gman430

Greenville County Square redevelopment

Recommended Posts


I wish someone would do a tribute site to Bell Tower Mall before it's demolished.  For some reason, I miss that mall (and shouldn't--there was nothing special about it other than being a landmark for those of us who lived in Greenville in the '70s).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

Target enters the urban market to boost lagging sales

Target would be a great component of any of the plans for County Square.  OR Camperdown for that matter.   

I agree - Always thought the old BILO on Main was a good spot for this as well. Would definitely filled the grocery store void while offering other necessities.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Target enters the urban market to boost lagging sales

Target would be a great component of any of the plans for County Square.  OR Camperdown for that matter.   

Couldn't disagree more. A big box would be way too low density and suburban for either IMO, even an " urban" one. Leave those out in the burbs and have some quality, high density stuff on those sites. I think it would be a terrible waste of an opportunity.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Couldn't disagree more. A big box would be way too low density and suburban for either IMO, even an " urban" one. Leave those out in the burbs and have some quality, high density stuff on those sites. I think it would be a terrible waste of an opportunity.

Give me one reason why a Target wouldn't be a good fit for the spaces available in this flyer:

Camperdown Leasing

By combining spaces it could take the approx. 28k space that was going to be the theater but is now available.

As far as County Square goes ANYTHING is possible. including a 150k SF store with 10 floors of offices or apartments/condos on top. There are plenty of dense mixed use projects with target or Publix or something similar included.    

We should expect that urban residents have to 'do without' on shopping for basics.  

The Staples at McBee Station would be another option for Target also.   

      

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well perhaps I just haven't ever really been to an "Urban" development like that, but big boxes that I am familiar with would be an awful waste of space. One story sprawled out store with tons of surface parking - basically like the "urban" Publix at McBee. I suppose if it was a small footprint store that could go at the bottom of something that has a parking garage attached or included could work. As long as it is dense and urban I would be ok, we only have one chance to see these sites get built in our lifetimes, and another McBee Station on these would be very shortsighted in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Well perhaps I just haven't ever really been to an "Urban" development like that, but big boxes that I am familiar with would be an awful waste of space. One story sprawled out store with tons of surface parking - basically like the "urban" Publix at McBee. I suppose if it was a small footprint store that could go at the bottom of something that has a parking garage attached or included could work. As long as it is dense and urban I would be ok, we only have one chance to see these sites get built in our lifetimes, and another McBee Station on these would be very shortsighted in my opinion. 

It most certainly wouldn't be your traditional big box. The County wants the most money for the land and the City wouldn't allow something suburban on that land. 

Here is a great example:

7366685154_82705c4876.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/8/2017 at 1:47 PM, distortedlogic said:

Well perhaps I just haven't ever really been to an "Urban" development like that, but big boxes that I am familiar with would be an awful waste of space. One story sprawled out store with tons of surface parking - basically like the "urban" Publix at McBee. I suppose if it was a small footprint store that could go at the bottom of something that has a parking garage attached or included could work. As long as it is dense and urban I would be ok, we only have one chance to see these sites get built in our lifetimes, and another McBee Station on these would be very shortsighted in my opinion. 

There are plenty of Targets in "urban" developments, with zero surface parking (or zero parking at all) and Targets up to the sidewalk. 

Separately, interesting article about Bell Tower Mall/County Square, with the comment by the original principal's daughter (in the comments section) even more interesting than the article itself.  http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/greenville-roots/2017/03/25/bell-tower-malls-failure-leads-county-square/99569270/

Based on the comment, maybe the redevelopment could have replicas of some of the Furman campus buildings?  My parents said that the old Furman campus wasn't that attractive, though.

Edited by PuppiesandKittens
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's nice to hear that they should have a number of options to weigh! Hopefully a very solid proposal will be chosen and executed well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are some BIG companies. Nice to see our city getting this attention from a development standpoint. 

Edited by gman430

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see affordable housing working on this site either due to the sheer cost of purchasing the site and the developer needing profitability from that: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2017/06/03/county-square-redevelopment-proposal-would-offer-affordable-housing/366024001/

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.