W Hotel, 16 stories, 183', 350 rooms

smeagolsfree

12 minutes ago, bigeasy said:

So of course the design is not the most exciting. But I don't really think we can really judge the project based on what we have seen so far with renderings. 

This, it's always humorous when people judge a project based on early initial renderings

• Like 2

When was the last time in Nashville a final design turned out to be significantly better than the concept/plan schematics and renderings? If anything they tend to become even more watered-down. Call me cynical if you'd like, but my cynicism is based on the many past disappointments.

Larry Papel and Mark Bloom do no more than they need to do... to wit: the Hilton Hotel downtown.  That thing is just a dump, and personally I despise atrium hotels... but when they built it, it was the only hotel anywhere near Broadway and the arena had just opened.  They did just what they needed to do. 

Edited by MLBrumby

12 hours ago, titanhog said:

I'm not a developer...but why wouldn't you split the lot into two parcels...with this building on one lot (and twice as tall)...and then develop something else later on the other lot? 

I haven't looked it up but I think 16 is the DTC max for this site (its like 10 + bonus) without going through whatever appeals process. 

1 hour ago, NashRugger said:

I believe someone had posted some really nice renderings of a "proposed" hotel a few months back but are probably buried in The Gulch thread somewhere. Most everyone was pretty excited with the design and I think it was for this lot.

These, I assume:

On 8/18/2015 at 5:52 PM, gannman said:

Possible Edition Hotel for the Gulch

Hotel_zpsljfvxftc.jpgScreen%20Shot%202015-08-18%20at%205.50.2

It is for the same lot, but hey, plenty of room across 12th. Will have to fight Nashville Urban Venture for it, though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Leif said:

I haven't looked it up but I think 16 is the DTC max for this site (its like 10 + bonus) without going through whatever appeals process. 

You are correct. They get bonus for LEED, below grade parking for sure. The height may be 12 thru there, but I can never remember. Sixteen is the max though.

18 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I agree that the height limits are stupid. Metro knows it will get more tax dollars for a taller structure on a smaller parcel of land. They are afraid of all the nimbys that will be dead and gone one day.

it blows my mind that there could possibly be any NIMBYS in the Gulch of all places

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

How on earth could someone complain about a skyscraper blocking their views while living in a skyscraper that blocks peoples' views?  The lack of perspective some people have is just mind-boggling. 

Because there are a LOT of people who are "Me-First" in this world.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, samsonh said:

If you're in town and have time, go to a planning commission meeting sometime. It will make you realize the WIDE variety of grievances people have.

Those are painful meetings because those folks try to drag things out and do not understand Robert's Rules of Order. There are many citizens that are clueless morons that show up and expect to read a manifesto and realize they only have 5 minutes to speak.

• Like 3