Greenville County Square redevelopment

gman430

Do we know the other council member besides Mr. Fant that flipped their vote?

I also am not encouraged that people who can't follow the tax code are leading our county...

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2019/05/20/greenville-sc-councilman-billed-55000-anderson-hartwell-lake-house-back-taxes/3681403002/

Edited by Joey_Blackdogg

9 hours ago, gman430 said:

“A master plan that RocaPoint presented to residents of the nearby Haynie-Sirrine neighborhood last week revealed a mix of buildings ranging from six to 20 stories as well as big-box spaces that could be filled by a grocery store, a fitness studio or a multiplex move theater.”

20 stories? Yes please.

The Greenville Journal article says the project has a max building height of 10 stories. Perhaps they're using old information? 

7 minutes ago, Den2Gvl said:

The Greenville Journal article says the project has a max building height of 10 stories. Perhaps they're using old information? 

They are using old, outdated information. At the community meeting last week, it was stated by the developer that they are going to try and get the city to change the zoning on site so buildings up to twenty stories will be allowed instead of just the current six. 

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

Wow. That was a lot more than I was expecting. 

As a comparison, that's a bit larger than what's left of McAlister Square, and certainly a lot bigger than BTM.

It would be interesting to know what the gross SF is for all of Main St. plus its connected side streets. If this development is connected well to the rest of DT, then in essence Greenville will have an immense outdoor mall, with even bigger connected parks.

The articles say that 10 acres will be for roads.  OK, but isn't that a lot taken up for roads?

I would guess that 450,000 square feet of retail on the County Square site would mean at least one large-format retailer, but unless names are announced, it's just a pie-in-the-sky hope.

Based on the photos, this looks like a "suburban lifestyle center or office park dropped near downtown".   I hope that there will be small, grid-like streets that encourage walking, and walking from the West End, but not the 4-lane roads in the photos, which would encourage driving.

A Colliers real estate report from 2018 gives the following totals for total square feet, vacancy rates and asking rents (which seems like a really high amount of footage for downtown):

URBAN RETAIL

Downtown Greenville 786,858 8.62% $24.49

West End 622,691 13.97% $20.06

Augusta Street 398,788 9.25% $30.09

Stone Avenue 184,219 10.34% -

Village of West Greenville 210,023 17.05% $17.20

Urban Retail Total 2,202,579

The report separately lists the following downtown shopping center space:

DOWNTOWN GREENVILLE
Non Core 169,726 11.08% - - 15,000 $10.00 3,814 $7.87
Downtown Total 169,726 11.08% - - 15,000 $10.00 3,814 $7.87

I don't know what that part is talking about: surely not McBee Station, at $7.87 asking rents, right?

Edited by PuppiesandKittens

1 hour ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

The articles say that 10 acres will be for roads.  OK, but isn't that a lot taken up for roads?

With the rerouting of U. Ridge, I would think that a good portion of that 10 acres would be tradeoff; i.e., not nearly as large a loss of developable land.

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, gman430 said:

It's nice to actually lay eyes on their in-process site plan.  Several 10-12 story office buildings are envisioned, along with a wide variety of uses. The thing I like the most is that they're planning to have 10 story office building that would be aligned with the center line of Main Street. I had contemplated them doing something like this, and I'm glad they're at least planning to make that visual connection a reality. 

I think they're being quite wise in re-orienting University Ridge down to the traffic circle. That is their best chance to make a strong connect to the West End and the existing pedestrian fabric. This has tremendous potential to really expand the walkable footprint of downtown. 

My biggest reservation is with the intersection at Church Street. It seems so unfriendly to pedestrians (just like it currently is). I'm not convinced that we need those two turn lanes to remain. I'm sure traffic engineers would disagree. 

Edited by GvilleSC

8 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

It's nice to actually lay eyes on their in-process site plan.  Several 10-12 story office buildings are envisioned, along with a wide variety of uses. The thing I like the most is that they're planning to have 10 story office building that would be aligned with the center line of Main Street. I had contemplated them doing something like this, and I'm glad they're at least planning to make that visual connection a reality. 

I think they're being quite wise in re-orienting University Ridge down to the traffic circle. That is their best chance to make a strong connect to the West End and the existing pedestrian fabric. This has tremendous potential to really expand the walkable footprint of downtown. 

My biggest reservation is with the intersection at Church Street. It seems so unfriendly to pedestrians (just like it currently is). I'm not convinced that we need those two turn lanes to remain. I'm sure traffic engineers would disagree. 

A lot to like here and some pretty good looking buildings to boot. Is this just conceptual or is this what is actually planned? 

You mentioned 10-12 story buildings but on page 35 there is a series of glass buildings of about 18 stories and on page 51 it looks like the purple building is about 20.  I doubt that is accurate, but I do wish they could work in a new city tallest in the middle of this site; it just seems too good of an opportunity within this city changing development (on a hill with great views)  not to go ahead and build something signature here. We've had lots of 8-12 story buildings over the past few years, and more is great, but let's get that classy signature building to eclipse the landmark, or even the capitol center. Let's no miss this opportunity!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

A lot to like here and some pretty good looking buildings to boot. Is this just conceptual or is this what is actually planned? 

You mentioned 10-12 story buildings but on page 35 there is a series of glass buildings of about 18 stories and on page 51 it looks like the purple building is about 20.  I doubt that is accurate, but I do wish they could work in a new city tallest in the middle of this site; it just seems too good of an opportunity within this city changing development (on a hill with great views)  not to go ahead and build something signature here. We've had lots of 8-12 story buildings over the past few years, and more is great, but let's get that classy signature building to eclipse the landmark, or even the capitol center. Let's no miss this opportunity!

I think it's great if they're  contemplating perhaps a new tallest, and hopefully that'll be the right bait to catch that signature, new-to-Greenville tenant and make that building a reality.

OTOH, it would be nice if the city's tallest buildings were not so widely distributed, but I suppose we take what we can get.

Too bad it probably won’t ever get built to some county council members having a big ego: 

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/county-square-development-moves-forward-with-more-details-from-rocapoint-partners/

The timeline RocaPoint gives for the project hinges on the County Square building:

2019 Finalize county building design.
2020 Building under construction.
2021 County offices move into new building; demo other county buildings.
2022 Install infrastructure for entirety of project.
2023-24 Begin selling off pads for development.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, gman430 said:

Too bad it probably won’t ever get built to some county council members having a big ego: 

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/county-square-development-moves-forward-with-more-details-from-rocapoint-partners/

The timeline RocaPoint gives for the project hinges on the County Square building:

2019 Finalize county building design.
2020 Building under construction.
2021 County offices move into new building; demo other county buildings.
2022 Install infrastructure for entirety of project.
2023-24 Begin selling off pads for development.

Thanks.  So, basically, this project won’t be complete anytime soon.