Greenville County Square redevelopment

gman430

1 hour ago, GvilleSC said:

Granted, this is all just visions and marketing material at this point. But, there should be folks on here who are happy with the height shown in these renderings. I sure hope the council doesn't destroy this opportunity. 

Yes, these are purely conceptual renderings, with the exception being the county government offices, which are noticeably different than the earlier renderings.  I prefer the roof design shown in these newer renderings, and it appears as though they're considering a redesigned main public plaza area as well, assuming these renderings are fairly accurate representations.

43 minutes ago, johnpro318 said:

It looks awesome right? Like a new district of Greenville. Modern and looking forward. Should contrast nicely with the older buildings and brick in the west end. 

Yes. I hope they go with this. I know one of the people on county council personally, but he thinks differently and is one of the ones that don't want this to happen. We haven't talked lately.

24 minutes ago, gman said:

I continue to stay positive. It will pass. 

You and I are in the minority my friend. I’ve said I believe it will pass, but the convention center/museum won’t happen (albeit, Greenville Co. portion of the cost [$26 million] could be funded with less than two years of County Square being fully realized). I do hope RocaPoint is firm on requiring the County to move into the Foster + Partner Building.

55 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

To be clear: the passing of tonight's vote derails the Rocapoint project, correct? So, anyone in favor of the beautiful renderings we've seen, need to be pulling against tonight's vote. 

Well, sort of. The vote tonight simply states that the county wants to restart the project in a different form with county and state offices relocating off site. RocaPoint could always ratify the contract to include this if tonight’s vote passes and if they support the new plan. However, if the vote passes and they don’t ratify the contract due to not supporting the new plan then it pretty much kills the project. I haven’t heard their opinion on this. 

Edited by gman430

It is my understanding that earlier before tonight's meeting they already voted. County Council voted 8-4 against the motion to break the development contract and halt the redevelopment of county square. They also voted 6-6 against the idea of including the relocation of the county office building off the site as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GVLprogrowth said:

It is my understanding that earlier before tonight's meeting they already voted. County Council voted 8-4 against the motion to break the development contract and halt the redevelopment of county square. They also voted 6-6 against the idea of including the relocation of the county office building off the site as well.

Oh wow. They must have voted at 4pm then. That’s usually when the Committee meets anyways. Excellent it was 8-4 if this is true. 

Edited by gman430

4 minutes ago, GVLprogrowth said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wspa.com/amp/news/greenville-cocouncil-votes-on-county-square-plan/2017099783

Phil Mays, Principle at RocaPoint

“We are pleased with the outcome of tonight’s vote. From the beginning, we’ve been steadfast in our commitment to Greenville and this project, and the council understands the value the County Square redevelopment is bringing to the community. Each facet of the development is purposeful and will infuse Greenville with increased economic development, while also creating new touchstones of the district – including gathering spaces, walkability and creativity. Now, we’re looking forward to moving along with the development, working closely with the Council and creating new jobs and revenue for Greenville.”

Edited by GVLover
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, GVLover said:

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: 

“Greenville County Council will move forward as originally planned with redeveloping County Square after two proposals failed in a committee meeting Tuesday. “

And it being an 8-4 vote on canceling the project speaks volumes. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, gman430 said:

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: 

“Greenville County Council will move forward as originally planned with redeveloping County Square after two proposals failed in a committee meeting Tuesday. “

A great day for Greenville and Greenville County. I look forward to seeing County Square redeveloped and the benefits it provides to the people of Greenville County. Now, let’s us all take the time to imagine the skyline with all those tasty cranes! :alc: After all the anxiety must of us faced these past few weeks, it’s well-deserved. Haha

• Like 3

He says some council members are acting as obstructionists for personal reasons. 

If this is accurate, it confirms my suspecians. 

As of Tuesday, May 21, during a meeting, four council members voted in favor of nixing the project and eight opposed it. Therefore, the motion was defeated and the current plan stands for now. However, a final decision will be made about the project at a later date once a budget is finalized.

I thought the final decision was made last year. With an 8-4 vote, it should still be ok.  We are back to square one on the state offices though. I hope the Halton plan  eventually works out. 

Just now, gman430 said:

Was just about to post this, I found this interesting:

At full build-out in about a decade, the land could generate around $23.5 million in taxes for the city of Greenville, the county and the school district, according to estimates prepared by the project's developer. Of that $23.5 million at full build-out, the county would collect just under $4.2 million annually — $41.8 million over 10 years.

“A master plan that RocaPoint presented to residents of the nearby Haynie-Sirrine neighborhood last week revealed a mix of buildings ranging from six to 20 stories as well as big-box spaces that could be filled by a grocery store, a fitness studio or a multiplex move theater.”

20 stories? Yes please.

Edited by gman430