Greenville County Square redevelopment

gman430

• 2 weeks later...

I have read posts from approximately three weeks ago regarding height restrictions in the redevelopment of Greenville County Square.  

There are not many opportunities remaining in Greenville's downtown for the realization of high rise buildings.  High rises can help perpetuate density development for residences, offices, lodging, etc.  Low rise developments staled out.

1 hour ago, apaladin said:

With DeWorken this project is prolly dead now unless it becomes all 1 and 2 story buildings. 

Lol. DeWorken getting elected is bad but he's just one person on a seven member board. What happens with this project isn't just his decision. 

Good story on the new council: https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/greenville/downtown/2019/11/07/majority-democrat-greenville-sc-city-council-election-dorothy-dowe-deworken-knox-white/2507216001/ I can’t wait to see how much they hinder economic development. Developers should not be forced to include affordable housing in their projects. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gman430 said:

Good story on the new council: https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/greenville/downtown/2019/11/07/majority-democrat-greenville-sc-city-council-election-dorothy-dowe-deworken-knox-white/2507216001/ I can’t wait to see how much they hinder economic development. Developers should not be forced to include affordable housing in their projects. 

How depressing that the Party of the Lazy and the Greedy and the Crazy actually holds office in Greenville.  Hopefully once Trump is gone, people will realize what that party stands for.

24 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

How depressing that the Party of the Lazy and the Greedy and the Crazy actually holds office in Greenville.  Hopefully once Trump is gone, people will realize what that party stands for.

Don't be foolish. Local and national politics are completely different languages. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, apaladin said:

To use a phrase from gman430 if I may; "this project is dead". 

Agreed. The new city council is going to cancel this project and raise taxes so the poor people flipping burgers at McDonald’s can live downtown while the middle income people still can’t. 

8 hours ago, gman430 said:

Agreed. The new city council is going to cancel this project and raise taxes so the poor people flipping burgers at McDonald’s can live downtown while the middle income people still can’t. 

At least they're working. What do you have against poor folks? Not everyone is born on the Eastside of Greenville. Not saying I'm for or against affordable housing. I just want the thing built. You've been a little extreme lately with the politics. There are extremes on both sides. I don't like either of them. Dualism and separation creates weakness.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, motonenterprises said:

At least they're working. What do you have against poor folks? Not everyone is born on the Eastside of Greenville. Not saying I'm for or against affordable housing. I just want the thing built. You've been a little extreme lately with the politics. There are extremes on both sides. I don't like either of them. Dualism and separation creates weakness.

What I read gman30’s post as saying is that the new majority will prioritize some groups while ignoring the needs of others who are no less deserving.  That’s a valid point.  

In NYC, the same party is now giving criminals gifts such as baseball tickets to show up to scheduled court dates, while ignoring the needs of law-abiding people who work.  It’s the same issue.

Edited by PuppiesandKittens

42 minutes ago, motonenterprises said:

I have nothing against poor folks. I just don’t understand why there are no affordable options for the middle class downtown. All of the living options downtown are either for rich people or poor people. There’s no in between which is sad. 

43 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

What I read gman30’s post as saying is that the new majority will prioritize some groups while ignoring the needs of others who are no less deserving.  That’s a valid point.  

In NYC, the same party is now giving criminals gifts such as baseball tickets to show up to scheduled court dates, while ignoring the needs of law-abiding people who work.  It’s the same issue.

I think the point is this: politics is a spectrum. From my experience, democrats in Greenville are vastly different from those who run the far left cities. I see this first hand in the leadership of the District of Columbia, where you are correct: they cater to a very specific group of people and lack general regard for the entire tax paying population's needs and safety.

Edited by GvilleSC

I'm not a huge fan of affordable housing either, but the city needs to have something if they won't invest heavily in affordable mass transit and good transition programs to help people who can't afford gentrified areas any longer.

You can't have neither. I think affordable housing is a unsustainable bandaid. My opinion is that cities should be very easy to navigate to and from cheaply and there should be a reduced "stickiness" to moving and people should move to areas they can authentically afford. You can't have neither though.

2 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

I think the point is this: politics is a spectrum. From my experience, democrats in Greenville are vastly different from those who run the far left cities. I see this first hand in the leadership of the District of Columbia, where you are correct: they cater to a very specific group of people and lack general regard for the entire tax paying population's needs and safety.

That’s a fair point although to run for office as a Democrat indicates that the person is not uncomfortable with the lazies and crazies, and to run for office as a Republican   indicates that the person is not uncomfortable with Donald Trump (in each case, except in a primary against a lazy/crazy/greedy or against Donald Trump).  

The whole scene is depressing and losing City Council should be a huge wake-up call to the GOP.

The City almost went to no-party elections a few years ago before outcry among some minority groups prevented it. If that had been the case, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Ultimately, I am confident that we are not going to see any substantial change in how the city is run or in its policies. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

I have nothing against poor folks. I just don’t understand why there are no affordable options for the middle class downtown. All of the living options downtown are either for rich people or poor people. There’s no in between which is sad. 

Okay. That makes sense. I do agree with that. But what is the middle class these days?

24 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

The City almost went to no-party elections a few years ago before outcry among some minority groups prevented it. If that had been the case, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Ultimately, I am confident that we are not going to see any substantial change in how the city is run or in its policies. 

I wish they would. Because the separation that politics creates is just irritating. 

• Like 1