Greenville County Square redevelopment

gman430

1 hour ago, gvegascple said:

I have to admit I am one of the folks fine with the heights they came up with.   Without tenants lined up, wouldn't we get nothing at all if we held out for taller buildings?  I am not saying rush to build short crap (I am looking at you 98 E. McBee) but something that anchors and spurs development while allowing room to grow.  

Let the market instead of the local citizens decide what can and can’t be built. If a large company wanted to move their corporate headquarters to downtown Greenville and build a 30+ story building, this is one less site they will be able to do it on. 

Edited by gman430

28 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Let the market instead of the local citizens decide what can and can’t be built. If a large company wanted to move their corporate headquarters to downtown Greenville and build a 30+ story building, this is one less site they will be able to do it on. 

I am not a fan of letting the market decide everything without some degree of regulation or oversight.   The market wouldn't care about impacted communities in that area.  30 story HQ? That would be a nice problem to have and I would  expect a special exception depending on things like impact studies and remedies to be included in the project which wouldn't happen if things were just market driven.

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

I would like to see some similarity in height across the area though.  Dropping in a 18 floor building in a city full of 2 and 3 story buildings (looking at you Spartanburg) looks absolutely awful.  What I would ideally like to see, and I've said it from the beginning, is to see our area continue to organically grow.  That's saying, fill the area with mid-rise buildings in the 7-15 floor range.  Once most vacant lots are full, lots will be worth more and taller buildings will start to come.  As long as we have vacant parking lots downtown, I really don't see the reason for a 30 story building.

• Like 3

^^^ To be fair, we shouldn't really talk in terms of stories for such blanket statements. Residential and hotel uses are typically 3-4' shorter per floor than an office use.

An office building of 15 stories (at 14' floor-to-floor) would be 210' tall. A residential building of the same height (at 10' floor-to-floor) would be 21 stories. So, heights should really be looked at by use.  Height limits set in # of stories or in number of feet both have their issues. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

It extends downtown but that is about all I can say. Nothing really imaginative or different from what else we've seen built recently and absolutely no height here. I actually like the concept rendering for Union Bleachery project better, but it is what it is.

Yeah, we have known for years there wasn’t gonna be much height with this project due to area residents concerns. Nothing allowed over 12 stories tall. Still should look good on that hill though. And the layout looks really nice IMO. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, gman430 said:

AC658B1F-847C-45CE-86C4-4D2F09319400.webp

This makes it look like the highest buildings are 8 levels. A couple of buildings of 12 stories (with smaller floor plates) would break things up pleasantly amongst all of the long massings in this rendering. Of course, this is all still quite early and likely not what we will see actually built. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The one building located between the parking garage currently under construction and Falls Park looks awesome. Hopefully the partners they choose decide on the 12 story version.

“The initial offering includes 3 multi-family sites; one 8-12 story high-rise by the Reedy River and two wrapped parking garage structures. KDS and Roca Point Partners are currently interviewing companies to build these multi-family entities. The multi-family partners will be chosen and under contract by Q3 2022.”

Edited by gman430
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Agreed that this looks great.  I hope that the retail component will be substantial destination retail; the residents of Alta Vista and Augusta Road need a Target.

If retail just is a dry cleaner's and a Starbucks and a nail salon--ok, but we need more, please.  Bell Tower Mall was originally proposed as a high-end retail center with luxury anchors; it's about time for something like that, plus a Target.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/square-feet/1-billion-greenville-county-square-set-for-summer-2023-move-in/

UPSTATE BUSINESS JOURNAL

The project at a glance

• $1 billion total investment
  • $65 million County Square administrative building
  • 40 acres of development
  • 3.5 million square feet total
  • 250,000 square feet of retail, dining and entertainment space
  • 1,800 luxury rental homes
  • 200 hotel rooms

This includes:

Retail/food and beverage: 2 buildings

Retail core: 1 building

Office over retail space: 4 buildings

Office alone: 1 building

Multifamily residences over a grocery store: 1 building

Multi-family residences over retail space: 3 buildings

Multi-family alone: 1 building

Parking: 2 structures

Hotel over retail: 1

• Like 3

On 4/24/2022 at 1:56 PM, GVLover said:

Apologies for the quality of these renderings, the gallery of the linked website didn’t show large images for me that could be downloaded. 

https://kdsproperties.com/county-square-redevelopment/

F5BC65D2-63FB-4D20-990D-49CF4368BEC4.jpeg

5F6B30A8-7EF3-4663-81FB-2C1614FE65B3.jpeg

DA481625-9D44-4330-A226-358678AC6557.jpeg

41EEB75D-1169-4AD1-9F61-B3FEF0EA9670.jpeg

6DF2C755-85C4-465C-866F-2DF8599AFD16.jpeg

DD23A119-5F64-405E-B66E-9C24E2CF0A8B.jpeg

I really like the building in this last pic, mainly because it is different and breaks up the monotony.  I find the other renderings very uninspired. They look like just another round of the same boxy, flat roof, boring, lazy architecture. Surely there is an architect out there that can think outside the box (pun intended)!

3 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

I really like the building in this last pic, mainly because it is different and breaks up the monotony.  I find the other renderings very uninspired. They look like just another round of the same boxy, flat roof, boring, lazy architecture. Surely there is an architect out there that can think outside the box (pun intended)!

I generally like where their heads are at. Especially given that they're only looking at rentals right now. Let's keep in mind though that these are still only just inspirational pics. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What's next for Billion dollar development at County Square 

The buildings have two main levels. The terrace level will house the county’s Probate and Magistrate courts. The lobby level will house the tax offices, real property services, council chambers and retail space.

Land next to the new office structures has been cleared and graded in preparation for construction of three multifamily residential buildings, two with parking garages, as part of the next phase of the redevelopment.

KDS Properties had estimated closing on the first three multifamily projects by the second quarter of 2022 but no announcements are ready yet. The company is still negotiating with potential developers, said Mark Masaschi, partner at KDS.

Those projects include an 8- to 12-story high rise by the Reedy River and two parking garage structures that will be wrapped by multifamily housing units, according to KDS.

Much of the project timeline depends on how quickly the county can find a new headquarters for its emergency services department, which won’t have a home in the new administrative buildings. Greenville County Administrator Joe Kernell has recommended the county move EMS to South Pleasantburg Drive as part of McAllister Square, which is already owned by the county and could be repurposed as the hub for emergency services.

In all, the county plan approved for the site includes the three multifamily buildings next on the radar and four more multifamily structures totaling 1.7 million square feet of residential space with apartments and condos. It also includes one million square feet of office space, including 120,000 square-feet of loft office space, a hotel, grocery store, a 60,000-square-foot fitness center, street-level retail and restaurants throughout the development, and a movie theater planned to anchor the central retail hub.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

What's next for Billion dollar development at County Square 

The buildings have two main levels. The terrace level will house the county’s Probate and Magistrate courts. The lobby level will house the tax offices, real property services, council chambers and retail space.

Land next to the new office structures has been cleared and graded in preparation for construction of three multifamily residential buildings, two with parking garages, as part of the next phase of the redevelopment.

KDS Properties had estimated closing on the first three multifamily projects by the second quarter of 2022 but no announcements are ready yet. The company is still negotiating with potential developers, said Mark Masaschi, partner at KDS.

Those projects include an 8- to 12-story high rise by the Reedy River and two parking garage structures that will be wrapped by multifamily housing units, according to KDS.

Much of the project timeline depends on how quickly the county can find a new headquarters for its emergency services department, which won’t have a home in the new administrative buildings. Greenville County Administrator Joe Kernell has recommended the county move EMS to South Pleasantburg Drive as part of McAllister Square, which is already owned by the county and could be repurposed as the hub for emergency services.

In all, the county plan approved for the site includes the three multifamily buildings next on the radar and four more multifamily structures totaling 1.7 million square feet of residential space with apartments and condos. It also includes one million square feet of office space, including 120,000 square-feet of loft office space, a hotel, grocery store, a 60,000-square-foot fitness center, street-level retail and restaurants throughout the development, and a movie theater planned to anchor the central retail hub.

I hope McAllister Square isn’t truly in play for the emergency services considering the City seems to want that property redeveloped as well.