Greenville County Square redevelopment

gman430

The proposed WFM has to be submitted for review and approval by PC staff. Minor modifications to the master plan are allowed. If it’s a major modification from the master plan though which in this case it appears to be then it has to be reviewed and approved by City Council instead. We will see what happens.

Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

The proposed WFM has to be submitted for review and approval by PC staff. Minor modifications to the master plan are allowed. If it’s a major modification from the master plan though which in this case it appears to be then it has to be reviewed and approved by City Council instead. We will see what happens.

I'm just excited to see a good case study for something that clearly doesn't follow the initial design so early on in the project.  I was expecting to see more grey area divergents. It'll be interesting to see what kind of transparency we get on the design process and approvals between the developer and the city, as up to now its been extremely nebulous.. at least to me.. as to what this would look like in reality. This is compounded by the fact that Amazon/Whole Foods is always seen as an "unmissable" opportunity by many communities.  Hopefully we should see more of those types of companies in County Square, but cities who are actually worth their weight are still able to push back on fulfilling their every demand and get developments that meet the needs of both the company and the public.

I expect what happens here to heavily influence the next 5 years of development in this space.

Edited by NewlyUpstate
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

I couldn't agree more.

I hope the City flexes their muscle on this in a show of force to set the tone. Providing surface parking and a single-use building would seem to go against the vision and priorities of the City. At the starting gun, they would immediately be eroding the pedestrian friendliness of this entire development. 

What I find VERY interesting is that the developers (as did many of us, but for different reasons presumably) balked at the height restrictions that got imposed on the site. The developers were handed a cap to the number of square feet they could possibly build on the entire site. If they were truly upset by this maximum potential to their ROI, they would be maxing out every square inch of buildable area. Interestingly, they're proposing things like surface parking and 1-story grocery stores when they're allowed much higher uses. 

This.

If the development is allowed as is it will really change the vision this development was sold under. It  is already greatly limited with height; a single use grocery store would further reduce the usability of the site and greatly limit it's potential. Hopefully the powers that be will show some gumption here. I know people like Whole Foods but sacrificing the vision of the development further, just to allow a company with a big name, would be a huge mistake IMO. If they really want to be there, there is no reason they can't be part of a larger development that is closer to the vision. If they refuse, then they are welcome to go elsewhere.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, gman430 said:

The opening of the county office buildings has been delayed due to issues with the gold colored roof side panels. They’re actually taking them off today. Uh oh. 

Last week, a County employee told me that their updated move-in date is about a month out now. I wonder if that factored in this particular delay? I'm not sure how up-to-date their information was... 

Project Blue. $51+ million investment and 303 new jobs. Financial related company apparently. Completion by end of 2024. County Council meetings for incentives approvals: 

First reading: May 16th

Second reading: June 6th 

Third and final reading: June 20th 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Project Blue. $51+ million investment and 303 new jobs. Financial related company apparently. Completion by end of 2024. County Council meetings for incentives approvals: 

First reading: May 16th

Second reading: June 6th 

Third and final reading: June 20th 

We don't know where this be located yet, right? 

5 minutes ago, GVLover said:

We don't know where this be located yet, right? 

My guess is that it involves the office building currently being pre-leased by CBRE in the first phase but that’s just a guess. The fee in lieu tax agreement says the site is University Ridge so it’s definitely somewhere on the County Square redevelopment site. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

4 story office building in the center of the site? <_< 

It will have retail and restaurant space on the ground floor but yeah you’re right. I know there are height restrictions on site but they could have at least made this building along with others on site 12 stories tall. This development is starting to turn into what Magnolia Park did sadly. It could have been something great but now it’s just meh especially with the suburban looking Whole Foods Market. 

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

It will have retail and restaurant space on the ground floor but yeah you’re right. I know there are height restrictions on site but they could have at least made this building along with others on site 12 stories tall. This development is starting to turn into what Magnolia Park did sadly. It could have been something great but now it’s just meh especially with the suburban looking Whole Foods Market. 

I get the stepping down of size toward the existing residential areas, but this is literally at the center. I did notice that this is not a change from the most recent renderings, just additional views. Anyway, at the end of the day, it should be a great development. I just want it to have the gravitational pull that makes it worthy of the site.