Greenville County Square redevelopment

gman430

2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

I see the render shows Lima One as the tenant. 

I didn't realize they were an actual business until you said that. I wonder if they're the financial company in line for a tax break at County Square? Would make sense to me. 

17 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

I get the stepping down of size toward the existing residential areas, but this is literally at the center. I did notice that this is not a change from the most recent renderings, just additional views. Anyway, at the end of the day, it should be a great development. I just want it to have the gravitational pull that makes it worthy of the site.

I hope you’re right but believe this will eventually be very disappointing and look like any suburban village of 4 and 5 story buildings. Magnolia Park that gman440 pointed out is a great example of what could have been great but wasn’t. I could see the new county office buildings turning out to be the tallest on the site. 

On 5/16/2023 at 4:27 AM, gman430 said:

Two new renderings: 

91D33F62-D115-4C33-8A4F-8F116EB814FC.jpeg

34B69923-C2A7-4777-934B-E6DDA4F918F9.jpeg

On 5/16/2023 at 5:58 AM, gman430 said:

It will have retail and restaurant space on the ground floor but yeah you’re right. I know there are height restrictions on site but they could have at least made this building along with others on site 12 stories tall. This development is starting to turn into what Magnolia Park did sadly. It could have been something great but now it’s just meh especially with the suburban looking Whole Foods Market. 

I guess my biggest concern with the whole site is that the city has touted it as "transformational," yet the plans and scope don't seem to fit that. I agree that the site is a very rare opportunity to truly transform the downtown of a growing city and it should be treated as such. I guess I envisioned stronger architecture and denser development than the conceptual renderings show. We really only get one chance to do this site and whatever is built will be there for at least a half century or more.  The architecture and uses of the site so far don't seem to fit the billing to me. Does it extend downtown and utilize a previously wasted space? Absolutely, yes. Is it transformational and truly give Greenville a different level for it's downtown? That remains to be seen but the concept doesn't seem to show that. I mean these renderings look like anywhere suburban office park.

9 hours ago, ingvegas said:

Need for commercial space is declining. Larger buildings may be residential. 

I disagree. The Class A office vacancy rate in the CBD continues to drop quarter after quarter and is now down to 1.77% according to the latest Q1 2023 office market report for Greenville from Colliers. Project Blue is also 303 new office jobs for County Square so the demand is clearly there. 

Edited by gman430

On 5/4/2023 at 1:23 PM, apaladin said:

A better question is when are they going to start on the next building next to the parking garage? 

Backhoes and bulldozers from Bishop Mays on this site now. Fresh survey stakes also. It’s probably nothing for the proposed building though. 

Edited by gman430
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2023 at 7:35 AM, gman430 said:

Backhoes and bulldozers from Bishop Mays on this site now. Fresh survey stakes also. It’s probably nothing for the proposed building though. 

Obviously not. Will the 2 county office buildings turn out to be the only ones built? Seems to be moving awfully slow and if only building one building at a time it is going to take forever. 

6 hours ago, apaladin said:

Obviously not. Will the 2 county office buildings turn out to be the only ones built? Seems to be moving awfully slow and if only building one building at a time it is going to take forever. 

There are still building supply issues. It takes longer to build anything these days. 

On 5/29/2023 at 12:58 AM, apaladin said:

Ehhh…it doesn’t matter. Just a bunch of boring five story buildings and a suburban looking Whole PayCheck. Yawn. 

Concrete sewer pipes and large construction equipment for the new road infrastructure network are starting to arrive on site where the old DHEC building was. Backhoes for building demolition showing up at the main parking lot of County Square also. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, GVLer said:

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/square-feet/greenville-county-square-welcomes-the-perch-kitchen-tap-as-first-restaurant-tenant/

This will likely be a nice addition but having two new restaurants in town both named 'Perch' is not ideal.

Yeah that's weird. The Perch is an established brand though. Its in Wicker Park and was pretty good when I went. 

https://www.theperchchicago.com/

Which building is that within the development? Looks like it actually has some height to it. 

Trees starting to come down on and around the DHEC site. Silt fencing starting to get installed with more heavy equipment arriving on site also. 

Edited by gman430

Based on the fountain, it looks like the office building that we've seen Lima One's sign atop previously. However, this particular image does appear to have more height. Given the unrefined nature of the rendering though, I wouldn't put too much stock into the number of floors. 

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

Which building is that within the development? Looks like it actually has some height to it. 

Trees starting to come down on and around the DHEC site. Silt fencing starting to get installed with more heavy equipment arriving on site also. 

It’s the 5 story one, just one of many! :rofl:

7 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

Based on the fountain, it looks like the office building that we've seen Lima One's sign atop previously. However, this particular image does appear to have more height. Given the unrefined nature of the rendering though, I wouldn't put too much stock into the number of floors. 

Yeah, it looks like the Perch is going to be in that standalone building between the fountain and the Lima One building. Maybe just maybe they decided to make the Lima One building taller due to Project Blue. We can only hope. 

Edited by gman430

8 hours ago, chuckyvt said:

I'm typically a glass half full type of person, but could that parking garage look any worse?  If the vision was a prison for cars, they succeeded.     

The only thing that I don't like is that it looks larger than the building. Maybe it will scale out when the other buildings are built.

Where is my Target and, secondarily, a Dillard’s or Dick’s Sporting Goods?  

There was a proposal for a Walmart across Church Street a few years ago, and Bell Tower Mall had lots of discounters, so there is precedent.  Downtown retail is mostly $150 shirts for your Crescent Avenue cocktail party; I need regular stores.

Edited by PuppiesandKittens

I don't know why anyone is still talking about Bell Tower Mall. It's been dead and gone for over three decades. If the precedent for big box retailers were that strong on this site, the mall would still be functioning and thriving.

Edited by GvilleSC
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

I don't know why anyone is still talking about Bell Tower Mall. It's been dead and gone for over three decades. If the precedent for big box retailers were that strong on this site, the mall would still be functioning and thriving.

Walmart wanted to put a store at the intersection of University Ridge and Church Streets about 10 years ago but neighborhood opposition stopped it.  There is plenty of demand for “normal” stores in the area.  Bell Tower died because its main anchor liquidated and the mall was poorly executed.