Greenville County Square redevelopment

gman430

42 minutes ago, johnpro318 said:

I still don’t understand why they don’t have University Ridge connect to Vadry so there’s a straight shot to Academy. The intersection will be a PITA to upgrade but this is our best chance to do it.  It’s so close right now. 

I've pretty confident at this point, that nobody has any idea how to fix the issue.  University Ride connecting to Vadry makes a lot of sense, however that intersection will still be terrible because of the at-grade rail crossing.  This issue stretches back to removing the Camperdown Bridge over the falls.  I think we all agree it was the right move, but it also wasn't a secret that it was going to create traffic issues, that weren't ever resolved.  I thought our best shot would have been the city trying to negotiate for some of the land where the Scott towers were, once they were demolished to have a connector to Dunbar.  But that opportunity seems to have passed as well.        

29 minutes ago, chuckyvt said:

I've pretty confident at this point, that nobody has any idea how to fix the issue.  University Ride connecting to Vadry makes a lot of sense, however that intersection will still be terrible because of the at-grade rail crossing.  This issue stretches back to removing the Camperdown Bridge over the falls.  I think we all agree it was the right move, but it also wasn't a secret that it was going to create traffic issues, that weren't ever resolved.  I thought our best shot would have been the city trying to negotiate for some of the land where the Scott towers were, once they were demolished to have a connector to Dunbar.  But that opportunity seems to have passed as well.        

The Dunbar connection would another smart one. Maybe the city is hoping one day that the spur can be purchased or something as a trail extension and they can redo the road then. I mean hire some engineers, a tunnel or bridge would be expensive though. 

In the old prospectus, aligning U. Ridge with Thruston at least opened up the possibility of aligning Dunbar with it if they could get those buildings at the corner of Dunbar & Augusta. But now the idea is to connect U. Ridge with U. Street (which has a certain logic to it), and run a side connector up Claussen St. If they stick with that, there will be no thru-way associated with this project.

Connecting it with Vardry would doom Brick St. Cafe, Stella's Music Emporium, and several privately owned parcels. It would basically destroy an entire block. Don't see that happening under any scenario.

27 minutes ago, Exile said:

In the old prospectus, aligning U. Ridge with Thruston at least opened up the possibility of aligning Dunbar with it if they could get those buildings at the corner of Dunbar & Augusta. But now the idea is to connect U. Ridge with U. Street (which has a certain logic to it), and run a side connector up Claussen St. If they stick with that, there will be no thru-way associated with this project.

Connecting it with Vardry would doom Brick St. Cafe, Stella's Music Emporium, and several privately owned parcels. It would basically destroy an entire block. Don't see that happening under any scenario.

Run it right beside Stella’s and cut through some of Greenville High’s giant lawn in front. It will need to be realigned anyway to be a right angle. 

I wouldn't worry so much about roads etc as IMHO this project will never happen at least the way it is now. It's simply too massive with too much money involved and too many hands in the pie. I will be shocked if we see any construction in the next 5 years. Hope I am wrong. :tw_cold_sweat: The Gateway Project may start before this, lol.

Edited by apaladin

There is nothing in that article that is unusual or surprising.  If you are seeking to traverse from Church to Augusta, University is the most direct route but both Claussen and Bradshaw  will do the same thing with one turn. In the event of road blockages, Thurston and Harris provide alternatives as well. Dispersing the traffic has advantages.   

A direct connection to Vardry would likely require not only emenient domain but also destruction of historic buildings. Not going to happen.   A direct connection to Dunbar would have made good ssense but to do so would require demolition of existing low income senior housing and taking the former Scott Tower land.   That would be politically very difficult and add considerable delay. 

While traffic will be the biggest single issue, I doubt this will have much difficulty getting approved with some minor tweaks.  

On 6/18/2019 at 1:59 PM, Exile said:

Even easier would have been to move Thruston through the housing authority site.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Breaking News: County Council has just approved the state offices move to the building at Halton Road that is part of the Fluor campus in a 9-2 vote. :yahoo: :yahoo:250,000 square feet of vacant office space will be taken off the market and the full redevelopment of County Square can now move forward. 

Yes! https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2019/07/16/41-m-plan-move-sc-offices-allows-county-square-project-advance/1739387001/

Great to see. Now to get the Planning Commission to approve this at their August meeting. 

Will be good to see the office vacancy take a big reduction from this as well as other smaller absorptions. 

This is what I thought would happen, but I was expecting at least a $1 million price reduction or more from the seller. I guess they knew the council had few alternatives. 

To build new would have been even more expensive.      

4 hours ago, gman430 said:

Breaking News: County Council has just approved the state offices move to the building at Halton Road that is part of the Fluor campus in a 9-2 vote. :yahoo: :yahoo:250,000 square feet of vacant office space will be taken off the market and the full redevelopment of County Square can now move forward. 

Good news. As much of a win-win as this is, It would also have been nice to see the state and county offices go in a new state tallest building downtown, and give us a signature high rise. This is good for both areas however.

• 2 weeks later...