover the rides, games, F&B outlets, and shops, etc. due to labor shortages. In the early years everybody wanted to work at the park-by 1990 almost nobody wanted to work there! (I’m speaking of seasonal staffing with this comment.)

2 hours ago, wreynol4 said:

I would expand this question to : "Will Nashville ever have a new amusement park, new Nascar track/race, PGA golf event?".  I am shocked for such a trendy city we have basically non of these.

Amusement Park.... Maybe one day.. It will take someone with a lot of money and expertise.

NASCAR ...No, we did it and was not a success.. The population of the area seems to be changing and this group does not watch NASCAR

PGA.. Probably and sooner rather than later... Might already be in the works, but I don't golf, never have, never will, Sorry golfers.. Golf courses are a waste or real estate and water.

I will catch flak for that comment, but I hate the sport almost as much as I do NASCAR. :tw_fearful:

• Like 2

Depends where and what you did in the park I suppose. From 89 thru 92 we never had any shortage of seasonal staffing to my knowledge.  Don't recall any red tags working with us or office folks. I worked in Food & Beverage in 89 then moved to Merchandise-Games from 90 to 92.  Had lots of fun and good memories working out there. Doo-Wah Diddy City and State Fair game areas.

In August of 89 I nearly witnessed people getting flattened by the train where the Chaos entrance & GRR observation area was. The park was so crowded that day the old top who had to operate the train gate couldn't get to the switch in time. People kept walking in front of an oncoming train, bell ringing and whistle blowing, didn't matter. They finally stopped walking when it got close and the train skidded through the cross walk with the brakes fully applied. Luckily nobody was hurt but people can be really dumb. And this was way before cell phones being distractions.

• Like 4

I really doubt a new amusement park will open up, but I could see a place like Nashville Shores gradually expand to become a dual water park and amusement park at some point. They could conceivably partner up with someone to provide funding for a new roller coaster every other year (with smaller rides on opposite years) for 10 years so that by by 2030 it is a full functioning amusement park.  That seems more likely than an entity buying 250 acres of land, building a half dozen rides and another half dozen shows along with all of the amusement park infrastructure within two years. 

NASCAR seems to be dying a slow death nation-wide while golf is dying a slower death.  There are PGA events all over the place that get very little in the way of attention or attendance. 

Edited by Hey_Hey
  • Like 1

^^Not a bad idea.  Do they have enough land at Nashville Shores for that to happen? (I haven't been there in so long that I can't remember how large that land is).

As for NASCAR...they made a huge mistake of trying to expand into non-traditional markets while ignoring southern markets where the hard-core fans resided...and trying to sanitize the sport and make it more palatable to the masses.  In the end, it's just a shell of its former southern outlaw persona that attracted such loyal followers.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, titanhog said:

^^Not a bad idea.  Do they have enough land at Nashville Shores for that to happen? (I haven't been there in so long that I can't remember how large that land is).

As for NASCAR...they made a huge mistake of trying to expand into non-traditional markets while ignoring southern markets where the hard-core fans resided...and trying to sanitize the sport and make it more palatable to the masses.  In the end, it's just a shell of its former southern outlaw persona that attracted such loyal followers.

There’s also the issue, as Kevin Harvick recently pointed out, that the sport’s most popular racer sucks and is only popular because his father was a true giant of racing. It would be like if the most popular football team in 75% of America was the Titans, with the team’s current  game day attendance and television ratings being spread to nationwide. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

There’s also the issue, as Kevin Harvick recently pointed out, that the sport’s most popular racer sucks and is only popular because his father was a true giant of racing. It would be like if the most popular football team in 75% of America was the Titans, with the team’s current  game day attendance and television ratings being spread to nationwide. 

And now he's retired from racing!  What are they going to do?! :rofl:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, titanhog said:

And now he's retired from racing!  What are they going to do?! :rofl:

I guess fans will have to bite the bullet and pick another racer based on actual talent and success, instead of their favorite racer’s DNA matching their previous favorite racer’s DNA ;) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

Nashville Shores leases land from the Corps of Engineers. Seems I recall them expressing interest in additional property to persue added attractions (perhaps amusement rides) and the Corps said no!

• Sad 2