Greenville County Square redevelopment

gman430

On 1/10/2020 at 6:09 PM, gman said:

I vote no on another bridge. What we have is an icon. It’s the only one we need. 

I thought you were kidding when you suggested adding another bridge (being a funny reference to the one we tore down that created falls park).  We definitely dont need another bridge.  

Edited by gvegascple

11 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

I'm not worried about the County at all, it is the City council that might waiver. 

I agree, from the article, it seems as though the city is holding all of the cards.  The county needs the zoning height to give their parcels more value and they need the decision quickly to avoid losing 3.5 million dollar down payment on the relocation property.  It would be pretty crappy for the city to screw over the county and lose this development.  Does anyone really think they would do that?  Again from the article, it seems as though increasing funding for affordable housing was a concession/decision made to further this along in contrast to any previous adversarial posturing

Edited by gvegascple

10 minutes ago, gvegascple said:

I agree, from the article, it seems as though the city is holding all of the cards.  The county needs the zoning height to give their parcels more value and they need the decision quickly to avoid losing 3.5 million dollar down payment on the relocation property.  It would be pretty crappy for the city to screw over the county and lose this development.  Does anyone really think they would do that?  Again from the article, it seems as though increasing funding for affordable housing was a concession/decision made to further this along in contrast to any previous adversarial posturing

I tend to think you're correct. Everyone knows how valuable this is for both entities. Between getting the office space on Halton Rd off the market, and bringing much more valuable land (with extensive sales tax opportunities with restaurants and retail) onto the tax rolls, the City stands to benefit substantially. As long as the new members of council are schooled up, I think there's no way this doesn't pass. But, I tend to be an optimist. 

• Like 4

And here we go: https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/greenville/downtown/2020/01/13/greenville-sc-mayor-knox-white-has-plan-affordable-housing-county-square/4430722002/

Instead of $15 million parking deck, it will be a $10 million one. The extra $5 million will go towards affordable housing along with the $2 million already allocated from the county. This equals the $7 million. 

With this money, land will be bought behind the public health building on University Ridge for a multi-family, mixed-income apartment building with 50-70 units. Greenville Housing Trust will be in charge of the project and building upon completion.

Among those attending Friday's meeting was City Councilwoman Lillian Brock-Flemming. The long-time council member was a solid "no" vote on the County Square project last fall. Now calling it a "beautiful project," Flemming said Friday that she is pleased with the county's cooperation in recent weeks and months.

"The concept that they have is a great concept," Flemming said. "If we had started with them a long time ago, we'd be much further along. They'd be digging ground. And I think we are getting there."

"And to see that they are working towards that, I am excited, I'm excited. I'm excited." 

Edited by gman430

38 minutes ago, gman430 said:

And here we go: https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/greenville/downtown/2020/01/13/greenville-sc-mayor-knox-white-has-plan-affordable-housing-county-square/4430722002/

Instead of $15 million parking deck, it will be a $10 million one. The extra $5 million will go towards affordable housing along with the $2 million already allocated from the county. This equals the $7 million. 

With this money, land will be bought behind the public health building on University Ridge for a multi-family, mixed-income apartment building with 50-70 units. Greenville Housing Trust will be in charge of the project and building upon completion.

Among those attending Friday's meeting was City Councilwoman Lillian Brock-Flemming. The long-time council member was a solid "no" vote on the County Square project last fall. Now calling it a "beautiful project," Flemming said Friday that she is pleased with the county's cooperation in recent weeks and months.

"The concept that they have is a great concept," Flemming said. "If we had started with them a long time ago, we'd be much further along. They'd be digging ground. And I think we are getting there."

"And to see that they are working towards that, I am excited, I'm excited. I'm excited." 

Thanks for the summary for those of us on the other side of the paywall Gman :-)     This all looks positive.  I hope the city doesnt try to abuse the advantage they have over this and does what is in the best interest of both the city and the county.  This is going to be such a huge plus for Greenville in terms of tax revenue and quality of life for those that are downtown

• Like 1

Another interesting tidbit and why it makes sense for the city to vote yes. Can’t forget about the $26 million for the museum/conference center also that the county could pull: 

The county is pushing for zoning changes that will allow for a mix of building heights up to 12 stories and up to 3.5 million square feet of finished space.

However, as City Planning Director Jay Graham pointed out, the county and its private development partner, RocaPoint, will build something regardless of the city's up-or-down vote on rezoning Jan. 22.

Without a zoning change, developers will be able to build structures up to six stories tall — including a $65 million new headquarters for county government at the corner of Church Street and University Ridge. Under these circumstances, Graham said developers could build at least 6 million square feet in finished space. 

The county and developers also would not be required to provide public green space or trails — features of the planned development the city is currently considering. The county also would pull its $2 million commitment toward affordable housing in the Haynie-Sirrine community, its $5 million to $10 million commitment toward traffic improvements around downtown, and $10 million to $15 million toward a parking deck.

"That's not a threat," Mayor White said Friday.

Edited by gman430

19 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Another interesting tidbit and why it makes sense for the city to vote yes. Can’t forget about the $26 million for the museum/conference center also that the county could pull: 

The county is pushing for zoning changes that will allow for a mix of building heights up to 12 stories and up to 3.5 million square feet of finished space.

However, as City Planning Director Jay Graham pointed out, the county and its private development partner, RocaPoint, will build something regardless of the city's up-or-down vote on rezoning Jan. 22.

Without a zoning change, developers will be able to build structures up to six stories tall — including a $65 million new headquarters for county government at the corner of Church Street and University Ridge. Under these circumstances, Graham said developers could build at least 6 million square feet in finished space. 

The county and developers also would not be required to provide public green space or trails — features of the planned development the city is currently considering. The county also would pull its $2 million commitment toward affordable housing in the Haynie-Sirrine community, its $5 million to $10 million commitment toward traffic improvements around downtown, and $10 million to $15 million toward a parking deck.

"That's not a threat," Mayor White said Friday.

It definitely came off as a threat to me as I read it (taking the convention center money unless the county got what it wanted).  It seemed like a weird way to flex their position when they really didn't have the upper hand.  I am surprised the county is on board with the downtown convention center in the first place.  Wouldn't it cannibalize dollars from the existing convention center?  I love the idea of having a beautiful museum/convention center (hotel though, not residential on top, that is odd) on the water but I also feel like having another might jeopardize both centers success.  The back and forth between the county and city started off on the wrong foot in my opinion unless this is how the two groups routinely work together.    

The county doesn't have any skin in the current convention center, so they wouldn't care if it was impacted.  The whole County Square deal should have been handled differently from almost the beginning, but  this is by far the largest and most complex project they have worked on together.  They don't do many projects together as it is.      

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, apaladin said:

Not good. 

Which part? The article seemed fine to me. :dontknow: There’s always going to be a few residents against it no matter how the project looks. They’re just gonna have to live with it. City council members sound like they’re gonna vote yes. 

Edited by gman430

Made it out to the first Listening Session last night. There was some good information, but nothing that most on this board probably were not already aware of. 

Despite the feel of the WSPA report, there was a good bit of positivity and optimism in the room especially from the folks who work for the City. I spoke with one of the staffers who felt good about the project moving forward. As usual, those who oppose things usually scream the loudest. Jarvis Robertson did an interview with me and hearing your voice on camera is always the worst! :silly:

https://www.foxcarolina.com/greenville-asking-residents-for-input-on-county-square-project/video_4eea7502-7f88-5e10-9c56-bf583ac11493.html

In talking with Jay Graham from Planning, I thought it was interesting that they hadn't considered the ratio of 3.5M sqft of development at County Square and how that compares to what is currently in the CBD downtown. Anyone here know about how much square footage exists in downtown currently? Is County Square a 10% increase? Less? More? The folks at the meeting didn't know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1