W Hotel, 16 stories, 183', 350 rooms

smeagolsfree

22 minutes ago, Ingram said:

I keep seeing hatred towards MDHA. What exactly have they stopped developers from building? Did they deny any waiver requests from developers? If not, why the hate? Seems strange.

They are actually super free market, which is why you see boxy buildings ironically.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, samsonh said:

They are actually super free market, which is why you see boxy buildings ironically.

Is a box anything with four corners? If so what city doesn't have those in their downtown? 

Is a box a building that is a cube? If so, then they certainly don't make up the majority of buildings downtown.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 1

I see constant grumbling about Nashville being nothing but boxes. Looking at downtown I don't see it.

One Nashville Place, A T & T, Pinnacle, Sobro, JW Marriott, 505, L & C Tower, Nashville City Center, Fifth Third, Bank of America Plaza, Palmer Plaza, Skyhouse, Bridgestone, and The Westin are not boxes. If built the two First Ave buildings and KVB One are not boxes either. That's a minimum of 14 to 17 buildings downtown that are not boxes. Yet there is constant grumbling about every building in Nashville being a box. Weird.

The only boxes I see of noticeable height are the two gulch buildings, Fifth and Broad, the Polk building, and the Sheraton. And really I don't see anything wrong with those buildings.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, samsonh said:

What exactly have they stopped developers from building?

I've always thought of it as frustration at zoning limits. Like in Rutledge, what real reason was City Lights knocked down, as an example? Other than "zoning is limited to just this many floors" is that actually a good reason to make a developer redo their plan into something smaller than they intended? That's just paper and ink as far as I'm concerned. How in the world do other cities build density, but we can't? I'm pretty sure the answer is something to do with "old Nashville" mentality.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ingram said:

Is a box anything with four corners? If so what city doesn't have those in their downtown? 

Is a box a building that is a cube? If so, then they certainly don't make up the majority of buildings downtown.

Not disagreeing and I have no problem with it. Was simply commenting on the quoted post.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's the full story from The Post on the MDHA approval of updated designs for The W Hotel.  As discussed previously, there will no longer be a residential component to the project, but 100 more hotel rooms were added.  There still needs to be some slight modifications to the outdoor dining level component---but, for the most part, it looks like everything is a go. Overall, it will be a 16 story structure. No word on start date, but I would think once the dining element is squared-away, things should move forward quickly.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20867948/metro-approves-vote-on-w-hotel-planned-for-gulch

Screen Shot 2017-07-18 at 2.11.35 PM.png

• Like 4

sorry for not going back through this whole thread, but, where will this be located at within the Gulch?

-edit- the article sort of helps, so it will be sort of ~behind~ the Laurel House building facing 12th...right?

Edited by bhibbs

Thanks for the reminder.  I had not realized the footprint for the W was not going to include the Market Street parking lot.   

Has anyone else ever walked the stretch of Pine St between 11th and 12th on a sunny afternoon?  The concave Thompson Nashville acts like a magnifying glass and there is a bright hot spot as the sun reflects off The Thompson and moves across the sky.    I'd say 3pm-5pm is the most noticeable time to witness this.   There are some trees that line the street that have some dead limbs.  Not sure if that is related, but they do fall within the trail of light.  Will be interesting when The W recognizes this fact.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thenorthchannel said:

Thanks for the reminder.  I had not realized the footprint for the W was not going to include the Market Street parking lot.   

Has anyone else ever walked the stretch of Pine St between 11th and 12th on a sunny afternoon?  The concave Thompson Nashville acts like a magnifying glass and there is a bright hot spot as the sun reflects off The Thompson and moves across the sky.    I'd say 3pm-5pm is the most noticeable time to witness this.   There are some trees that line the street that have some dead limbs.  Not sure if that is related, but they do fall within the trail of light.  Will be interesting when The W recognizes this fact.

We're getting off easy, look at this dystopian building in London that sets stuff on fire.  It is also proof that curves don't automatically a beautiful building make.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-23930675
http://www.nbcnews.com/science/how-london-skyscraper-can-melt-cars-set-buildings-fire-8C11069092

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2017 at 5:33 PM, markhollin said:

The Tennessean's take on the approval.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/07/18/w-hotel-approved-setbacks-new-404-kitchen-and-restaurant-space-crescent-music-row/487050001/

Under the latest design, the project that's planned for the 1.29-acre Griffin Plaza site on 12th Avenue South between Laurel and Pine streets would have 345 hotel rooms, two restaurants, a rooftop bar and a coffee shop. It would also include a 10,000 square foot pool deck and bar, a live music venue, 13,000 square feet of meeting space and 3,000 square feet of retail space, according to documents submitted to the MDHA committee. 

The Gulch needs another coffee shop.  [said with a hint of sarcasm]

• Like 1