NC Civil Rights

southslider

Now some members of the Reichpublicans in the Senate are calling for Charlotte to pay the $42,000 bill for the special session.  I encourage you all to politely call/email/tweet/Facebook message these members of the SS (state senate) and demand that they pay the millions of dollars in legal fees that Charlotte has incurred to thwart their attempts to take over the airport.  

http://m.wbtv.com/wbtv/db_330726/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=QGRMgtR6

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read some of comments on Jeff Jackson's Facebook page, it shows how stupid and ignorant the senate is. 

https://www.facebook.com/Jeff-Jackson-NC-Senate-District-37-245711905631405/?pnref=story

Such as, Tom Apodaca (R-Henderson) telling a constituent to move after a polite email about Tom telling CLT to pay for the special session:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153530800112607&set=p.10153530800112607&type=3&theater

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 3:00 PM, tarhoosier said:

It was about 20 years ago that I realized that every workman, tradesman, handyman, repair man that was at my house of at other homes in the neighborhood actually lived outside Mecklenburg. A few had their his company located in Meck, but his personal home was elsewhere. Where does a tradesman salary buy a decent family home, good schools, reasonable safety In Charlotte? I think I have the answer.

Is it possible to move this topic to the Charlotte Coffee house? 

Did y'all see various state agencies tweeting McCrory's attempt to "explain" what the national media isn't telling you?  Yes, NCDOT, NCDHHS, and 3-4 others were tweeting about this.....obviously at his direction.  He also sent the same propaganda to every state employee via e-mail.  Several contacted the N&O to suggest McCrory is breaking the law by using state resources for an unrelated political issue.  And I think they have a point.

I love all the big businesses condemning this legislation, but unless some of them actually DO something, their condemnations don't accomplish much as far as I can tell.

Why is it that the decisions being made in Raleigh have the consequence of businesses hypothetically cancelling plans and events in Charlotte?  Charlotte was the city that passed the ordinance that got revoked by the state in the first place.  If anything, Raleigh proper should be the one getting boycotted by businesses, not the town that's attempting to improve civil rights.  Charlotte losing business would probably only stand to make the country-bumpkin representatives grin. 

I too am turning Libertarian this voting cycle.

Georgia Governor Deal decides to veto his state's discrimination bill at the same time lawsuits begin to pour into North Carolina.  Here's hoping McCrory and the legislature get creamed.  Major downside is now spending the money to defend all the bigotry.  Really longing for the days when we could say "At least we're not Alabama".

1 hour ago, AuLukey said:

Why is it that the decisions being made in Raleigh have the consequence of businesses hypothetically cancelling plans and events in Charlotte?  Charlotte was the city that passed the ordinance that got revoked by the state in the first place.  If anything, Raleigh proper should be the one getting boycotted by businesses, not the town that's attempting to improve civil rights.  Charlotte losing business would probably only stand to make the country-bumpkin representatives grin. 

I too am turning Libertarian this voting cycle.

The bumpkinista would love nothing better than to see Charlotte collapse.

1 hour ago, Miesian Corners said:

I never really cared for the idea of changing the name of UNC Charlotte until last week. Thinking now that "The University of Charlotte" has a much better ring to it. If ever a time existed that I loathe the "NC factor", it's now.

1 hour ago, kermit said:

^ I am with you on that now (I have also changed my tune). Not long ago there was considerable value in being attached to the UNC system of schools. That time has now passed.

In New York State, the 2 most prominent State University of New York ("SUNY") campuses are now known simply as The University at Albany and The Universitiy at Buffalo; and, colloquially, they're just called "Albany" and "Buffalo" without any further identification.

Some time in the 70's, I believe, Indiana University and Purdue University, the major state institutions, were combining their Indianapolis campuses and operations. There was some discussion of how to name the affiliate while somehow not making Indiana or Purdue feel misused or neglected. Indianapolis University seemed the most natural and had significant local and area support. Before the change could be decided a local college named Indiana Central College jumped and renamed themselves University of Indianapolis. So it can happen here.

The indianapolis state university campus is now IUPUI. A hopeless and impossible name with ridiculous connotoations.

On 3/25/2016 at 0:40 PM, Silicon Dogwoods said:

Businesses may not be mad; they may not even give a ...fig. But they don't want the stink of bad publicity and the potential for lawsuits against them.

They've made their opening statements. I don't really see any jobs leaving Charlotte immediately, but this church goon legislation could be a deciding factor in some future relo/expansion. It could be easy for the NBA to say forget the All-Star game. It could be very easy for the NCAA (who wants no bad news at all about anything right now) to pull tournament games. Same perhaps with the ACC, though less likely than with the NCAA.

But where it really has an impact is 2-3-4 layers down. The much-desired millennial cohort begins to cross Charlotte off its list. Talent becomes harder to recruit to a burg run by a state government enthralled with church goons. Breweries, new restaurants, new stores never open because of less-than-expected demand. Call center jobs may come but cutting-edge, high-paying jobs never will. And it was hard enough to attract those to begin with because we have no major research university.

We dodged the bullet of Amendment 1 because of the Obergefell decision just 2-3 years later. Short of another court case or a major business defection, I'm not sure how we dodge this. And I promise you it will not go away. This legislation is not about the bathrooms. That was just a convenient hook. This is a back-door RFRA. LGBT activists will not tolerate that.

Now that Governor Deal of Georgia has vetoed its version of the RFRA legislation, North Carolina has the ignoble distinction of appearing to be the most homophobic and intolerant state in the entire country.  See coverage of Georgia veto here:  http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/mar/28/georgia-governor-vetoes-religious-freedom-bill/

Unfortunately, we can't easily separate Charlotte's reputation from North Carolina's.  I wholeheartedly agree with Silicon Dogwoods regarding "an impact 2-3-4 layers down".  In addition to looming tourism and sports boycotts, the most talented of the Millenial generation will definitely avoid relocation to firms operating in N.C., including Charlotte.  It's terribly unfair to Charlotte, but the rancid odor of bigotry, intolerance, and invidious discrimination can't be evaded, and its pall will cast the entire state, including our beloved city, in a very negative and harsh light.  This is devastating to Charlotte's hopes of ever being viewed as a premier global city.  That's over until this offensive and bigoted legislation is rescinded.

It's pretty incredible to think that McCrory managed to sabotage his own gubernatorial campaign in the matter of 1 week.  He's always garnered a fairly decent amount of the independent vote, and managed to capture the vote of a portion democrats across Mecklenburg county, myself included.  I can assure you that, over the past week, he's made my choice in November very clear.

edit:  I'll be intrigued to see what the upcoming polls look like, post HB2.

I too voted for McCrory back in 2012, thinking he would do wonders for CLT, but he already snuffed his chance of me voting again for the GOP and the recent LGBT issues was just the cherry on top! 

Back to the LGBT rights issue, NC has had a lawsuit filled against them:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/28/us/north-carolina-gender-bathroom-lawsuit/index.html

I voted for Obama/McCrory. I will be complete straight ticket Democrat for many elections to come. Period. For me, it started with the airport authority. Then the threats to the blue line if we used property taxes for the gold line. Then more restrictions on self governance. Then the annoying way economic incentives were handled. Now this wasn't the tipping point. This just further motivates me to vote against the GOP at all cost possible.

Here's an Op Ed from Charlotte Agenda re the harm caused by HB2:  https://www.charlotteagenda.com/tag/op-ed/

A lawyer’s perspective on why HB2 is a plague infested rat

Mr. Herrmann writes: "North Carolina joins Mississippi as the only two states that do not offer their citizens state law protection against the most basic forms of discrimination" (i.e., race, sex, age  disability, national origin, or religion).

I am in Quebec at the moment but despite the distance I am getting the sense that the wheels are begining to come off the yall Qeada  bus today:

http://www.hpenews.com/market-authority-some-marketgoers-threaten-to-boycott-over-lgbt-bill/article_08fe62ca-f503-11e5-bb2c-f3fc9e64f9e1.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

"I love all the big businesses condemning this legislation, but unless some of them actually DO something, their condemnations don't accomplish much as far as I can tell."

Until you hit the GA sees a dollar and cent effect of their actions, nothing will change.  Money is what drives them.  Unitl you make it hurt, they won't give a damn about what you think of the situation. 

1 minute ago, Third Strike said:

I want to see McCrory get the boot, too. But nothing is going to change unless enough Republicans lose their seats to break their veto-proof majority. 

Nope.

Look at what happened in Indiana last year. GOP Governor and GOP legislature. They undid that crap pretty fast.

If the NCAA and NBA pull out. If Paypal announced it is going to 'reexamine' it's decision to come to NC, and conventions start getting cancelled statewide, THEN you will be shock how fast they walk it back.  

21 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

I want to see McCrory get the boot, too. But nothing is going to change unless enough Republicans lose their seats to break their veto-proof majority. 

And I doubt that will happen with the district borders in the GA the way they are now.

Archived