Greenville County Square redevelopment

gman430

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It’s time for the city and the county to start getting aggressive and go after the big fish. If Nashville can land Amazon and Austin can land Tesla why can’t Greenville? WHY CAN’T GREENVILLE? It’s time to go after Synnex and bring them downtown with their corporate headquarters relocating from California. Fortune 100 company all the way: https://gsabusiness.com/news/distribution-logistics/80223/

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2021 at 11:09 AM, GVLover said:

A potential Fortune *100* company should require a downtown high-rise or at least a commitment to a significant lease at County Square to get the ball rolling on that project. I'm sure Greenville and SC will provide whatever incentives to bring the HQ here.

Said this a few days ago when the Synnex news broke.

4 hours ago, gman430 said:

It’s time for the city and the county to start getting aggressive and go after the big fish. If Nashville can land Amazon and Austin can land Tesla why can’t Greenville? WHY CAN’T GREENVILLE? It’s time to go after Synnex and bring them downtown with their corporate headquarters relocating from California. Fortune 100 company all the way: https://gsabusiness.com/news/distribution-logistics/80223/

It's in the long term economic interest of the State of SC to attract their HQ. I'm not typically in favor of tax incentives for large corporations, but in the case of this, it's vital. I hope economic departments on all levels have already begun communications to Synnex expressing interest in attracting their HQ. If we fail at winning their HQ, it speaks volumes and there should be significant scrutiny of public officials. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, gman430 said:

Didn’t realize the new office building is going to have retail and restaurant space on the ground floor until now. 

It would make sense. I remember reading somewhere (don't ask where because I do not remember) that there was going to be space for a coffee shop on the ground  floor. I wonder how many retail/restaurant spaces will be available. This is definitely a positive sign because while I love the architecture of the new County HQ, I feared that it would be just a huge dead spot whenever government business isn't being conducted. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Well...it all started when I was just a lad. A tiny little thing. Me and the fam went to this big city called Atlanta and there I saw this tall steel structure raising long steel pieces to the top of a high rise building under construction. I asked them what that steel structure was called and they said a tower crane. I was so fascinated by it not just by its sheer presence but how it operates. Haven’t looked back since. 

You may have to move to Atlanta :ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Skyliner said:

Those "tall steel structures" are a very rare attraction in Greenville.  We have a common subspecies called "short steel structures."

Lol. Well tall is subjective. I think the Camperdown has decent height.  I think he was talking about cranes in general though. Something doesn't have to be 50 stories tall to get a crane. Lol.

36 minutes ago, apaladin said:

Speaking of tower cranes, the tallest building in Greenville was built without one, correct? 

Don't know but here's a good read on the building. 

" the Daniel Building allowed Greenville's skyline to Rival Atlanta's." :shok:

https://sah-archipedia.org/buildings/SC-01-045-0058

BTW, I've always thought the Daniel building was 305 feet but I am seeing multiple sources that list it at 325. The 305 is from Emporis but i have aways thought that site was off on many buildings. 

Edited by distortedlogic

7 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

BTW, I've always thought the Daniel building was 305 feet but I am seeing multiple sources that list it at 325. The 305 is from Emporis but i have aways thought that site was off on many buildings. 

OK, we now know that the Daniel Building is not "Brutalist," but "New Formalist." A least there's that.....then as soon as I wrote that, I read the next sentence....simultaneously brutalist. Oh well.

And I've long suspected that the 305' v. 325' difference is 1) a measure of the office building itself and 2) a measure from the lowest point of the entire structure, garage included. Google Earth indicates a 25' difference in elevation between the SE streetcorner (highest) and the NW streetcorner (lowest). That's my guess.

Edited by Exile
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

I'm glad you brought this building to our attention in light of our recent conversations.  The Landmark (Daniel) Building is an excellent example of a solid structure that was designed and constructed using high quality products, but is not widely considered "visually attractive."  The exterior facade could definitely use a makeover to enhance its appeal to commercial investors, even if such a change would be considered a downgrade in the quality of materials.  I like the newly designed facade of Asheville's tallest building, as an example.  Could the Landmark Building in Greenville be redesigned to look somewhat similar to that building in Asheville or the First Citizens Bank building in Columbia?  If so, then it could become an attractive opportunity for investors again.

Edited by Skyliner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1