Greenville County Square redevelopment

gman430

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

Target enters the urban market to boost lagging sales

Target would be a great component of any of the plans for County Square.  OR Camperdown for that matter.   

I agree - Always thought the old BILO on Main was a good spot for this as well. Would definitely filled the grocery store void while offering other necessities.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Target enters the urban market to boost lagging sales

Target would be a great component of any of the plans for County Square.  OR Camperdown for that matter.   

Couldn't disagree more. A big box would be way too low density and suburban for either IMO, even an " urban" one. Leave those out in the burbs and have some quality, high density stuff on those sites. I think it would be a terrible waste of an opportunity.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Couldn't disagree more. A big box would be way too low density and suburban for either IMO, even an " urban" one. Leave those out in the burbs and have some quality, high density stuff on those sites. I think it would be a terrible waste of an opportunity.

Give me one reason why a Target wouldn't be a good fit for the spaces available in this flyer:

Camperdown Leasing

By combining spaces it could take the approx. 28k space that was going to be the theater but is now available.

As far as County Square goes ANYTHING is possible. including a 150k SF store with 10 floors of offices or apartments/condos on top. There are plenty of dense mixed use projects with target or Publix or something similar included.    

We should expect that urban residents have to 'do without' on shopping for basics.  

The Staples at McBee Station would be another option for Target also.   

• Like 2

Well perhaps I just haven't ever really been to an "Urban" development like that, but big boxes that I am familiar with would be an awful waste of space. One story sprawled out store with tons of surface parking - basically like the "urban" Publix at McBee. I suppose if it was a small footprint store that could go at the bottom of something that has a parking garage attached or included could work. As long as it is dense and urban I would be ok, we only have one chance to see these sites get built in our lifetimes, and another McBee Station on these would be very shortsighted in my opinion. 

4 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Well perhaps I just haven't ever really been to an "Urban" development like that, but big boxes that I am familiar with would be an awful waste of space. One story sprawled out store with tons of surface parking - basically like the "urban" Publix at McBee. I suppose if it was a small footprint store that could go at the bottom of something that has a parking garage attached or included could work. As long as it is dense and urban I would be ok, we only have one chance to see these sites get built in our lifetimes, and another McBee Station on these would be very shortsighted in my opinion. 

It most certainly wouldn't be your traditional big box. The County wants the most money for the land and the City wouldn't allow something suburban on that land. 

Here is a great example:

7366685154_82705c4876.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2017 at 1:47 PM, distortedlogic said:

There are plenty of Targets in "urban" developments, with zero surface parking (or zero parking at all) and Targets up to the sidewalk. 

Separately, interesting article about Bell Tower Mall/County Square, with the comment by the original principal's daughter (in the comments section) even more interesting than the article itself.  http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/greenville-roots/2017/03/25/bell-tower-malls-failure-leads-county-square/99569270/

Based on the comment, maybe the redevelopment could have replicas of some of the Furman campus buildings?  My parents said that the old Furman campus wasn't that attractive, though.

Edited by PuppiesandKittens
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't see affordable housing working on this site either due to the sheer cost of purchasing the site and the developer needing profitability from that: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2017/06/03/county-square-redevelopment-proposal-would-offer-affordable-housing/366024001/

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...