NC Civil Rights

southslider

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, southslider said:

The state just nixed the city's expansion of civil rights. If remembering the reaction in Indiana, wonder which national events or even companies will be the first to pick a more welcoming locale.

Bye bye X-Games, I wonder how long until the NBA All Star Game pulls out.

I once enjoyed myself, with my gay best friend at a barbecue at Pat's house 15 years ago. Now I just think he is one of these: 

200265129-001.jpg

Dow Chemicals has already condemned the bill on Twitter.  Prepare for heavy, heavy back lash across the country.  These bumpkin-ass-backwards, GOP morons need to hurry up and die.  Small government my ass.

sadly I almost hope we lose th all star game or some large company because of this.  Just to prove a damn point.  Ugh.

Also very worried about Pay Pal.  Red Hat just condemned it as well.

This is for sure a move in the wrong direction for sure and will hurt NC's reputation. Why doesn't the legislature focus on things to actually benefit the state instead of changing new laws put in place benefiting "those scary transgender people." Why must everything be an us vs. them mentality. How about working on getting things done with compromise and level-headed legislation rather than rash reactions to a bill that goes against the party platform?

If the GOP would drop their archaic social policy ideals being forced on them by the extreme right wing, they would appeal to so many more people.

This is a touchy subject that those on both sides feel very strongly about. And some of the reasoning behind the GOP's view is quite valid, putting bigotry aside.

Let's just hope this round of negative national attention doesn't hurt NC's competitiveness much.

12 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

This is for sure a move in the wrong direction for sure and will hurt NC's reputation. Why doesn't the legislature focus on things to actually benefit the state instead of changing new laws put in place benefiting "those scary transgender people." Why must everything be an us vs. them mentality. How about working on getting things done with compromise and level-headed legislation rather than rash reactions to a bill that goes against the party platform?

If the GOP would drop their archaic social policy ideals being forced on them by the extreme right wing, they would appeal to so many more people.

This is a touchy subject that those on both sides feel very strongly about. And some of the reasoning behind the GOP's view is quite valid, putting bigotry aside.

Let's just hope this round of negative national attention doesn't hurt NC's competitiveness much.

Truth.  Through our major elections in 2012 I've been GOP my whole life.  The last 4 years their social issues and "we're for small government..  haha jk we only believe that where dems are concerned otherwise we love spending on defense etc.." policies are killing me.  Libertarians can't rise soon enough.  Had a few cocktails so I probably need to get off my soapbox before I fall off :) 

15 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Truth.  Through our major elections in 2012 I've been GOP my whole life.  The last 4 years their social issues and "we're for small government..  haha jk we only believe that where dems are concerned otherwise we love spending on defense etc.." policies are killing me.  Libertarians can't rise soon enough.  Had a few cocktails so I probably need to get off my soapbox before I fall off :) 

I don't know, you sound pretty lucid to me. I'm in exactly the same boat. I was a moderate Republican most of my life, mostly fiscally. The social agenda of the party has slowly pushed me away. I tend to be pretty angry at the whole group these days.

No idea why this is formatted this way...

This is another reason why I think Mecklenburg should succeed from NC and join SC. But on a more likely and realistic point, I hope the GOP and McCrory loose this November, they are nothing but a bunch of blood-sucking leeches and they do not represent NC residents' point of view, because 1) Democrats got more votes in 2012 than Republicans and 2) Approximately 67% of NC Residents believe in LGBT Protection. 

I also hope that more companies here in NC speak out against this Bill, I hope NC does not go down a path like Indiana or Georgia, but it looks like we are. 

Let me get this straight. If a gay person feels discriminated they cant even take it to court anymore? 

http://www.wbtv.com/story/31561457/new-nc-law-affects-more-than-bathrooms-and-lgbt-rights

"Under the existing law or the law that used to exist, you had three years to file your wrongful termination lawsuit. Under federal law you have 180 days only," Van Kempen said.

"Cutting off state court access for workplace discrimination is bad for workers and NC brand," 

Polls show Cooper and McCrory in a dead heat, and I think Cooper has much more growth potential as more voters learn about him. McCrory has a very rocky incumbent term to fight. (Bev Perdue learned that lesson.)

Legislative seats are a whole different animal. Most of them are completely safe. The state democrats have been gifted a lot of fire power, but now they need to wield it correctly. They need to correct their past disorganization to do that.

NBA might pull out next year...This bill will have significant consequences. 

"The NBA is dedicated to creating an inclusive environment for all who attend our games and events. We are deeply concerned that this discriminatory law runs counter to our guiding principles of equality and mutual respect and do not yet know what impact it will have on our ability to successfully host the 2017 All-Star Game in Charlotte.”

8 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

That is such BS.... WE passed the ordinance. If it wasn't for us passing the ordinance, there would've been nothing to strike down. 

Shut down Chicken farms in Eastern NC, not us.

They were going to do it anyways. There were other municipalities that had the same ordinance before Charlotte. They passed the state bill in one day, if that tells you anything. 

2 hours ago, mpretori said:

Let me get this straight. If a gay person feels discriminated they cant even take it to court anymore? 

http://www.wbtv.com/story/31561457/new-nc-law-affects-more-than-bathrooms-and-lgbt-rights

"Under the existing law or the law that used to exist, you had three years to file your wrongful termination lawsuit. Under federal law you have 180 days only," Van Kempen said.

"Cutting off state court access for workplace discrimination is bad for workers and NC brand," 

But is good for businesses....even the ones that are considered progressive!

10 minutes ago, mpretori said:

How is it good for the state when fortune 500 companies are violently against the decision and major events are considering changing locations? 

The "violently" against is the bathroom aspect of the legislation.....the discrimination clause which was inserted into the legislation (typical Republican style) the Bathroom clause  concerning the use of restroom facilities is really what is causing the firestorm.  You can still file for any type of discrimination with EEOC which is Federal..this legislation just eliminates it on the state court level.   Now if companies or organizations start reacting by cancelling relocations, event etc etc, then the stooges in the state legislature will respond....other then that we as voters need to come out in full force.  This year I see myself voting straight Democratic for all levels of government.

8 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Well that's reason to be upset. I can see both sides of the bathroom issue but that add-in eliminating the ability to file for discrimination on the state level is absurd. Why on earth did they think that would be ok?

As individual employees (and voters) this certainly limits the ability to sue for discrimination and sure, businesses may say they are against it publicly, but why would a business ever really be upset that people have less ability to sue them? I don't see this being a huge reason for a business to avoid NC. Actually, it seems a business would see NC as a lower risk environment for them with this law. 

Again, as individuals and voters there is certainly reason to feel rights are being deprived. But businesses...I just don't see why people think they will be mad about this. 

On 3/25/2016 at 11:23 AM, GeauxCLT said:

As individual employees (and voters) this certainly limits the ability to sue for discrimination and sure, businesses may say they are against it publicly, but why would a business ever really be upset that people have less ability to sue them? I don't see this being a huge reason for a business to avoid NC. Actually, it seems a business would see NC as a lower risk environment for them with this law. 

Again, as individuals and voters there is certainly reason to feel rights are being deprived. But businesses...I just don't see why people think they will be mad about this. 

Businesses may not be mad; they may not even give a ...fig. But they don't want the stink of bad publicity and the potential for lawsuits against them.

They've made their opening statements. I don't really see any jobs leaving Charlotte immediately, but this church goon legislation could be a deciding factor in some future relo/expansion. It could be easy for the NBA to say forget the All-Star game. It could be very easy for the NCAA (who wants no bad news at all about anything right now) to pull tournament games. Same perhaps with the ACC, though less likely than with the NCAA.

But where it really has an impact is 2-3-4 layers down. The much-desired millennial cohort begins to cross Charlotte off its list. Talent becomes harder to recruit to a burg run by a state government enthralled with church goons. Breweries, new restaurants, new stores never open because of less-than-expected demand. Call center jobs may come but cutting-edge, high-paying jobs never will. And it was hard enough to attract those to begin with because we have no major research university.

We dodged the bullet of Amendment 1 because of the Obergefell decision just 2-3 years later. Short of another court case or a major business defection, I'm not sure how we dodge this. And I promise you it will not go away. This legislation is not about the bathrooms. That was just a convenient hook. This is a back-door RFRA. LGBT activists will not tolerate that.

The NCAA has a well known  history for trying to withhold games as a means of protest. They wouldn't let USC's women's basketball host their first round in the tournament for years because of the rebel flag flying on the state capital in Columbia. I could very easily see them pulling out of various events if this continues to blow up.

6 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

The NCAA has a well known  history for trying to withhold games as a means of protest. They wouldn't let USC's women's basketball host their first round in the tournament for years because of the rebel flag flying on the state capital in Columbia. I could very easily see them pulling out of various events if this continues to blow up.

Yep. Easy for them to do. Cheap virtue. 

3 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

The chickens will come home to roost if the PGA pulls the 2017 tournament from the grasp of lil Johnny Harris, McCrory's bosom buddy, and all his Republican brothers at Quail Hollow.  

Johnny Harris is a long-time Democrat so I don't know if they're really bosom buddies or it's merely a transactional relationship.

But if anyone could be useful in rescinding this legislation, he could.

Archived