Greenville County Square redevelopment

gman430

4 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

:lol:

I, too, would really like to see that site be a productive and beautiful entry for people to downtown. However, the site sits off by itself right now, and the center of downtown has drastically shifted south & west (and will be even more so with County Square's redevelopment). I think we need to lower our expectations, with a maximum height of 12 stories.

well the 12 stories is a given, it will be the new standard, good news is we can all build 12 story homes soon.   kidding aside, something that would be really cool and work to balance out the shift south and and west (I totally agree that is happening) would be an architectural tourist/retail destination.  Think about creating something similar (but unique, not a retread) to hudson yards there.  Something to make you want to go just to go check it out, get some nice views of the city, perhaps on top of some substantial retail draws like a very high end mall with Louis Vuitton, etc.

Edited by gvegascple

1 hour ago, GvilleSC said:

:lol:

I, too, would really like to see that site be a productive and beautiful entry for people to downtown. However, the site sits off by itself right now, and the center of downtown has drastically shifted south & west (and will be even more so with County Square's redevelopment). I think we need to lower our expectations, with a maximum height of 12 stories.

Right now expectations are probably for something with ANY stories...   :D

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Is that the gas station? Too bad it couldn't have been bought and integrated.

Yes. The gas station and the employment agency behind it on University Ridge. Hopefully they will sell their sites in the future. 

Edited by gman430

On 1/24/2020 at 8:41 PM, gman430 said:

C4FBCF63-B37E-465A-BA9A-C1174B2D25B9.jpeg

I like the plan, mostly, but really wish they could work to integrate the intersection at Dunbar and Augusta. Unfortunately, I think that ship sailed with the construction at the Scott Towers site.

The benefit could be a drive to execute a road diet on Dunbar St. and decrease it to two lanes with a nice median and sidewalks. This would eliminate what I consider to be one of the worst boundary roads in the downtown vicinity. Right now, the major artery boundaries of downtown are Stone in the North, Academy in the West, Church in the East/Southeast and Dunbar in the Southwest. All the other major boundaries are effectively permeable for communities to access Downtown, or will be very soon. North Main community across Stone with Westone and the coming of Northepointe. The Church St bridge and SRT allow for foot traffic from McBee Station, Pettigru, and the Cleveland Park neighborhoods. Academy has been better breached with the additions of District West, Trailside and eventually the Canvas & AGFA redevelopments, to supplement Heritage Green. Reducing the size of Dunbar could help connect the surrounding neighborhoods, promote walk-ability, and integrate the development of Judson Mill to the downtown area. 

All that is to say that I really just want to promote walk-ability to all parts of downtown and the Southwest seems to currently have the most work to do. Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, Joey_Blackdogg said:

I like the plan, mostly, but really wish they could work to integrate the intersection at Dunbar and Augusta. Unfortunately, I think that ship sailed with the construction at the Scott Towers site.

The benefit could be a drive to execute a road diet on Dunbar St. and decrease it to two lanes with a nice median and sidewalks. This would eliminate what I consider to be one of the worst boundary roads in the downtown vicinity. Right now, the major artery boundaries of downtown are Stone in the North, Academy in the West, Church in the East/Southeast and Dunbar in the Southwest. All the other major boundaries are effectively permeable for communities to access Downtown, or will be very soon. North Main community across Stone with Westone and the coming of Northepointe. The Church St bridge and SRT allow for foot traffic from McBee Station, Pettigru, and the Cleveland Park neighborhoods. Academy has been better breached with the additions of District West, Trailside and eventually the Canvas & AGFA redevelopments, to supplement Heritage Green. Reducing the size of Dunbar could help connect the surrounding neighborhoods, promote walk-ability, and integrate the development of Judson Mill to the downtown area. 

All that is to say that I really just want to promote walk-ability to all parts of downtown and the Southwest seems to currently have the most work to do. Thoughts?

Yea... Dunbar is an unfortunate use/waste of asphalt. Turning it into a complete street would be a big victory. St Francis, along with the surrounding communities, should work with the City on this.