Greenville County Square redevelopment

gman430

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Thx gman...a big meeting with an important decision that impacts the city & that vicinity for decades.

Very exciting! Would've loved to have seen all the proposals but I guess that's not going to happen. I feel like if it had been city property there would've been a lot more community involvement. Either way I hope the county has been conscious of all aspects of how this development will impact or even transform downtown. And at least until Monday, one can hope there will be at least a decent sized highrise component of the project; after some research I found out the 17 story One Liberty Square building is just under 250,000 square feet. I feel it would be smarter to have a smaller footprint and taller building for county offices, thereby conserving more space on the property for future development. However I doubt that's what we will see. 

I'm not in the know, Jet Set, but I agree. Based on what we've heard about suggestions for this area ( 6 story max), the fact that it's close to neighborhoods, and the mere trend for DT, leads me  to believe we'll see a pretty large foot print. I doubt we'll see any more than about 10 stories, and that may be pushing it, eight may be more likely. I'm also afraid of it being a modern shoebox as well, with little detail or imagination, as that also seems to be the trend. The only sliver of hope I have for height is the one time proposal for "project skyline" at this site that was said to have called for a 30 story building with multiple buildings on the site. Of course that was prior to the recession, and we've had no highrises even proposed since, let alone built.

Edited by distortedlogic

11 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

I'm not in the know, Jet Set, but I agree. Based on what we've heard about suggestions for this area ( 6 story max), the fact that it's close to neighborhoods, and the mere trend for DT, leads me  to believe we'll see a pretty large foot print. I doubt we'll see any more than about 10 stories, and that may be pushing it, eight may be more likely. I'm also afraid of it being a modern shoebox as well, with little detail or imagination, as that also seems to be the trend. The only sliver of hope I have for height is the one time proposal for "project skyline" at this site that was said to have called for a 30 story building with multiple buildings on the site. Of course that was prior to the recession, and we've had no highrises even proposed since, let alone built.

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath for anything over ten stories on the county square site. Luckily, it's up on a big hill.

I would consider ONE, Aloft, and Camperdown to be highrises but that's just me. The federal courthouse and office building coming to Camperdown should be highrises too. 

Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, gman said:

Is a consideration about the use of a tall building in a high traffic county office building? There are going to be hundreds, if not thousands of people using the building on a daily basis. I'm just asking for discussion. 

There is some logistical issues with not having a big enough floor in a government building...

For instance, the first floor will likely have the main lobby, council chambers, and the main courtroom (if not all courtrooms). Not to mention the ambulance center.

Also, the main lobby will have to have security and the space for that...

That takes up a lot of space right there.

Edited by ausrutherford

Enjoy the visions/speculations....suspect the main structure will have substantial square footage (20-25K) on each floor with several elevators available to handle the volume of pedestrian traffic for all the agencies, etc. I vision the building to be 10-12 floors. Will be interesting to find out the final decision of the council!

Edited by cabelagent

• 1 month later...
The county is negotiating with RocaPoint Partners of Atlanta, Southeast affiliate of  The Georgetown Company of New York.

They're said to be working with the London developer Foster + Partners that designed Apple Park, Apple's HQ. 
Edited by gman430

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...