Greenville County Square redevelopment

gman430

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I standby my past comments on the inappropriateness of a single-use building in the development. However, I'll say that this is certainly a quality coup for the development. Hopefully this sets a good precedent for what is to come as tenants (not massing and architecture). 

10 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

And it’s certainly a step up from the Bell Tower Mall Winn-Dixie.

A step up from something that hasn't existed for more than 3 decades? I would say Greenville is a step up from where it was 3 decades ago. 

Edited by GvilleSC
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

I standby my past comments on the inappropriateness of a single-use building in the development. However, I'll say that this is certainly a quality coup for the development. Hopefully this sets a good precedent for what is to come as tenants (not massing and architecture). 

A step up from something that hasn't existed for more than 3 decades? I would say Greenville is a step up from where it was 3 decades ago. 

I don’t understand your sentence, as my statement was an offhand remark.  Was it offensive or contentious?

19 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

I don’t understand your sentence, as my statement was an offhand remark.  Was it offensive or contentious?

I was hoping for Piggly Wiggly instead. :( Also, why is the WFM in Uptown Charlotte allowed to have condos above it but this one isn’t? 

Edited by gman430

By the way, the layout of the grocery store goes against GVL 2040 and the master plan that was approved by the Planning Commission. I’m really curious to see what happens when they try and get building permits for it from the city. It might not be as easy as the developers think especially with the new zoning laws coming up for approval. 

Edited by gman430

I couldn't agree more with the stand alone comments; that should not be allowed, it should have to be at the bottom of a bigger development. That is really going to take away from what was supposed to be higher density, of course the height restrictions already limited that.  As for Whole Foods, I guess its a good get for a name, but its another place most people, including me, will never go to. There's a reason its often called "Whole Paycheck." With inflation and costs so high, most families cannot afford to pay twice again for groceries. It's a good national name to have attached to this development I guess though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

I couldn't agree more with the stand alone comments; that should not be allowed, it should have to be at the bottom of a bigger development. That is really going to take away from what was supposed to be higher density, of course the height restrictions already limited that.  As for Whole Foods, I guess its a good get for a name, but its another place most people, including me, will never go to. There's a reason its often called "Whole Paycheck." With inflation and costs so high, most families cannot afford to pay twice again for groceries. It's a good national name to have attached to this development I guess though.

It will attract other nicer national chains that aren’t just women’s clothing stores. 

Love Whole Foods but hate they are not going mixed use. Whole Foods has built quite a few nice looking buildings with a residential component over it in cities over the last 5 years

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=AJOqlzV_tG5JcRvE72eM7dPF4yNe6yL3AQ:1679331108098&q=mixed+use+whole+foods+building&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjC6aHx--r9AhUinGoFHcgHCeYQ0pQJegQICRAB&biw=412&bih=686&dpr=3.5

Edited by NewlyUpstate

1 hour ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

I’ll stick with the downtown Publix but I think that Whole Foods is a great addition.  It should be a destination store that will attract other retailers.  And it’s certainly a step up from the Bell Tower Mall Winn-Dixie.

Yes. I hope it doesn't drain business from Publix or the twin Harris Teeter stores. I hate seeing empty retail buildings. I would stick with Pub and HT too over contributing to the Amazon monopoly of retail.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, apaladin said:

So when is the high-rise so to speak next to the newly completed offices be built. Any idea? 

Completion for phase 1 which includes that building and Whole Foods Market is slated for Fall 2024 so my guess would be Summer or Fall 2023 for construction start but that’s just a guess. And who knows if that Fall 2024 completion date is still valid. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1