Greenville County Square redevelopment

gman430

20 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

It's surprising that a plan to move the state offices wasn't worked out a long time ago.

If government offices are moving, they should move to a "blue" part of Greenville, since that's where their employees and customers would more likely be anyway.

I had to get one of my required immunizations for Clemson at the Health Clinic since my doctor did not offer it.

My family is neither blue nor poor, so do not always judge a book by its cover.

53 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

It's surprising that a plan to move the state offices wasn't worked out a long time ago.

If government offices are moving, they should move to a "blue" part of Greenville, since that's where their employees and customers would more likely be anyway.

Wow. How judgemental is that comment? 

27 minutes ago, gman said:

Wow. How judgemental is that comment? 

Not judgmental at all.  It simply recognizes that government employees are "bluer" than average, and people who live in "blue" areas, perhaps motivated by appreciation for government, are more likely to interface with government.  People in "red" areas are more likely to deal with the private sector.

11 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Not judgmental at all.  It simply recognizes that government employees are "bluer" than average, and people who live in "blue" areas, perhaps motivated by appreciation for government, are more likely to interface with government.  People in "red" areas are more likely to deal with the private sector.

Good gosh. You are making my point. 

46 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

I voted for Hillary Clinton for President, so if you re-read my post with that background, perhaps you’ll view it as it is intended.  

Voting for an elitist proves my point too.  By the way, before you make a post that is wrong, I voted for Evan McMullin. Maybe we should move on back to the topic, which is the redevelopment of County Square. 

Edited by gman

16 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

There aren't too many things that you do with County government, that you can also do in the private sector.

1. Attend a County Council meeting 
  2. Register to vote or vote absentee
  3. Request or process a building permit
  4. Get an Immunization for International Travel
  5. Pay property taxes

28 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

There aren't too many things that you do with County government, that you can also do in the private sector.

1. Attend a County Council meeting 
  2. Register to vote or vote absentee
  3. Request or process a building permit
  4. Get an Immunization for International Travel
  5. Pay property taxes

I was speaking of state offices.  Both their workers and users lean “blue”.  It makes no sense in my view to put offices in a “red” area when they are disproportionately frequented by “blue” persons and that “red” area is far away from where those persons live.  

1 minute ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

I was speaking of state offices.  Both their workers and users lean “blue”.  It makes no sense in my view to put offices in a “red” area when they are disproportionately frequented by “blue” persons and that “red” area is far away from where those persons live.  

It is the same  principal. You go to the DMV or DHEC because those functions are provided by government, not the private sector. I don't discern a difference in the need for those services based on political leanings. 

5 hours ago, gman said:

Voting for an elitist proves my point too.  By the way, before you make a post that is wrong, I voted for Evan McMullin. Maybe we should move on back to the topic, which is the redevelopment of County Square. 

:offtopic: of the :offtopic:

You might want to revisit Evan McMullin's resume if your objective isn't to vote for an elitist. There's a reason he was endorsed by Bill Kristol, and it wasn't because he's the common man.

Edited by Exile

46 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

It is the same  principal. You go to the DMV or DHEC because those functions are provided by government, not the private sector. I don't discern a difference in the need for those services based on political leanings. 

As per the Greenville News, the state offices that are being moved are "agencies such as family court and the departments of health, social services and probation ". 

In the aggregate, those are generally "bluer" than "redder", and that is an objective fact that can be shown via an analysis of voting records and residential information. 

Businesses locate where their employees and customers are.  I'm unclear as to why the government shouldn't do the same thing.

Edited by PuppiesandKittens

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the Judson Mill developers would be open to the State offices going there?  They have the space and it would be quicker than  new construction .   They woud have to be annexed. I would expect paying a stpend to the necessary (for contiguity) owners could fix that though.  

9 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

I kind of wish that someone would do a quick tribute to Bell Tower Mall before the building is gone; maybe a website or something.  For those of us who lived in Greenville in the 1970s, in pre-Haywood Mall days, it was a regular destination.

R.I.P. Bell Tower Mall...was that quick enough?  :tw_tounge_wink:

1 hour ago, GVLover said:

STOP CALLING IT A TOWER!:P

Really wish we were looking a different site plan, still think the renderings look way to bland (other than county building itself which is ok),  not much density, height, or creativity. Where's the character? This is the premier site in all the upstate.