St. Jasper Redevelopment

vicupstate

St. jasper redevelopment plans moving forward

St. Jasper has been a hot topic on the peninsula for months now.  A ruing on the original proposal is possible soon but appeals are likely.  There is a negotiated compromise that Beach Company doesn't seem to want and an alternative that keeps the building in place.  

You can see the proposed new buildings in that alternative here:

http://www.charleston-sc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/03092016-1936

• 3 months later...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

BAR approves Jasper design

Looks like this is a sure thing now.

The large building - one of the largest the board has ever reviewed - includes ground-floor retail spaces totaling 25,000 square feet, and a 75,000-square-foot office space along Barre Street.

It will house 222 residential units, a slight reduction from past proposals. That has allowed for more amenities, including a fifth floor terrace and outdoor pool, as well as a fitness center.

The Beach Co. President John Darby has said the company expects to raze the existing 1950 apartment building sometime this summer.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
16 hours ago, erm1981 said:

12 story's.  This thing has to be at the height limit for Charleston.

It is far beyond it. But since the prior building was no taller, they allowed it as grandfathered.  The old St. Jasper was built before the limits in place now had been enacted. 

The original plan was for a project that conformed to the height limit as it no stands,  It would have been 4 stories IIRC. Opposition over the proposed Publix being opened 24 hours caused The Beach Company to pull that idea altogether and go with this. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 4:13 PM, vicupstate said:

Take a good look at it because it will be the tallest crane you will likely EVER see in Charleston. 

I drove by the construction site 2 weekends ago and I didn't think the cranes were any higher then the cranes used for WestEdge but it's also possible one or both of the St. Jasper cranes will be raised higher as the building goes up.   But yes Charleston will never have any really tall cranes.

On 5/3/2019 at 4:13 PM, vicupstate said:

Take a good look at it because it will be the tallest crane you will likely EVER see in Charleston. 

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they build something taller in the neck area.  12 stories is tall enough though for Charleston.  

1 minute ago, erm1981 said:

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they build something taller in the neck area.  12 stories is tall enough though for Charleston.  

I should have specified the Lower and Upper Peninsula. I could definitely see something that tall at Magnolia or elsewhere on the Neck.  I really think Charleston should go very high (for Charleston) density on the Neck.  The growth and the demand is there, and the land is not plentiful. 

39 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

I should have specified the Lower and Upper Peninsula. I could definitely see something that tall at Magnolia or elsewhere on the Neck.  I really think Charleston should go very high (for Charleston) density on the Neck.  The growth and the demand is there, and the land is not plentiful. 

Yeah true.  I think so also.  On some of the projects we have in North Charleston-(Park Circle) the land also has to go through many DHEC asbestos abatement procedures in  order to start construction.  This is very costly means and methods.  I believe Magnolia has the same obstacles all though I have not researched it in depth.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...