Greenville County Square redevelopment

gman430

Went by today a couple of times. Absolutely no one there, nothing going on. I will say the grass is coming up nicely and I hope they keep it cut and dont just let it grow wildly. The grass and tiered surfaces would look nice if they keep it up. They should take the fence down, move some nice playground equipment in and let peeps enjoy the area. 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, apaladin said:

Went by today a couple of times. Absolutely no one there, nothing going on. I will say the grass is coming up nicely and I hope they keep it cut and dont just let it grow wildly. The grass and tiered surfaces would look nice if they keep it up. They should take the fence down, move some nice playground equipment in and let peeps enjoy the area. 

You jinxed it. :angry: :D :fun: 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Danmire said:

Looks like another construction entrance has been added to the low point of the site along Church Street.

That’s actually gonna become an entrance/exit for the parking garage once complete. 

Edited by gman430

• 3 weeks later...

Big update on the development. A lot of demolition to occur later this year:

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2021/03/17/greenville-county-square-construction-largest-redevelopment-in-greenville-sc-history/4703727001/

"We're being approached by an awful lot of outsiders right now wanting to be in the project. It's getting a lot of good publicity," he said. "And people appreciate the location and what it could be, and I think, come later this year, we'll have a lot of good options on what we want to do with our land." 

While the county will wait to demolish the current building until offices have moved to the new space, the other buildings will be demolished later this year. Leonard estimates the county and developer will approve the demolitions in the third quarter of 2021.  

A timeline of anticipated moves includes: 

• The DMV moving out in second quarter 2021. 
  • Family court moving out in third quarter 2021.
  • The health department moving out fourth quarter 2021. 
  • County administration moving out in 2023. 
Edited by gman430

14 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Where is DMV going to? I was thinking they were not going to Halton Rd. but I could be wrong on that. 

That’s a good question and I am not really sure. :unsure: I know the EMS is planning to relocate to the old Bi-Lo at Pleasantburg Drive and Mauldin Road though. 

Also, I wonder if the lack of development announcements downtown lately has anything to do with developers wanting to be a part of this project and them waiting on it. 

Edited by gman430

Here is the last update regarding the DMV from September : 

“The latest possible is an 8,000-square-foot office building at 122 Edgeworth Street just off Pleasantburg Drive. Less than five minutes east of downtown and close to a bus line, the location is also walking distance from the Greenville Housing Authority, the United Way, the state Department of Transportation and CommunityWorks.”