Greenville County Square redevelopment

gman430

• 1 month later...

31 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Wow, look at that tower! :rofl:

Ehhh…it was never gonna be a tower anyways thanks to the NIMBY’s and city council. Hopefully the 12 story buildings that are slated for the site get built. They should look fairly tall on that hill.

Edited by gman430

6 hours ago, gman430 said:

Ehhh…it was never gonna be a tower anyways thanks to the NIMBY’s and city council. Hopefully the 12 story buildings that are slated for the site get built. They should look fairly tall on that hill.

Oh I know. That was a total stab at all the G-news articles that kept describing this building a "tower." :lol:

38 minutes ago, johnpro318 said:

To be fair, they do that all over the country so it’s not just G-News.

Let's get some perspective...this is also considered a tower...

A tower is in the eye of the beholder

Sorry I'm not adding much to the discussion, but I'm hungry....

.macbeth-fast-food.jpg.4263a2219d2dea8a3b0c23abce7dd514.jpg

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, apaladin said:

Any tower cranes or just more 5 story buildings? :dontknow:

They won’t even be five stories. Trying to get a high rise built downtown is like trying to get JetBlue, Breeze, or Alaska at GSP. It’s never gonna happen. Might as well move to Austin or Nashville where they are actually progressive and know how to get the job done. 

13 hours ago, gman430 said:

They won’t even be five stories. Trying to get a high rise built downtown is like trying to get JetBlue, Breeze, or Alaska at GSP. It’s never gonna happen. Might as well move to Austin or Nashville where they are actually progressive and know how to get the job done. 

:hi:See ya!

• Like 2

On 1/28/2022 at 11:02 PM, distortedlogic said:

[Image - 175315] | The Picard Song | Know Your Meme

I have to admit I am one of the folks fine with the heights they came up with.   Without tenants lined up, wouldn't we get nothing at all if we held out for taller buildings?  I am not saying rush to build short crap (I am looking at you 98 E. McBee) but something that anchors and spurs development while allowing room to grow.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, gvegascple said:

I have to admit I am one of the folks fine with the heights they came up with.   Without tenants lined up, wouldn't we get nothing at all if we held out for taller buildings?  I am not saying rush to build short crap (I am looking at you 98 E. McBee) but something that anchors and spurs development while allowing room to grow.  

I think many of us are with you on that (clearly not everyone). I think more height should have been *allowed*, with the acknowledgement that the market will drive what is *warranted*.  You could be allowed 20 stories by right, but only find that 8 stories are warranted by market forces. If that's the case, only 8 stories will be built.  Greenville is not the same position, but setting height limits have negatively affected many places across the country, from New York and San Francisco to Washington, DC and Charleston. They have the potential of creating a demand problem and affordability crisis. Again, Greenville is not in that camp right now, but precedent and examples do exist. 

• Like 4