Greenville County Square redevelopment

gman430

1 hour ago, apaladin said:

Glad to hear it did pass. Are you sure there are no more hoops to jump thru? This has been a marathon. I would say 1-2 years before construction starts. 

Just one more vote by the city next week.  Should easily pass. Everything on the county's end is done though. Sounds like the county is happy with the final outcome: https://www.wyff4.com/article/university-ridge-redevelopment-clears-another-hurdle/30772834

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

According to the Greenville Journal, all of the county council members put their hands up so fast to vote yes that if you would have blinked you would have missed  the whole vote. Great to see. Oh and sorry Apaladin but it's happening: 

https://www.greenvillecounty.org/apps/procurementpdf/Uploads/RFP63.pdf and https://www.greenvillecounty.org/apps/procurementpdf/Uploads/NOA30-101119ArchitecturalServicesforHaltonRoad.pdf and https://www.greenvillecounty.org/apps/procurementpdf/Uploads/A9R9464.tmp-signed-signed.pdf

Edited by gman430

3 hours ago, olrob said:

So, uh gman don't ever vote for that Dorothy Dowe lady. (mission accomplished)

Think about it. Out of 19 people, she was the only one to vote no. :mellow: She’s like Greenville’s version of Nancy Pelosi. :lol:

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

From The Greenville News article: 

"[City] Councilman John DeWorken expressed concern over the trend of high-density development in and around downtown but said that the city couldn't risk not being at the negotiating table."

One: he's right that that City couldn't risk not being at the table.. But, he also sounds like a big NIMBY and provides no backup information (at least conveyed in the article) as to why he believes high density developments are bad, and why they don't belong downtown. It's the ONLY place for them in the City, and they're vital. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

"[City] Councilman John DeWorken expressed concern over the trend of high-density development in and around downtown but said that the city couldn't risk not being at the negotiating table."

One: he's right that that City couldn't risk not being at the table.. But, he also sounds like a big NIMBY and provides no backup information (at least conveyed in the article) as to why he believes high density developments are bad, and why they don't belong downtown. It's the ONLY place for them in the City, and they're vital. 

I got a lot of his campaign material and it focused on "vote for me so we don't become Atlanta." Even though building denser projects in the city reduces sprawl. He would rather we literally become Atlanta by building ever inch of land between the GA and NC state line I guess. 

2 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

Thank goodness he and Dorothy are only two people on a seven council member group. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Theurbandeveloper said:

So true, I would love to see that too!.

That will never happen but I get what you ate saying. There are a few really nice lots being used fir surface parking now, namely the one at Main and Broad across from Camperdown. Atlanta has many surface parking lots as does Charlotte.

7 hours ago, apaladin said:

That will never happen but I get what you ate saying. There are a few really nice lots being used fir surface parking now, namely the one at Main and Broad across from Camperdown. Atlanta has many surface parking lots as does Charlotte.

Long dissertation about surface parking lots in Charlotte in 5-4-3-2.....

:D

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, apaladin said:

Yes-- It will be nice to get those prime real estate surface lots developed into more productive uses. Others will follow over time. I would not go as far as to justify the existence of surface parking simply because Charlotte and Atlanta have it. There are things Greenville does do, can do, and should do better than other cities in the urban development/redevelopment realm. 

Edited by GvilleSC

Top 5 lots that I can't wait to see developed:

1.  S Main Street/E Broad Street/Falls Street

2.  E McBee Avenue/Church Street bridge 

3.  The area behind Camperdown along Falls Street/E Camperdown Way all the way to Church Street

4.  S Academy Street and River Street where the museum and conference center are proposed

5.  S Main Street and River Street where The Avant is proposed

I could go on. Quite a few more in the West End and along Academy that would be nice to see developed. And of course County Square is going to be fun to watch and I didn't even mention the Gateway site...:dontknow:

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, SVL said:

Top 5 lots that I can't wait to see developed:

1.  S Main Street/E Broad Street/Falls Street

2.  E McBee Avenue/Church Street bridge 

3.  The area behind Camperdown along Falls Street/E Camperdown Way all the way to Church Street

4.  S Academy Street and River Street where the museum and conference center are proposed

5.  S Main Street and River Street where The Avant is proposed

I could go on. Quite a few more in the West End and along Academy that would be nice to see developed. And of course County Square is going to be fun to watch and I didn't even mention the Gateway site...:dontknow:

Great list -- I would love to see a majority of the lots/buildings between Washington and McBee east of Church Street redeveloped. Lots of midrises would create a nice view coming north on Church Street. It seems like an easy sell as residential given the proximity to Publix and ease of walkability down McBee to Main. 

• Like 2

Sooooo back to the topic of county square redevelopment...

The mentions of walkability around malls or lack thereof does bring up a good point with county square.  The planning needs to have tree lined thoroughfares having sidewalks, benches, etc.  I think this redesign is something haywood and other malls could benefit from.  Most developments now benefit from being mixed use and in the case of malls, that would include bringing the experience outside and connecting it with walkways.  County Square appears to have this covered.

3 minutes ago, gvegascple said:

Sooooo back to the topic of county square redevelopment...

The mentions of walkability around malls or lack thereof does bring up a good point with county square.  The planning needs to have tree lined thoroughfares having sidewalks, benches, etc.  I think this redesign is something haywood and other malls could benefit from.  Most developments now benefit from being mixed use and in the case of malls, that would include bringing the experience outside and connecting it with walkways.  County Square appears to have this covered.

Yes it does. The approved project by City Council makes sure these aspects along with architectural guidelines are included within it.